Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EMF Buys WPLJ/New York, WYAY/Atlanta, WRQX/D.C., More From Cumulus

EMF Buys WPLJ/New York, WYAY/Atlanta, WRQX/D.C., More From Cumulus

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...wrqx-d-c-more-

"EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION is buying Hot AC WPLJ/NEW YORK, News-Talk WYAY/GAINESVILLE, GA-ATLANTA, Hot AC WRQX (MIX 107.3)/WASHINGTON, Triple A KFFG/LOS ALTOS-SAN JOSE, Hot AC WZAT (102.1 THE SOUND)/TYBEE ISLAND, GA-SAVANNAH, and Classic Rock WXTL (THE REBEL 105.9)/SYRACUSE from CUMULUS MEDIA INC. for $103.5 million."
    Radio station employee...<br />Amateur photographer...<br />Cat slave...<br />Sarcasm expert...<br />Annual USA visitor...

Wow.

ANY possibility of Mix moving to 105.9 and WMAL shifting back to AM only?

This is terrible news when one considers the tremendous progress Cumulus has made over the past 12 months in rebuilding Mix 107.3 into a formidable station. Someone will almost assuredly pick up the Hot AC format. I cannot see Cumulus dumping WMAL, though.

So, in New York, Cumulus is left with failing 770 WABC, massive failure 103.9 WNBM, and ho-hum 94.7 Nash FM.

I'm a little surprised they didn't sell WNSH-FM to EMF and move Nash from 94.7 to 95.5.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post

I'm a little surprised they didn't sell WNSH-FM to EMF and move Nash from 94.7 to 95.5.
    They traded WNSH to Entercom for 3 stations in Indianapolis

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post

So, in New York, Cumulus is left with failing 770 WABC, massive failure 103.9 WNBM, and ho-hum 94.7 Nash FM.
    Nash was swapped to Entercom. Entercom is giving up their Indy cluster to Cumulus in return.

Quote Originally Posted by atthestars View Post
    Nash was swapped to Entercom. Entercom is giving up their Indy cluster to Cumulus in return.
    If it were me, I would have swapped 95.5 to Entercom and flipped it to Country, then sold 94.7.
    Radio station employee...<br />Amateur photographer...<br />Cat slave...<br />Sarcasm expert...<br />Annual USA visitor...

Quote Originally Posted by leethalweapon View Post
    If it were me, I would have swapped 95.5 to Entercom and flipped it to Country, then sold 94.7.
    They would have received less cash that way. They clearly want the cash to pay down the remaining debt. That's why they're doing this.

That is a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by BJSteigner View Post
    That is a mistake.
    No it’s not. Radio is and always has been a busine$$.

While Mix has significantly improved, PLJ has had terrible billing and mediocre ratings for awhile (the ratings stinking go back to at least the early 2K). E-com probably couldn’t get the stick anyway because it might get the DOJ involved.
    Last edited by ksradiogeek; 02-13-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atthestars View Post
    Wow.

ANY possibility of Mix moving to 105.9 and WMAL shifting back to AM only?
    WMAL way out billed Mix (more than two to one) and the FM is needed to compensate for the large loss of signal when the AM moved its transmitter site to be able to sell the land. They got more for the land than an AM station is worth!
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 02-13-2019 at 10:44 PM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast