Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 498

Thread: PLJ SOLD

  1. #471
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Least View Post
    G That's not at all why listeners left. It's that they like more rhythmic music. Perhaps because the rhythmic stations play more actual new and modern songs from those formats that people lean that way.
    You actually get it, but these statements "break" your argument.

    Interest in new music drops off dramatically somewhere after age 30. That's where you find adults accepting a couple of new songs each month, but not seeking out sources for music discovery per se.

    So the record industry, the artists and radio don't push a lot of new music at the over-35 crowd.

    And, as mentioned before, the 18-34 group, also known as Millennials, is nearly half ethnic in today's USA and the music that is being demanded is rhythmic and pop sounding, not rock.

    Radio is not going to program new rock to an audience that, for the most part, no longer exists.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  2. #472
    Regarding those "2 minute (radio) listeners" I wouldn't use the adverb 'eventually' haha most of "us" have long used WAZE or SigAlert and Yahoo weather

  3. #473
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post



    Interest in new music drops off dramatically somewhere after age 30. That's where you find adults accepting a couple of new songs each month, but not seeking out sources for music discovery per se.

    Wow, I'm about your age, David, and I'll be the first to admit that I am a total anomaly in the respect that I seek out new music and I get quite a fill of it on AAA non-coms like KCSN/KSBR 88.8 FM. Even WXPK 107.1 The Peak has fewer new adds. AND of course I support ($$$) what I listen to. I feel so out of touch (haha)

  4. #474
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

    Stations that have tried to play newer rock in any significant amount have failed. Research by stations exploring format options does not show current rock as an option. Millennials, those 18-34's who are the group that contains nearly all the new music experience people, are far less interested in rock at all than the same group 10, 20 years ago were. That group, now approaching 50% ethnic in the US, wants more rhythmic material and rock is far less appealing..
    And to many in the former happy hunting ground of rock -- youhg suburban white males -- rock of any stripe is increasingly seen as "dad's music," with less of a sense of rebellion and danger than gritty, urban rap. The real-life beefs that the music media report on in such detail only adds to the music's appeal. Also, with new rock of the sort preferred by listeners to stations like KLOS having even less appeal to women than the rock of their parents and grandparents, that part of the millennial demo has abandoned rock for country and rhythmic pop. Even as a complete outsider, I find the evidence for rock's decline impossible to deny. The largest number of rock fans have aged out of the sales demos. That is not going to change given the changing ethnic mix and the increasing popularity of rhythmic genres among young white people. There is no profitable pie slice for FM to claim anymore or in the future, no matter how "hip" or deep-playlisted any programmer tries to make his or her station. (Her? Has a woman EVER programmed a modern/hard rock station? Many have a female jock or two, but do they ever move up to MD or PD? They sure do in country, pop and urban.)

  5. #475
    The obvious question then is what are the possible reasons Entercom operates alternative stations in several large markets, including New York.

  6. #476
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperRadioFan View Post
    Wow, I'm about your age, David, and I'll be the first to admit that I am a total anomaly in the respect that I seek out new music and I get quite a fill of it on AAA non-coms like KCSN/KSBR 88.8 FM. Even WXPK 107.1 The Peak has fewer new adds. AND of course I support ($$$) what I listen to. I feel so out of touch (haha)
    I'm 64 and I sometimes check out The River (WRSI Turners Falls, Mass.) and The Point (statewide network of AAA stations in Vermont) when I'm driving up to visit family in New Hampshire. The Point is what my 54-year-old brother listens to almost exclusively. WFRD Hanover is the active rock station in that area of New Hampshire. It's no ratings powerhouse, but I'd imagine it probably does better than most nationally due to the lack of diversity in that area's population, and that area can also support two AAAs (Great Eastern Radio's WWOD (The River) in Woodstock, Vt., being the other) better than most because, outside the transient Dartmouth College student body, most folks up that way are older than the national average.

  7. #477
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The obvious question then is what are the possible reasons Entercom operates alternative stations in several large markets, including New York.
    It has been reported that Entercom's big boss is a big fan. This barely passes the sniff test with me, but I can't see any other way to account for it. Bizarre behavior for a modern corporate radio exec, to be sure.

  8. #478
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,873
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperRadioFan View Post
    Regarding those "2 minute (radio) listeners" I wouldn't use the adverb 'eventually' haha most of "us" have long used WAZE or SigAlert and Yahoo weather
    And that, of course, neglects to take into account the fact that 2 minutes is not enough for the listening to be credited to a station. It takes listening in five discreet minutes in a quarter hour to get credit for that quarter hour.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  9. #479
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,873
    Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    It has been reported that Entercom's big boss is a big fan. This barely passes the sniff test with me, but I can't see any other way to account for it. Bizarre behavior for a modern corporate radio exec, to be sure.
    That is the only answer I get. Apparently the corporation favors the format, despite its somewhat mediocre results in many of the markets they have put the format in. Miami, about the least alternative market in America, is a borderline disaster; the market is about 75% ethnic. NYC, with perhaps 70% ethnic and immigrant populations, is also an unperformer.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  10. #480
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    You actually get it, but these statements "break" your argument.

    Interest in new music drops off dramatically somewhere after age 30. That's where you find adults accepting a couple of new songs each month, but not seeking out sources for music discovery per se.

    So the record industry, the artists and radio don't push a lot of new music at the over-35 crowd.

    And, as mentioned before, the 18-34 group, also known as Millennials, is nearly half ethnic in today's USA and the music that is being demanded is rhythmic and pop sounding, not rock.

    Radio is not going to program new rock to an audience that, for the most part, no longer exists.
    I believe that the reason for Rock being seen as "Dad's music", as you rightfully stated, is because the majority of what is played on Rock radio is what I mentioned as older 90s songs. I'm out of the norm of what you present as the "normal person 35 and older." I get that. I know that my interest in new music is due to my love of music as a whole. New Country is really the only music that doesn't suit my taste. And I run from classical with Mozart, Beatoven, etc, through the 1920s with Let's Misbehave to 2019 and much of what is played now. My roots are in Rock and The Blues, but I have an appreciation for most forms of music.

    I feel a mess was created about 15 years ago when the decision was made to remain 90s focused, which caused a decline in listenership. And here we are a generation later, and you're right. Rock isn't considered rebellious anymore. But, that isn't because of the genre declining on it's own. It's because of a systemic decision to shut out new bands/acts, which stopped it from evolving in the mainstream. It has evolved, but is now underground. I compare it to tearing down a species natural habitat, thus effecting its evolution. My aim is to call it out and hope someone in terrestrial radio ponders what I am saying and corrects the wrongs that the radio industry did to the format for the last decade and a half. Nobody has tried it with solely modern music. It has been a hybrid of Classic Rock or what is now "new classic rock" under the guise of modern rock.

    The corporations in terrestrial radio caused this. I blame the now defunct CBS radio more than anyone else. After what happened to K-Rock, WYSP, and WBCN, I saw them making the same argument that it didn't pull in ratings. Yet, they neglected to recognize how much they stunted the playlist and kept to the overplayed songs. They did the same thing and blamed the listeners. When WBCN went HD Radio only, I posted these sentiments on their website, the same as I do here today. What I got in return was the post deleted and an email stating that I was unwelcomed to post there. As that was 10 years ago, I don't have any proof of that, just my word. So yes, I do hold a big chunk of the blame on terrestrial radio. If they allowed the format to evolve gracefully as it did from the 60s to the 90s, I think this would all be different.

Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

     
Useful Contacts
Community


123