Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: PLJ SOLD

Cumulus all but exits the number one market, and if WABC and that Urban station go, Cumulus has gone. Will other major markets go? LA, Chicago? Cumulus becoming an owner of small, medium and large (but not major) markets?

Quote Originally Posted by ai4i View Post
    The all-new:
    Where People Love Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by erwin33 View Post
    My 'god' I post this little joke also on the dentist board last evening, he deleted it...pff.
    Click on the little triangle and report him to the ADA.
    Plugged into the electric radio

Quote Originally Posted by gr8oldies View Post
    Cumulus all but exits the number one market, and if WABC and that Urban station go, Cumulus has gone. Will other major markets go? LA, Chicago? Cumulus becoming an owner of small, medium and large (but not major) markets?
    In an interview following the announcement yesterday, the Cumulus CEO said that Chicago is one of their best clusters in the company. So probably not Chicago.

Interesting news from the Radio Insight site:
    Concurrent with the sale applications, Entercom has applied to move 94.7 WNSH Newark NJ to one of the Lyndhurst NJ towers currently utilized by iHeartMedia’s 710 WOR New York. From the new site WNSH will operate with 40kW/166m. That brings the station as far east as it can go without creating interference to 94.3 WWSK Smithtown NY. 94.7 WMAS-FM Enfield CT/Springfield MA will add a directional null to the southwest to remove interference to WNSH while remaining at its current 50kW/55m antenna.

WPLJ doesn't have much of a present-day legacy. There are those of us who fondly remember its album days as the "Love" and later freeform WABC-FM, then the AOR WPLJ. That era ended nearly 36 years ago. Some will remember its early Top 40 glory days in the mid and late 80s. After that, it was pockets of brilliance and mediocrity competing with Z-100 and the various AC stations over the years. Its demise, along with that of other Cumulus stations, can be traced back to the poor management skills of the aptly-named Dickey brothers who previously ran Cumulus.

Quote Originally Posted by erwin33 View Post
    My 'god' I post this little joke also on the dentist board last evening, he deleted it...pff.
    You don't wanna do that. I've noticed that the tenor of the proprietor's posts is going downhill rapidly. An adjustment in meds is likely the answer (getting old does suck), but who will broach the subject? Best to stay here where we're all a bit nuts, but the management seems to still have a grip on the rudder.

Quote Originally Posted by JBraddock View Post
    After that, it was pockets of brilliance and mediocrity competing with Z-100 and the various AC stations over the years.
    WPLJ had quite a long period of brilliance in the '90s with their groundbreaking Hot AC format, Scott & Todd in the morning, and Rocky Allen in the afternoon. Scott Shannon kept the station a steady, if mediocre, performer for many years, but when he left, the wheels started to come off. They kept tinkering with the music playlist every few months, and Todd's morning show has been lackluster. Meanwhile 102.7 finally ended its long string of unsuccessful formats and turned out to be a strong competitor to WPLJ.

Quote Originally Posted by BJSteigner View Post
    Not another Christian Caster in New York....PUH-LEASE!!
    well....let's see - since it's EMF involved....plus Entercom acquiring Nash 94.7 (which has a history as a Christian "caster").....

Quote Originally Posted by crainbebo View Post
    V
    A heritage station with a long history, now sold to an owner who will just program satellite CCM music...and the only local anything? The TOH ID: 'You're listening to New York's Positive Encouraging K-LOVE. 95.5 WPLJ, New York City.' RIP WPLJ!
    maybe not - at the same time that 'PLJ is being sold to EMF....Entercom is also acquiring Nash 94.7, which has a long previous history in the Christian genre...so anything could happen....

He (the dentist) has been particularly belligerent when recounting the CHR days.

I’m confused... doesn’t EMF already have WKLV? Why do they need another New York signal? Or is EMF going to bring Air1 to WPLJ or WKLV?

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast