• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

PLJ SOLD

well....let's see - since it's EMF involved....plus Entercom acquiring Nash 94.7 (which has a history as a Christian "caster").....

Perhaps there's something I'm just not remembering...but at age 60 and with the first time I set foot inside a radio station at age 5, that's the first I recall ever hearing about Entercom being a Christian broadcaster. Can you ( or perhaps Mr. Eduardo) offer greater background on that?

Perhaps there's something I'm just not remembering...but at age 60 and with the first time I set foot inside a radio station at age 5, that's the first I recall ever hearing about Entercom being a Christian broadcaster. Can you ( or perhaps Mr. Eduardo) offer greater background on that?

I think the reference is not to Entercom but to the former 94.7 owner, Family Stations.

I’m confused... doesn’t EMF already have WKLV? Why do they need another New York signal? Or is EMF going to bring Air1 to WPLJ or WKLV?

WKLV is a vastly inferior facility at Port Chester which does not cover the majority of the NYC metro.

WKLV is a vastly inferior facility at Port Chester which does not cover the majority of the NYC metro.

Got it. I didn’t know the WKLV transmitter was in New Rochelle. Now I’ll be able to hear K-Love on five different stations: W235BB 94.9,
WPLJ 95.5, WKLV 96.7, W283BA 104.5, along with fringe reception of WCCC 106.9. Unbelievable!

It's a great move for EMF, they finally get a full power signal in NYC But very sad for WPLJ, an FM with so much heritage

94.7 History

I think the reference is not to Entercom but to the former 94.7 owner, Family Stations.

David, I was.... :D - 94.7 had a LONG history as a Family Radio station....so naturally I would NOT be surprised if they go back to a Christian format....

Entercom does NOT have a history with the Christian format....

Got it. I didn’t know the WKLV transmitter was in New Rochelle. Now I’ll be able to hear K-Love on five different stations: W235BB 94.9,
WPLJ 95.5, WKLV 96.7, W283BA 104.5, along with fringe reception of WCCC 106.9. Unbelievable!

And if you tire of OTA listening, you could stream it online.

I think Sean Ross as usual has a fair and reasonable assessment of the situation. Had these stations been in a stronger position, this sale might not have happened. But given what EMF is looking for, and how it pays, this was the best possible deal that could have been made. And that's really all you can say. It's the end of an era, but the era really ended when the station stopped being successful.

I think Sean Ross as usual has a fair and reasonable assessment of the situation. Had these stations been in a stronger position, this sale might not have happened. But given what EMF is looking for, and how it pays, this was the best possible deal that could have been made. And that's really all you can say. It's the end of an era, but the era really ended when the station stopped being successful.

It is much larger than that. WPLJ was never really #1 and seldom in the top five. What the rise of stuff like k-love represents is the decline in relevance of OTA and push media for persons under 30 or-so.

WPLJ id just another victim of the Napster- IPhone and file sharing generation.

Twenty years ago one had no trouble finding young people with a genuine interest in a favorite radio station.

Try to find any that even own a radio now.

Prepare for the rise of more bilge like emf.

LCG

What the rise of stuff like k-love represents is the decline in relevance of OTA and push media for persons under 30 or-so.

If that's true, why is EMF so successful? Why are people so willing to send them money. How many people would have sent WPLJ money to hear their favorite music?

That's really the question you need to ask. It's not because K-Love's playlists are so huge. It's not because they have entertaining live & local talent. But yet they have an audience for what they do, and they attract dollars in ways that allow them to spend $100 million in cash for a handful of FM radio stations. Anyone else could do it. There are lots of rich people in the tri-state area, but not many who are willing to spend their own money on buying radio stations.

The people who listened to WPLJ wanted to hear their favorites for free. They feel they're entitled to it. Now it's gone. Over the next few years, they'll discover that the music they used to get for free from OTA radio will require a subscription. Will they be willing to pay?

Funny, that "bilge" has a engaged, loyal, and enthused audience.

An audience that listens, and will gladly contribute.

The difference that WPLJ tried to get funding from spot sales.

EMF gets their revenue directly from their audience.

Why is one considered bilge? Because it doesn't appeal to you personally?

WPLJ id just another victim of the Napster- IPhone and file sharing generation.

Actually it was a victim of things like mismanagement, the Dickeys, better competitors and changes in music.

Twenty years ago one had no trouble finding young people with a genuine interest in a favorite radio station.

Try to find any that even own a radio now.

You are mistaking a traditional radio receiver for "radio" in general. To the current generation, a cellphone is, among other things, a radio. Spotify is a radio station. So is Pandora. And so are the streams of traditional broadcasters.

"Everyone" has a smartphone.

That is your opinion. They actually run very well programmed stations, even though they borrowed the "one station - many transmitters" concept from Latin America and Europe.

From ALLACCESS

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/...uys-wplj-new-york-wyay-atlanta-wrqx-d-c-more-

"EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION is buying Hot AC WPLJ/NEW YORK, News-Talk WYAY/GAINESVILLE, GA-ATLANTA, Hot AC WRQX (MIX 107.3)/WASHINGTON, Triple A KFFG/LOS ALTOS-SAN JOSE, Hot AC WZAT (102.1 THE SOUND)/TYBEE ISLAND, GA-SAVANNAH, and Classic Rock WXTL (THE REBEL 105.9)/SYRACUSE from CUMULUS MEDIA INC. for $103.5 million."

I am absolutely FLOORED by this news. If there was a word more appropriate than "shocked", I'd use it. For almost fifty years, PLJ has played some of the best music that has ever been on the radio. Now, its days are numbered. And why? Just so freakin' EMF could push forward their vision of nothing even approaching rock on the radio? They used to say "rock music is the devil", you know....this SUCKS!! My jaw is on the floor!!

I am absolutely FLOORED by this news. If there was a word more appropriate than "shocked", I'd use it. For almost fifty years, PLJ has played some of the best music that has ever been on the radio. Now, its days are numbered. And why? Just so freakin' EMF could push forward their vision of nothing even approaching rock on the radio? They used to say "rock music is the devil", you know....this SUCKS!! My jaw is on the floor!!

I'm rather surprised at the large number of notes praising WPLJ and lamenting its format flip.

The fact is that the station was the lowest rated full signal FM in the market, its billing has been falling for a decade, and nothing that they have done has made any difference.

The things that the station did that were great... the genius of PD Larry Berger and the great morning show that Scott Shannon created... are ancient history and recalled and remembered by few today.

The new format will likely get better numbers, and is highly sustainable because it is fervently listener supported.

Move on. Nothing to see.

At a high level I think this is going to be the future of radio. Radio stations will get bought out and sold to companies playing religious, ethnic, or brokered programming.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom