Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: PLJ SOLD

Doesn't K-LOVE now have a 'Classics' service? WKLV could be used for that purpose with WPLJ as 'New York's Positive Encouraging K-LOVE'. Of course, I'm not sure if they will be changing callsigns. WLNY, like the channel 55? WLBA? There's a 1130AM in Gainesville GA but no FM. 'W Love-Big-Apple'?
    782 AM's in the log, 663 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: KATW-101.5 Lewiston ID, 6/25/19
    Last New AM Log: 1570 WFRL Freeport IL, 3/3/19

K-Love goes to 95.5 and Air1 goes to 96.7. Not that complicated, folks!
    Cumulus will stick the WPLJ call sign somewhere else with 95.5 becoming WLKV-FM. 96.7 will get a new call sign.

K-Love classics on a HD subchannel. Also would not be surprised if Air1 is also an a HD subchannel of 95.5

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by luperm View Post
    Cumulus will stick the WPLJ call sign somewhere else...
    Why would they want to hang on to a discredited and anachronistic set of call letters?

Call letters are so old school, too. Does Spotify have call letters? Pandora? iTunes? In most cases, for anyone under 40 or so, call letters are, simply, strange.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    Why would they want to hang on to a discredited and anachronistic set of call letters?
    Not sure they have the rights to those letters either, or if they still belong to Disney, as is the case with WABC.

I would like to see radio move back to using call letters in their imaging. I think it would better distinguish it from the streaming services. When TV went digital, stations started emphasizing their call letters over the channel assignment, even while keeping the virtual channel.

Call letters are so old school, too. Does Spotify have call letters? Pandora? iTunes? In most cases, for anyone under 40 or so, call letters are, simply, strange.
    and yet, given the potential format change to "Jesus music"....WPLJ may be the perfect call letters (now if I can only figure out the first two....)

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy93 View Post
    I would like to see radio move back to using call letters in their imaging. I think it would better distinguish it from the streaming services. When TV went digital, stations started emphasizing their call letters over the channel assignment, even while keeping the virtual channel.
    Years ago, there was a joint project done by universities somewhere in the US and in a large metro in Mexico. It was not a commissioned study, just a "class project" type of affair supervised by statistics professors.

In any case, the idea was to find out how many different radio stations average people could remember without aided recall.

The number in Mexico was twice as high as in the US. In Mexico, few stations use call letters to identify, in the US at the time the study was done, most stations used call letters. Names are more memorable, and they tend to describe a quality of the product.

Further, in radio diary markets, there are far more entries for frequency and station name than call letters. And the call mentions are all of stations that don't have names.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 03-02-2019 at 01:09 AM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by luperm View Post
    K-Love goes to 95.5 and Air1 goes to 96.7. Not that complicated, folks!
    Cumulus will stick the WPLJ call sign somewhere else with 95.5 becoming WLKV-FM. 96.7 will get a new call sign.

K-Love classics on a HD subchannel. Also would not be surprised if Air1 is also an a HD subchannel of 95.5
    with all these new canned religious networks buying up New York stations the dial will start sounding like the bible belt.
    Sorry but what a waste of good frequencies.
    I'm a sinner and I like it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    with all these new canned religious networks buying up New York stations the dial will start sounding like the bible belt.
    Sorry but what a waste of good frequencies.
    They're only good frequencies if the market will support them, and clearly the market was saturated. So a few dropping out is a good thing.

David, does that apply to television as well?
    Plugged into the electric radio

Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast