• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

PLJ SOLD

NPR and K-Love are listener supported (although NPR gets grants and underwriting, which EMF stays away from)

I'd actually be curious to know how much financial support EMF gets from right-wing/evangelical conservative organizations which would essentially be the same as a grant. Political operatives like that are rarely transparent so we'll probably never know.

Most people "in the biz" can appreciate a job well done, well run, and quality produced product...even if it is targeted to "someone else".

I can't think of a single person "in the biz" who appreciates a company that fires an entire station's staff and runs it as a satellite repeater, forever eliminating that station as an employer for radio people in the market.

I can't think of a single person "in the biz" who appreciates a company that fires an entire station's staff and runs it as a satellite repeater, forever eliminating that station as an employer for radio people in the market.

-No, but people "in the biz" can appreciate the good job they do with the programming content....and that they have a different funding model based on listener contributions.

-If they get people to listen, enjoy and support it financially...they will be successful. If not, they will go away.

-People "in the biz" understand that the former incarnation of the station was on a crash course, and could not sustain the jobs or programming...and apparently no one else wanted to purchase it.

I'd actually be curious to know how much financial support EMF gets from right-wing/evangelical conservative organizations

If the Salvation Army contributed to their funding, would that be a problem?

If the Billy Graham organization or if Rick Warren's Saddleback Church contributed, would that be a problem?

That is sort of like saying that we are unappreciative of CBS anymore because they cancelled Big Bang Theory as of this season.

As Wimmex said, most of the stations that EMF buys are not doing well, or are being sold with a probability of a format change no matter who buys them.

You can admire these characters business acumen if that is your perspective. Reality is they are taking advantage of a declining industry and turning formerly viable, locally programmed facilities into ghost ships.

Consider that they are closing-in of 600 stations they will O&O, none will have anything more than a contract engineer. At minimum you are seeing the loss of 2000 jobs in an already shrinking industry.

Nothing “positive and encouraging” about this situation.

LCG

You can admire these characters business acumen if that is your perspective. Reality is they are taking advantage of a declining industry and turning formerly viable, locally programmed facilities into ghost ships.

Consider that they are closing-in of 600 stations they will O&O, none will have anything more than a contract engineer. At minimum you are seeing the loss of 2000 jobs in an already shrinking industry.

Nothing “positive and encouraging” about this situation.

LCG

200 of those stations are translators, which would not have a staff anyway. And nearly 300 are on non-commercial frequencies, and would not necessarily be large generators of employment.

The programming is viable. Whether you like it or not.

The fact is that EMF has a business model which can afford to pay the best prices for commercial stations in situations where the station is not cash flowing or where it is only minimally profitable.

“200 of those stations are translators, which would not have a staff anyway.”

Many of those translators would have been used to improve the viability of local operators.

“And nearly 300 are on non-commercial frequencies, and would not necessarily be large generators of employment.’

My original estimate was quite “conservative” and based on approx 2.3 employees/facility. Even small NCE’s will often have more than that employed.

There is a bigger issue as far as I’m concerned; the fact that some of these NCE licenses have been divested by schools and colleges is illustrative of a diminished role for traditional radio.

“The fact is that EMF has a business model which can afford to pay the best prices for commercial stations in situations where the station is not cash flowing or where it is only minimally profitable.”

This too shows the diminished role of commercial OTA in today’s society (yeah, I know 98% reach…..), Here in NYC WPLJ was competing against two other stations in nearly the same format. This was noting new. PLJ’s musically conservative approach dated back to the early 1990’s after the “Mojo” flop. Until just recently, the pie was big enough for two or three operators to each get a share of the female-friendly and office crowd.

Not anymore. That combined with Cumulus’ financial problems has led to this sorry situation.

Regardless of how one tries to spin the actions of the company with the somewhat deceptive name, having these facilities fall under their grasp is an ominous sign for OTA radio and those who work in the industry.

LCG

This too shows the diminished role of commercial OTA in today’s society

You're focusing on one thing, and using that one thing to drive a negative narrative. The bigger picture is the strong stations in NYC are growing stronger, while the weak are weaker. If you work at iHeart or Entercom, there are no ominous signs. You prefer to see the glass half empty. Sad.

This too shows the diminished role of commercial OTA in today’s society (yeah, I know 98% reach…..), Here in NYC WPLJ was competing against two other stations in nearly the same format. This was noting new. PLJ’s musically conservative approach dated back to the early 1990’s after the “Mojo” flop. Until just recently, the pie was big enough for two or three operators to each get a share of the female-friendly and office crowd.

Not anymore. That combined with Cumulus’ financial problems has led to this sorry situation.

Regardless of how one tries to spin the actions of the company with the somewhat deceptive name, having these facilities fall under their grasp is an ominous sign for OTA radio and those who work in the industry.

What you are not taking into account is the fact that WPLJ failed in no small part due to ownership by a company that was mismanaged back to its Citadel days and which took on ridiculous debt to acquire the ABC O&O stations which came with the burden of some very large and expensive failed or failing AM operations. WPLJ had been on a revenue decline from before the recession. It lost its anchor morning personality and suffered from not adapting to the vastly changed AC platform... today's AC and Hot AC and Soft AC are nothing like the Adult Contemporary format of the early 90's that you mention.

Beyond the failings of Cumulus as an owner, we also have... dating back 30 years and more... the FCC's idea that more stations equals greater programming diversity. In fact, it resulted in more stations for the same market revenue and a decline in profitability for each one. Docket 80-90 made many smaller and medium markets overall unprofitable, and, more than the recession and new media, forced stations to reduce costs and cut back in local services.

Fortunately some operators or organizations like NPR and EMF have found a model that does not depend on traditional spot revenue . That allows for a variety of services on the radio that would, otherwise, not be economically viable on single local stations.

What you are not taking into account is the fact that WPLJ failed in no small part due to ownership by a company that was mismanaged back to its Citadel days

I'd suggest the station was mismanaged much longer than that. It's obvious that ABC radio started its mismanagement under Disney, and that's why they were so anxious to get rid of it.

Like it or not, K-Love's listeners like the format and donate to it. I know many of them, and have told them, "do you know none of the DJs are here in town?". They DO NOT CARE. In fact, they like hearing the same voices when they travel. If EMF hadn't come along to buy WPLJ, WLUP and others, would some wealthy New Yorker have stepped forward? Doubt it.

Regardless of how one tries to spin the actions of the company with the somewhat deceptive name...

I think we are uncovering the point that you don't like their programming/product.

I am guessing you have a problem with faith based activities...and broadcasting...which is probably not related to K-Love, etc....right?

I'd suggest the station was mismanaged much longer than that. It's obvious that ABC radio started its mismanagement under Disney, and that's why they were so anxious to get rid of it.

For starters, they did not engage in the consolidation activities of the mid-90's, and ended up as a lame group with one dying AM and one lone FM in some really large markets. Because of the AMs, those combos got hit very hard with the PPM; that happened just a year after ABC sold to Citadel. A good example was KGO, which literally disintegrated after PPM no longer showed them anywhere close to the top of the market.

For starters, they did not engage in the consolidation activities of the mid-90's,

That's correct, and they were asked about it at the time. Because prior to 1996, ABC was in fact the largest radio group in the country. They owned the maximum number of radio stations allowed by law, and those stations were in the largest markets. Plus they had a very successful radio network. So industry observers figured the big companies like ABC would want to get bigger. But prior to buying ABC, Disney was not in the radio business. They really didn't see what the attraction was. So they told analysts that they'd be sitting this out. CBS, on the other hand, bought several groups around the country. NBC left the radio business in 1988. But I think that decision not to expand radio in 1998 was indicative of the strategic thinking at Disney that radio didn't fit its core business, and they'd leave it at a time when it would be beneficial. That time came when Citadel came along. But by then, the division had already begun its decline.

But I think that decision not to expand radio in 1998 was indicative of the strategic thinking at Disney that radio didn't fit its core business, and they'd leave it at a time when it would be beneficial. That time came when Citadel came along. But by then, the division had already begun its decline.

Absolutely. Remember that Disney was absolutely flush with cash from the halcyon Michael Eisner “Disney Renaissance” days. They were aggressively trying to expand their business and invest cash in virtually any viable entertainment format (remember go.com?). Given the bullish attitude investors had with radio in the late 90’s, and some of the borderline-foolish investments Disney had back then, radio for them seemed like a solid and conservative fit.

Fast forward 15 years, new tech has reduced radio’s value and Disney as a company was trying to drum up cash to buy several movie franchises. Unloading stations that will likely lose additional face value made financial sense in the situation.

As for WPLJ...that was Scott Shannon’s station. Had been since Mojo Radio. I felt the death rattle occurred once he jumped ship to CBS-FM and Todd took the helm of the morning show.

Given the bullish attitude investors had with radio in the late 90’s, and some of the borderline-foolish investments Disney had back then, radio for them seemed like a solid and conservative fit.

No, that's not what I'm saying. Had they wanted to expand radio in 1998, they could have. But they didn't. Because they never saw themselves in that business.

Absolutely. Remember that Disney was absolutely flush with cash from the halcyon Michael Eisner “Disney Renaissance” days. They were aggressively trying to expand their business and invest cash in virtually any viable entertainment format (remember go.com?). Given the bullish attitude investors had with radio in the late 90’s, and some of the borderline-foolish investments Disney had back then, radio for them seemed like a solid and conservative fit.

Fast forward 15 years, new tech has reduced radio’s value and Disney as a company was trying to drum up cash to buy several movie franchises. Unloading stations that will likely lose additional face value made financial sense in the situation.

As for WPLJ...that was Scott Shannon’s station. Had been since Mojo Radio. I felt the death rattle occurred once he jumped ship to CBS-FM and Todd took the helm of the morning show.

I agree. As soon as Scott left back in 2014 I knew it was over. Hell even before that they had flush the format days. It's been on life support at least since 2014. It has been 5 years now i am shocked it last as long as it did. I cannot stand Todd and Jade.

No, that's not what I'm saying. Had they wanted to expand radio in 1998, they could have. But they didn't. Because they never saw themselves in that business.

By the time belts started tightening around Disney post-9/11, they could have unloaded their radio division for far more than they did a little over a decade later. The revenues made off the licenses justified the company to keep them.

They were certainly not radio people, but the situations that allowed them initial ownership and the economy of the time justified them continuing to hold onto the properties for the long-term. The classic “buy and hold” situation.

After the CBS/Infinity deal, rumors were going around that Chancellor was practically begging ABC to buy it. Evergreen was also looking for a suitor; CBS was reportedly about to bite before Karmazin approached.

Less than a year later, it seemed like Chancellor was trying to engineer a similar situation to what Karmazin pulled off with CBS. It likely wanted to lead ABC Radio into becoming a supergroup, but Disney wanted no part.

By the time belts started tightening around Disney post-9/11, they could have unloaded their radio division for far more than they did a little over a decade later. The revenues made off the licenses justified the company to keep them.

They kept them because selling them would create a capital gain tax problem for them. The solution was the reverse Morris Trust that they did with Citadel.

I agree. As soon as Scott left back in 2014 I knew it was over. Hell even before that they had flush the format days. It's been on life support at least since 2014. It has been 5 years now i am shocked it last as long as it did. I cannot stand Todd and Jade.

PLJ was dead for at least 10 years prior to Shannon leaving. The station was stale, it sounded horrible, and Shannon was out of place on a contemporary format. The same old 1980s morning zoo schtick was so odd to hear...it did not keep well with the more contemporary sound PLJ was trying for. He does sound better on CBS-FM.

In any case, what was PLJ? It was a third rate hot AC wannabe that was all over the place formatically.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom