Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

Thread: PLJ SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Dude, maybe you missed all my posts on this subject earlier in the thread. I agree with you 100%. The format needs great songs, not self indulgent guitar solos. Radio is a song medium, and it grows with great songs.
    You're correct, I've since back-read the posts and see you made that point.

And, it's something I wonder about. Is it because of the decline of music education--are budding songwriters underdeveloped because of a lack of training and development? Also, there have been a number of articles in the New York Times and elsewhere over the last several years about how record companies are scientifically homogenizing music--similar chord patterns, lack of compositional adventure, lack of dynamics. I'm fascinated by how easy today's pop stations are to listen to compared to the 70s/80s...fewer offensive songs...but certainly fewer memorable songs, too. Case point: Chainsmoker's "Closer". It was a massive hit, but has a completely forgettable melody. It's nice to listen to but it's a song no one truly loves.

Pop music too loud and all sounds the same: official
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...86P0R820120726
    Last edited by promixcuous; 06-04-2019 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by promixcuous View Post

Is it because of the decline of music education--are budding songwriters underdeveloped because of a lack of training and development?
    I wouldn't blame music education. There are more opportunities for real music education today than there were 50 years ago. I've talked at length about the lack of interest at record labels for rock bands. They just throw them out on the road, and expect the poor souls to fend for themselves. This is not the way bands did it in the 60s and 70s. Back then, labels took a serious interest in their artists. There are entire departments are labels called "Artists & Repertoire" or A&R. The purpose of that department is to seek out quality songs and get them recorded. That's what happens in other genres. Not so much in rock. Then you have the artist development department. Their job is to seek out media opportunities and other usages for an artists' talents. Maybe movie roles. Maybe TV appearances. Then you have marketing & promotion. Their goal is to get songs played on radio, placed on streaming services, and maybe even sold in stores. These departments exist in other genres. I deal with them all the time. But I never see them working with rock acts. So we wonder what happened to rock? The record labels simply gave up.

I highly recommend people to see the new documentary called "Echo In The Canyon." It is a documentary with Jakob Dylan and Tom Petty about the music community in Laurel Canyon near LA that led to the rise of the rock music of the late 60s and 70s. That's what's missing now. You need to have a real music community where artists writers and musicians live and work together to make great music. There is no core, no community, no center. That's what's needed, and that leadership comes from the music industry.

Watch & learn:

https://youtu.be/QRVFBQHBUls
    Last edited by TheBigA; 06-05-2019 at 12:51 AM.

And they moved to Times Square. So no, they're still on the air.

BTW I wouldn't be totally shocked if at some point EMF leaves ESB.

Pacifica's 99.5 was evicted from Empire due to non-payment of rent.

If they couldn't pay the rent in one place, what makes you think they will continue to pay the rent where they moved?

Long term, they will not be able to pay the rent there, either.

They are walking dead, which was my point.

EMF does NOT have the same problem, so why move?

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!
    Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta! Spring Training Home of the Sa-ra-so-ta! Orioles. www.myteamsuspenders.com and tell us you read it here for free shipping of your favorite sports team.

..... Back then, labels took a serious interest in their artists. There are entire departments are labels called "Artists & Repertoire" or A & R. The purpose of that department is to seek out quality songs and get them recorded. That's what happens in other genres. Not so much in rock. ......

I highly recommend people to see the new documentary called "Echo In The Canyon." It is a documentary with Jakob Dylan and Tom Petty about the music community in Laurel Canyon near LA that led to the rise of the rock music of the late 60s and 70s. That's what's missing now. You need to have a real music community where artists writers and musicians live and work together to make great music. There is no core, no community, no center. That's what's needed, and that leadership comes from the music industry.
    Speaking of Tom Petty and A&R- "His leather jacket had chains that would jingle
    They both met movie stars, partied and mingled
    Their A&R man said, "I don't hear a single"
    The future was wide open"

I wouldn't blame music education. There are more opportunities for real music education today than there were 50 years ago. I've talked at length about the lack of interest at record labels for rock bands. They just throw them out on the road, and expect the poor souls to fend for themselves. This is not the way bands did it in the 60s and 70s. Back then, labels took a serious interest in their artists. There are entire departments are labels called "Artists & Repertoire" or A&R. The purpose of that department is to seek out quality songs and get them recorded. That's what happens in other genres. Not so much in rock. Then you have the artist development department. Their job is to seek out media opportunities and other usages for an artists' talents. Maybe movie roles. Maybe TV appearances. Then you have marketing & promotion. Their goal is to get songs played on radio, placed on streaming services, and maybe even sold in stores. These departments exist in other genres. I deal with them all the time. But I never see them working with rock acts. So we wonder what happened to rock? The record labels simply gave up.

Watch & learn:

https://youtu.be/QRVFBQHBUls
    Great comment. That looks like a fantastic flick, thanks for posting!

I've only listened to WPLJ & WRQX over the Internet but from what I know of them, K-LOVE will NEVER fly on those frequencies
    Pat Cook, KB0OXD (Ham Radio Callsign)

Quote Originally Posted by JeeperOne View Post
    I've only listened to WPLJ & WRQX over the Internet but from what I know of them, K-LOVE will NEVER fly on those frequencies
    Just like the Honey Badger, K-LOVE don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Yabadabado1 View Post
    Just like the Honey Badger, K-LOVE don't care.
    In a city as large as NYC and a metro area with a population so great, there will surely be enough listeners with open checkbooks to make the K-Love Jesus jukebox pay for itself many times over. This music, and the collection of codified folk tales and superstitions it's written about, may not be to your taste or mine, but you've got to admit the believers have done a damn good marketing job over the past couple of millennia and there will be plenty of folks who'll welcome K-Love and show their appreciation by making the extremely successful nonprofit that runs it even more flush with cash. Huh?

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950