Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PLJ SOLD

PLJ SOLD

From ALLACCESS

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...wrqx-d-c-more-

"EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION is buying Hot AC WPLJ/NEW YORK, News-Talk WYAY/GAINESVILLE, GA-ATLANTA, Hot AC WRQX (MIX 107.3)/WASHINGTON, Triple A KFFG/LOS ALTOS-SAN JOSE, Hot AC WZAT (102.1 THE SOUND)/TYBEE ISLAND, GA-SAVANNAH, and Classic Rock WXTL (THE REBEL 105.9)/SYRACUSE from CUMULUS MEDIA INC. for $103.5 million."
    Radio station employee...<br />Amateur photographer...<br />Cat slave...<br />Sarcasm expert...<br />Annual USA visitor...

Not another Christian Caster in New York....PUH-LEASE!!

Those who enjoy that type of programming may well feel differently.

Very, very sad to see WPLJ go to a Jesuscaster. The years as WABC-FM with a freeform format in the 1960s, moving to Progressive Rock 'Love' in 1968, and then Allen Shaw and Bob Henaberry with the breakthrough of album-oriented rock on FM radio as WPLJ in 1971. Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Doobie Brothers and Cream were several of the bands presented on one of the top FM stations in New York City in the late 1970s. Next, they went top 40 in the early 1980s, and continued to be at the top of the ratings. Remember their brief stint as WWPR?
    They shifted to Hot AC in 1992, today's best hits without 'the rap and the sleepy elevator music'. Scott Shannon had a long career at 95.5, and Al Bandiero did the 1970s show weeknights and Saturdays.
    A heritage station with a long history, now sold to an owner who will just program satellite CCM music...and the only local anything? The TOH ID: 'You're listening to New York's Positive Encouraging K-LOVE. 95.5 WPLJ, New York City.' RIP WPLJ!
    782 AM's in the log, 663 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: KATW-101.5 Lewiston ID, 6/25/19
    Last New AM Log: 1570 WFRL Freeport IL, 3/3/19

Very sad indeed. A big loss.

Quote Originally Posted by crainbebo View Post
    Very, very sad to see WPLJ go to a Jesuscaster.
    There was a time when Brother John was at 95.5. The fact is that this station always struggled for identity, whether it was against WNEW or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    There was a time when Brother John was at 95.5. The fact is that this station always struggled for identity, whether it was against WNEW or anyone else.
    I am actually really upset about this. I grew up on PLJ. That is a heritage station in NYC! How could Cumulus do that?! If anything I would have gotten rid of 103.9!

I get the feeling there’s more to this deal (besides E-com and Nash). Highly doubt it (since we’ve seen The Loop in Chicago go to EMF and flip anyway), but could EMF and E-com swap for the latter to get 95-5? Or would the DOJ get involved because of revenue caps?

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle13 View Post
    I am actually really upset about this. I grew up on PLJ. That is a heritage station in NYC! How could Cumulus do that?! If anything I would have gotten rid of 103.9!
    Tell that to the fans of WLUP. They sympathize with you. Truth is, billing was wayyyy down on both stations and the value on the signals sagged. EMF wants a bigger footprint in the bigger markets and they were the highest bidder. Cox wants out, i<3’s debt riddled, E-com is doing its thing (and probably can’t upgrade in certain spots without the DOJ getting involved) and Beasley’s not all that interested in upgrading beyond Boston. Other than that, there aren’t a lot of major and/or mom and pop owners that can grab something like that.

It’s the radio business in 2019. You don’t have to embrace it, but that’s the corporate game.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzle13 View Post
    If you had excess cash, would you buy a BMW or a used Yugo?

103.9 is a Yugo with bald tires!
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast