Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Should WABC Go to Oldies on the Weekends ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    What happened to WLS? Also, had it not been for its original long wire, wouldn't WOR have been a I-A clear?
    Right you are about WLS - KNBR shouldn't have been in my list (it was a I-B, albeit nondirectional), and WLS/WENR should have been.

As for WOR, the 710 frequency was duplicated by class II stations out west, I think even before its original DA went up in Carteret in 1935.
    All kinds of good stuff over at http://www.fybush.com

Quote Originally Posted by lawman View Post
    I would have to say WIBG (WIBBAGE) the 55-66 years, although they were 50kw-d, 10kw-n highly directional, it was said they had over 30 percent of the whole listening audience which is unheard of in this day and age. It was reported that stations, KHJ was one, all over the country would send their PDs to Philly just to listen and copy their whole presentation for their stations. That's how good they were, I can attest to that.
    WIBG was my all time favorite Top 40 station! Favorite DJs Hy Lit and Joe Niagra; listened 1961-1967
    Last edited by SuperRadioFan; 02-08-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceNYC View Post
    Internet radio is your best bet if you want oldies. Pop Gold Radio and Rewound Radio are two excellent stations with deep playlists and specialty programs. There are other internet stations as well. There are several oldies stations on SiriusXM if you have a subscription to that service.
    I prefer WDJO Cincinnati which I listen to through Tune In Radio on a semi-regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    WHCN Hartford, a classic rock/classic hits hybrid, generally plays one or two '90s tracks an hour, most recently Lenny Kravitz's "Fly Away" and Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams." Nickelback's 2002 "Someday" has gotten a spin today as well, so maybe it's time for the new millennium's first hits to become "classics." Otherwise, the playlist is late '70s/'80s-dominated -- but good old "Brown Eyed Girl" rocks on at the ripe old age of 52!
    Yes I can see early 2000's music under consideration for classic hits in the next 5 years though. I knew No Doubt's Its My life(2003 edition) and Talk Talks edition of that song from 1980's was played on KRTH 101 in Los Angeles a few years ago when they were trying to shift more of their playlists to the 80's and 90's music though.

In the case of WABC as Oldies umm we wish though. But I don't know what play list would that be though given that the music from the 1960's-1970's are starting to fade from the airwaves due to median money demos idea of classic hits would have to be from the 1990's and early 2000's though. WPLJ's HD-2 or HD-3 might carry that though not WABC radio though.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioPatrol View Post
    WPLJ's HD-2 or HD-3 might carry that though not WABC radio though.
    They appear to be renting out their HD2 for Russian programming, and the HD3 carries audio from WFAS Bronxville.

Now as for the question (also the title of this thread), my answer is no - I don't believe that the demographics are there to support the "format". Besides which, Mark Simone tried it right after the CBSFM debacle of 2005....and it stopped working ABOUT six months AFTER CBSFM #2 (that's what I call it) came aboard.....

#TheGolden101 (1984-2014)

I still have the feeling WABC will flip to Oldies...

Quote Originally Posted by andreajesus View Post
    Now as for the question (also the title of this thread), my answer is no - I don't believe that the demographics are there to support the "format". Besides which, Mark Simone tried it right after the CBSFM debacle of 2005....and it stopped working ABOUT six months AFTER CBSFM #2 (that's what I call it) came aboard.....

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicRadioUSA View Post
    Here is the revenue reality check:

New York is the largest market.

Radio depends principally on agency accounts for revenue.

Agencies seldom buy audiences over 55.

"Oldies" appeals principally to an audience well over 55, with a median age over 65.

There is no revenue to be had in the market for an AM station with a very senior demo playing music.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicRadioUSA View Post
    Based on what?

Dude, the demos just are NOT there - David E knows it, I know it....sad to admit, but 'ABC is making more money with their "infomercials" than they would on a small group of 50-plus fans (of which I am one of them)...

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast