Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 134

Thread: Should WABC Go to Oldies on the Weekends ?

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    But with labels not interested in paying for airplay for 50-plus-year-old songs, a modern day Freed would go broke quickly, not having that dependable source of under-the-table income to support him,
    The payola thing came later. When he was in Cleveland, he secured the sponsorship of a brick & mortar record store.

    Now we're all familiar with those oldies collections sold on cable TV, but those are "per inquiry," not cash sales. Not the same money.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicRadioUSA View Post

    WABC ratings have not been good so was wondering if they should fill in a format not being offered in New York right now as Oldies on the weekends?
    Would any advertising support this? There's your answer.

    (Although it would be fun!)

  3. #13
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,575
    Quote Originally Posted by ATSFGuy View Post
    That's an idea, WABC can play oldies/deep cuts on the weekends, and rotate the usual stuff during the week.

    Two questions: What's the station's current format? Is it low or full powered?
    WABC is one of the 25 original 1-A clear channel stations and in the 60's and 70's was the most listened to station in the country, showing up in ratings as far away as Pittsburgh and Portland, ME.

    It's in a narrow race as the most famous Top 40 station of that entire era, and likely the winner due to good programming, long-term ratings and a huge, monster signal.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    9,168
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicRadioUSA View Post
    WABC ratings have not been good so was wondering if they should fill in a format not being offered in New York right now as Oldies on the weekends?
    Oldies as in from 1960's and 1970's when WABC was top 40 station? Or is it going to be 1980's and 1990's songs? I doubt the people who will listen to Oldies today would want WABC-AM to air them given that you have entire generations that are in the money demos Examples (18-34 and 25-55) that ever listened to music on AM Radio. The current money demos grew up with music on FM, satellite radio and internet radio via Iheart app and Tunein app. I doubt Cumulus would want WABC-AM to air oldies though. Maybe WPLJ's HD-2 or HD-3's would air old WABC-AM airchecks? But at this point it does not matter what happens to WABC-AM though.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    It's in a narrow race as the most famous Top 40 station of that entire era
    Who else is in that close race? ;-)

  6. #16
    I would have to say WIBG (WIBBAGE) the 55-66 years, although they were 50kw-d, 10kw-n highly directional, it was said they had over 30 percent of the whole listening audience which is unheard of in this day and age. It was reported that stations, KHJ was one, all over the country would send their PDs to Philly just to listen and copy their whole presentation for their stations. That's how good they were, I can attest to that.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    WABC is one of the 25 original 1-A clear channel stations and in the 60's and 70's was the most listened to station in the country, showing up in ratings as far away as Pittsburgh and Portland, ME.

    It's in a narrow race as the most famous Top 40 station of that entire era, and likely the winner due to good programming, long-term ratings and a huge, monster signal.
    I would guess that its only real competition for out-of-market ratings was WLS, with maybe CKLW, WOWO, KAAY, and WCFL following closely. I don't include KHJ or others of lower than 50 kW, because they just didn't have the range.

    But, sadly, those days of 50 kW rock blowtorches are gone. And they're not coming back. There are oldies shows on shortwave, via WTWW in Tennessee and WRMI in Miami, but they're only a few hours a day each.
    We have to save the Earth! It's the only planet with football and beer.

  8. #18
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    Who else is in that close race? ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    Who else is in that close race? ;-)
    WLS, KHJ, KLIF and the whole group of Storz stations. Maybe WKBW, KAAY, KFWB. Longshot candidate due to isolated location: KPOI with an incredible group of talent including Ron Jacobs, Tom Rounds (American Top 40), promoter Tom Moffatt, and even one of the guys who put together Woodstock.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  9. #19
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,575
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman View Post
    I would have to say WIBG (WIBBAGE) the 55-66 years, although they were 50kw-d, 10kw-n highly directional, it was said they had over 30 percent of the whole listening audience which is unheard of in this day and age. It was reported that stations, KHJ was one, all over the country would send their PDs to Philly just to listen and copy their whole presentation for their stations. That's how good they were, I can attest to that.
    I really doubt that Wibbage was a model for KHJ. The concept came out of Drake and Jacobs' Fresno War, moved on to KGB and then the whole RKO chain. Drake's roots were in Georgia, and KHJ's were a bit of Fresno and a lot of KPOI.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  10. #20
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,575
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithE4 View Post
    I would guess that its only real competition for out-of-market ratings was WLS, with maybe CKLW, WOWO, KAAY, and WCFL following closely. I don't include KHJ or others of lower than 50 kW, because they just didn't have the range.
    The real issue here is not coverage. CKLW was pretty much a KHJ clone, and KHJ had more listeners than CKLW as the market was smaller.

    If it's about coverage by night, the obvious winner was KOMA with ads for things ranging from New Mexico to Montana.

    But, sadly, those days of 50 kW rock blowtorches are gone. And they're not coming back. There are oldies shows on shortwave, via WTWW in Tennessee and WRMI in Miami, but they're only a few hours a day each.
    Some of the best Top 40's were actually in some smaller markets, such as WING in Dayton, WCOL in Columbus, KLEO in Whichita, KIOA in Des Moines, KTSA in San Antonio, WPDQ in Jacksonville, both WKDA and WMAK in Nashville. There are more like that, but there were fewer that had major influence over the industry at a national and perhaps international level. That is where WABC, KFWB and KHJ stand very tall.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

     
Useful Contacts
Community


123