Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Should WABC Go to Oldies on the Weekends ?

Quote Originally Posted by kidrauhl View Post
    Right but not everyone has hd radio if you put it a station like 95.5 I think itd be more popular.
    Except that the company that owns 95.5 isn't interested in smooth jazz

Also, putting something on the radio doesn't automatically make something popular. I can say that from personal experience.

Right but not everyone has hd radio if you put it a station like 95.5 I think itd be more popular.
    Probably, at least in terms of total ears reached, but as David pointed out, the format draws an audience agency advertisers don't target, so making smooth jazz profitable in New York would be impossible unless, somehow, the music were to catch on with younger and more ethnically diverse listeners. HD is pretty much the only place that makes sense for smooth jazz today, as most stations don't even try to sell advertising for their HD subchannels. Because smooth jazz is generally (unfairly, some say) seen as a dumbed-down, middle-brow form of jazz, it is a poor fit on noncommercial stations, too. Quite a few noncomms that program classical music also play jazz, but it's the critically acclaimed jazz of performers such as Miles Davis, John Coltrane, etc., not Kenny G and Tom Scott.

95.5 just got flipped last week to CCR from EMF inc.

Yeah i know that i wqas just saying that about putting smooth jazz on there theoretically.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314