• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Delmarva Broadcasting Sold to Forever Media

I am completely unfamiliar with Forever Media. Anyone know if they have an particular angle? Should we expect any format changes or staff cuts (or, as if we live in an alternate universe, an investment in staffing) as a result of the transaction?

I am completely unfamiliar with Forever Media. Anyone know if they have an particular angle? Should we expect any format changes or staff cuts (or, as if we live in an alternate universe, an investment in staffing) as a result of the transaction?

I know them from western PA. Not really deep pockets, which is why this surprises me. I don't expect format changes. They seem to like status quo.

I know them from western PA. Not really deep pockets, which is why this surprises me. I don't expect format changes. They seem to like status quo.

Yeah... I've heard nothing REALLY good, but nothing REALLY bad about them either. They DO like branding their stations alike though. Look at their station portfolio (http://www.forevermediainc.com/) and you'll see lots of Classic Rock stations called "Rocky," Classic Country stations called "Willie." "Hot" for their CHRs. "Majic" for their AC's. And LOTS of "Froggy" country stations. When they bought "Great Country 107.7" WGTY in Gettysburg... even though it had #1 ratings... they re-imaged it to "Froggy 107.7." (Hence my crack about soon seeing "Froggy 103.7")

Looks like Forever Media is a trying to pick up another small market. Can't say I like the lack luster branding or arcane personality names, but if they have a niche in the radio landscape. We'll see.

What'll happen to WDEL?

ixnay

I'd like to think it'll stay as it is, but you never know. Forever could drop WDEL back to just AM and launch something on 101.7. (Country/Froggy? Classic Country/Willie? Classic Rock/Rocky?). I don't know what WDEL bills, and if it justifies the 101.7 signal.

atthestars- VERY interesting point. WDEL I'm sure does fairly well for its market and modest signal coverage. I hope they keep WDEL on 101.7 BUT I don't think it's insane to think they might put a country station on 101.7. Although the blowtorch WDSD 94.7 from Dover covers the Wilmington market well, and WXTU 92.5. So, it'd be kinda crazy to do that. Perhaps a "majic 101.7" or something like that.

atthestars- VERY interesting point. WDEL I'm sure does fairly well for its market and modest signal coverage. I hope they keep WDEL on 101.7 BUT I don't think it's insane to think they might put a country station on 101.7. Although the blowtorch WDSD 94.7 from Dover covers the Wilmington market well, and WXTU 92.5. So, it'd be kinda crazy to do that. Perhaps a "majic 101.7" or something like that.

Does 101.7 really put that great of a signal into Wilmington from their tower way over in NJ? I know as "Kiss" it gathered fairly decent ratings.

My only thought for putting something else there is that a majority of the signals in the Canton/Bridgeton NJ area are fairly distant. Even WSTW, WJBR, and WDSD. So something there like Froggy on 101.7 would have some competition from a distant WDSD, WXTU, or slightly even WPUR. But generally, it would have the area to itself.

I always thought that their "news/talk" station in Lewes DE should share some programming with WDEL, especially at night and on the weekend. Between both stations, they covered the entire state. I think a statewide show, especially about Dover politics, could work.

Or even do an hour of "Delware's Evening News" that would simulcast.

atthestars- Yeah WDEL 101.7 has modest coverage into Wilmington, but I know from driving around there that it's spotty in some areas. Broadcasting only in mono helps get the most out of the signal but it's not the best.

You know now that I think about it- call me crazy- but what about something like "The River 101.7" playing oft A/C kinda like the breeze. Seeing as how the 101.7 signal is mostly thrown to the fishes in the delaware river- it could maybe work. If I was forever media- i'd leave well enough alone for now. If they feel the need to flip- they probably will down the road.

(I still like the river idea though so hey forever media- call me up)

@ @TheStars :

I second your WDSD comment about their signal. True, it's usually just on Tropo days, but I've heard them twice here north of Pottsville on such occasions, once in Queens NY, and once very loud on Long Island.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WDSD&service=FM

I live at the 'd' in the bold radio-locator atop the map. WDSD has an incredibly fortunate signal, tropo or no tropo. With little effort they cover parts of four states. With that signal and their decades-long tradition of being Country, one has to believe that WDSD would tend to cow (pun intended) any new competition.

Making some noise up this way is Hanna-FM. They're a class A station located virtually at Danville PA, on the SusqueHANNA. They're WHNA 92.3. The format is a slick, modern, hugely-up tempo mix of songs from the late 60's to maybe the 90's. All the genres are covered ... pop, rock and roll, disco, some hair-band stuff and AoR hits. They're a terrific listen in the car.
Imagine a station playing, in the same set, The Sunshine Company and Bad Company. !?!?!

Perhaps a station down that way in search of a format might want to tune in their stream.
http://hannaradio.com/

Why did 101.7 become a simulcast of 1150 in the first place? Poor ratings as Kiss?

I think it was because 1) many AM stations were looking for FM counterparts/translators, etc. The 101.7 was a good fit and 2) the signal isn't that great in Wilmington. (If you do a quick look on Radio-Locator, when you pull up "Wilmington DE," 101.7 isn't even on the list!) I can't image a station with that signal, with no decent sized city in the primary coverage area, could make much money -- especially as an urban.

@ @TheStars :

Making some noise up this way is Hanna-FM. They're a class A station located virtually at Danville PA, on the SusqueHANNA. They're WHNA 92.3. The format is a slick, modern, hugely-up tempo mix of songs from the late 60's to maybe the 90's. All the genres are covered ... pop, rock and roll, disco, some hair-band stuff and AoR hits. They're a terrific listen in the car.
Imagine a station playing, in the same set, The Sunshine Company and Bad Company. !?!?!

Perhaps a station down that way in search of a format might want to tune in their stream.
http://hannaradio.com/

Their website sucks. They still have stories on the main page that the 4th of July Parade needs volunteers and that NORAD is tracking Santa!

I think it was because 1) many AM stations were looking for FM counterparts/translators, etc. The 101.7 was a good fit and 2) the signal isn't that great in Wilmington. (If you do a quick look on Radio-Locator, when you pull up "Wilmington DE," 101.7 isn't even on the list!) I can't image a station with that signal, with no decent sized city in the primary coverage area, could make much money -- especially as an urban.

According to FCCdata.org, there is going to be a translator on 101.5 that will cover Wilmington. I wonder if this would cause any interference to 101.7.......

Why did 101.7 become a simulcast of 1150 in the first place? Poor ratings as Kiss?

ixnay

It wasn't owned by Delmarva when it was Kiss. When Delmarva purchased 101.7, they immediately flipped it from Kiss to a simulcast of WDEL

WDEL has much better coverage on WSTW HD2, then on 101.7, it is like a local here in Philly. Same as the Spanish format on 96.9, its like a local here on WJBR HD3. I know 96.9 is going to move from WJBR's tower across Naamans road to that fairly new tall one in WSTW's parking lot, so I guess they are now owned by the WSTW folks...Speaking of those folks, did Country 103.7 ever move from the tower on the banks of the Susquehanna to the old 1330 AM facility, weren't they on their many moons ago before country...

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom