• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WLS AM picks up Illinois football and basketball

Robert Feder is reporting that WLS AM has picked up Illinois football and basketball here is his story, https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/02/04/wls-radio-picks-illini-football-basketball/ . And it is under a 5 year deal, s that won't start until the fall, so the remaining basketball games for the season will still be heard on WSCR 670 the Score, so starting in the fall if you want to hear a Illinois football or basketball game on the radio you will have to move over to WLS< so I wonder if this will really get them to compete against WGN Radio with Northwestern football and basketball.

I'm not sure about this past season (2018-19), but wasn't WLS carrying the broadcasts of Notre Dame football and basketball games for some seasons?

I'm not sure about this past season (2018-19), but wasn't WLS carrying the broadcasts of Notre Dame football and basketball games for some seasons?

They did but I can't recall off the top my head the last season they were on, but currently they are on WMVP ESPN Radio 1000. I don't know if it would be a smart move to air two different colleges football and basketball games, if they could any game conflicts, one of the games would air on another Chicago radio station, and then WLS will air the other game on their station.

WMVP - AM-1000 - seems to be a good choice. It's signal gets out well especially at night. I'm not sure how it might compare to WLS in terms of long-range coverage, but it should cover a wide area.

WMVP - AM-1000 - seems to be a good choice. It's signal gets out well especially at night. I'm not sure how it might compare to WLS in terms of long-range coverage, but it should cover a wide area.

Not sure either, Illinois football rarely (if ever) gets any nights games, even on Saturdays and even when the time when it gets darker earlier and they have a 2:30 kickoff, and it is dark by the time the game is over, does that really count as a night game? Here is their schedule https://fightingillini.com/schedule.aspx?path=football , with game time all TBA, which they should be announced at least a couple of weeks before gametime. College basketball will be played a lot of weeks ay nights, and at various times on the weekends, but don't recall them ever getting say a late night basketball game in Illinois.

WLS certainly gets out into downstate Illinois better than the other Chicago 50Ks by virtue of its tower location. The problem with AM 1000 is it's directional to the east at night and cuts out areas of the west (and southwest?).

WLS certainly gets out into downstate Illinois better than the other Chicago 50Ks by virtue of its tower location. The problem with AM 1000 is it's directional to the east at night and cuts out areas of the west (and southwest?).

Exactly! If you are west or southwest of Chicago AM 1000 is tougher to hear at night.

In less you are a fan of the Dan Lebart show there is really no good reason to listen to them between 10 PM and midnight, and you if you can you can always listen online at http://www.espn.com/espnradio/chicago/play . All you have to do for internet access is click the link, as I did all the work for you to get there. No I don't live in the southwest or west, so I can pick up the station fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom