• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WLS AM

staggmovie

Star Participant
We are almost a month into the new schedule of WLS AM, and I wonder how many people despite the changes that they made, still listen to WLS. They know only have 5 hours of local programming a day on their radio station, that goes to 20 hours on a 5 day week. The rest of the time are syndicated radio hosts that do their show from their home studios. And they fill in the hours between 9 AM and 5 PM, where the two local hosts are Mancow in the mornings, and Big John Howell now back doing a solo show in late afternoon to early evening. Prior to this schedule they had at least a couple locals shows, with included Steve Dahl doing an afternoon show that lasted 4 years. Now 3 hour of those hours belong to a syndicated radio host that only does a 2 hour live afternoon show, with a 1 hour podcast heard before the start of the live show. And even the evening programs between 7 and Midnight are syndicated programming, 2 years you saw a husband and wife team, hosting a local late morning show, that only lasted close to a year. Interesting the guy that is now heard afternoons on WLS AM, I cam seeing mentioned on his Wikipedia page, his cousin is Mara Wilson who you would remember as a child actress in the 90's being with Mrs. Doutbtfire, and ending with Thomas an the Magic Railroad.

I would have to imagine at least their home radio stations studios, or wherever they have their show set up to broadcast, they have to broadcast from somewhere right?

I'm just asking. You said they do shows from home studios, and I wondered how you knew it was home at not another Cumulus station.

I'm just asking. You said they do shows from home studios, and I wondered how you knew it was home at not another Cumulus station.

It could be possible that Rush Limbaugh could do the show from his home or any of them if they have a home studio set, but do do I care where he does his show from no, I have never listened to his show and I never will for who knows how many years he will do it. Do you like to give me a hard time, I think I can sum that answer with a three letter word.

Regardless, I thought it was a fair question. It's also very possible that Mancow does his show from home or another location from time to time. And I agree with you that none of it matters. It really doesn't matter if the hosts are local or syndicated either. What matters is that they are good and attract some listeners. We'll all see how they do in a few weeks. My guess is it will take a while for some of the new folks to build an audience.

It could be possible that Rush Limbaugh could do the show from his home...

You picked the one example where we know this not to be the case.

Rush's residential location does not permit a home business operation such as a studio. So he had to rent a location in a commercial area to install his studio.

I seem to recall that Rush broadcast from home before he lost his hearing. After the hearing loss, he had to add some staff to help him, such as the court reporter who transcribes the callers in real time, and whatever the "broadcast observer" (Bo Snerdley/James Golden) actually does.

Rush's residential location does not permit a home business operation such as a studio. So he had to rent a location in a commercial area to install his studio.

That is why I said is a possibility, I don't know if it did or didn't and did I really personally care? And besides I am very rarely near a radio in the hours that he is on to listen to him anyways, expect for 2 days this past week anyways.

I seem to recall that Rush broadcast from home before he lost his hearing. After the hearing loss, he had to add some staff to help him, such as the court reporter who transcribes the callers in real time, and whatever the "broadcast observer" (Bo Snerdley/James Golden) actually does.

It must have good for him to gotten help when he need it

It must have good for him to gotten help when he need it

Rush always had a screener and/or producer, right from the beginning when he self-syndicated. He later added more staff to book guests, research topics, go through press releases, and the like.

Rush always had a screener and/or producer, right from the beginning when he self-syndicated. He later added more staff to book guests, research topics, go through press releases, and the like.

Exactly, imagine how strange it would be if a host had no idea of who is on the line waiting to talk to them or even a guest. Could you imagine if you heard tis on a radio where you can pretend it could be any radio show host local or national, "let's go to the phones hi who am I talking to", and then for example the caller who say who they are "I am Sam", and then they call go on to say what they want to talk about. And even with the name of Sam it could be either a male or female. And it is hard for a host to screen their calls, and the only way possible for that to happen, if they did it during the commercial breaks, but I have to imagine that would be tiring, and plus how about for callers, they have to be tired of waiting to be on hold until the host can get to the phone system to screen their calls, they have to wait to be they are at a commercial break. Which I sometimes will hear a radio host maybe more on a local show then on a national radio show to turn their radios down. I ma sure it has to be nerve wrecking when you call a radio show, or station, where a syndicated radio show you have to call the phone # that they give out, you don't call the local radio station that you hear their show on. Where a local radio show of course you would call the station. And i am sure it would be a lot for a radio show host(s) to book their own guests.

Mark Levin does his show from home. You can ocassionally hear his dog barking in the background.

That screener and producer doesn't have to be in the same physical location, though

Exactly, imagine how strange it would be if a host had no idea of who is on the line waiting to talk to them or even a guest. Could you imagine if you heard tis on a radio where you can pretend it could be any radio show host local or national, "let's go to the phones hi who am I talking to", and then for example the caller who say who they are "I am Sam", and then they call go on to say what they want to talk about. And even with the name of Sam it could be either a male or female. And it is hard for a host to screen their calls, and the only way possible for that to happen, if they did it during the commercial breaks, but I have to imagine that would be tiring, and plus how about for callers, they have to be tired of waiting to be on hold until the host can get to the phone system to screen their calls, they have to wait to be they are at a commercial break. Which I sometimes will hear a radio host maybe more on a local show then on a national radio show to turn their radios down. I ma sure it has to be nerve wrecking when you call a radio show, or station, where a syndicated radio show you have to call the phone # that they give out, you don't call the local radio station that you hear their show on. Where a local radio show of course you would call the station. And i am sure it would be a lot for a radio show host(s) to book their own guests.

Mark Levin does his show from home. You can ocassionally hear his dog barking in the background.

He is like Stephanie Miller, she does her show from her home, and there are times you can hear her dogs once or both of them bark on the air.

He is like Stephanie Miller, she does her show from her home, and there are times you can hear her dogs once or both of them bark on the air.

In addition, she often mentions that her studio is in the basement of her house. (Apparently, there have been plumbing problems of late.)

In addition, she often mentions that her studio is in the basement of her house. (Apparently, there have been plumbing problems of late.)

I have been listening to her show quite a bit in the last week, bot on an every day basis, I did heard the first 80 minutes of her show today, and one day for 3 hours which is her entire show, and i haven't heard mention plumbing problems. But think about that, all she has to do is go to her basement to her show, while the rest of her crew and any in studio guests drive to her home, and she still dress and no comes down wearing a war robe. Plus you can watch the show on Free Speech's website, or her website, and even catch with replays until her next live show.

That screener and producer doesn't have to be in the same physical location, though

But you think that they should be close by, but if you ever listen or watch The Stephanie Miller Show, she does her show from her studio in her basement where much of her crew is at the same table as her, I don't know exactly where her screener is, but everybody else is at the same table.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom