• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

92.7 FM's transmitter/tower location?

Billkex

Banned for racist posts.
There are several areas of the metro area it is difficult to clearly pick up 92.7FM in a car.
Where is their transmitter? ...and what is their power?

There are several areas of the metro area it is difficult to clearly pick up 92.7FM in a car.
Where is their transmitter? ...and what is their power?

92.7, or K224CJ, is a translator attached to 1440 AM and the HD-2 of KDKB.

It's a directional 250 watt transmitter on South Mountain. 250 watts is the maximum power for a translator.

The "Big Dogs" on South Mountain are 100,000 watts.

The FCC says,

"FM translators and FM boosters comprise a low power service on the FM broadcast band (88 to 108 MHz) that complements the primary FM service. This service was first created in 1970 to allow FM stations to provide supplementary service to areas in which direct reception of radio service is unsatisfactory due to distance or intervening terrain barriers (for example, a mountain). Most translators or boosters may not originate programming, except for the limited fundraising efforts in the case of translators as explained below. (Exception -- some FM translators relaying AM daytime-only stations may continue to transmit programming when the AM station is off the air at night.) Translator stations rebroadcasting a commercial AM or FM station (the primary station) may be authorized on Channel 221 through 300 (92.1 MHz to 107.9 MHz), while a translator rebroadcasting a noncommercial educational station (the primary station) may be authorized on any FM channel (Channels 201 to 300, or 88.1 MHz to 107.9 MHz). The maximum effective radiated power permitted for any translator station is 250 watts, while the maximum effective radiated power for a booster station is 20% of the main station's maximum class power."

More at https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/fm-translators-and-boosters#WHATIS

They have a couple of Yagi antennas and an odd antenna pattern. My experience has been lousy reception near Sky Harbor, even with a good view of South Mt. Not a flamethrower by any means.

I did not know that 92.7 was increased to 250 Watts. Last I knew it was only broadcasting at a mere 10 Watts.

I did not know that 92.7 was increased to 250 Watts. Last I knew it was only broadcasting at a mere 10 Watts.

The increase to 250 watts was granted in May 2015.

It's probably due to good line-of-sight but I've been able to retain a good 92.7 HD signal well past Eloy headed down to Tucson. The rest of the metro area is pretty good as well except right next to Snottsdale Airpark where, I think, airport radar and/or other radio messes with it.

Somehow the Nurse and I recall this being the first translator to sell for over $1m in the Valley. While it's the translator of KDKB~HD Too, everyone knows it's the Oldies that originate on Lumberyard 14~Forty that drive the ratings of Oldies 92~Seven (and 93~Three HD~Too). The legacy of the Lamptimer lives on!

In other Media Hut trivia...how many noticed 88~Three is now Bible Thumping 24/7 in English? That's right...CCF closed on the sale of its more than half of 88~Three after the first of the year to VCY America. They've chosen to retain the KCCF calls, while at night (and overnight) the station is owned by Family Radio and uses the KPHF calls.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice that 95.5 the Mountain plays more 60’s music than KOOL? This past week I heard Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones and Bang 545, aka Brown-Eyed Girl by Van Morrison. Those songs have been retired off of KOOL for most of the decade. It’s sad when 95.5 the Mountain plays more oldies / classic hits than KOOL!

It's not sad, it's a different format. KNIX isn't playing Buck Owens anymore either.

Country music has gone through a similar metamorphosis as pop music these past two decades. Questionable talent and tight jeans to make up for it. Sad, very sad.

Country music has gone through a similar metamorphosis as pop music these past two decades. Questionable talent and tight jeans to make up for it. Sad, very sad.

Any current form of culture, from country music to pop music to the movies to TV shows to the style of clothing have to change and adapt as time moves on.

Otherwise, they're just standing still. You can't stop the hands of time. You can just ignore it.

The "tight jeans" complaint goes back to Elvis and The Beatles.

The difference, of course, is that both Elvis and The Beatles had tons of talent. Today talent passes for a big belt buckle.

I was at the Stagecoach festival last year, where there were literally dozens of artist performing live. Some were relative newcomers like Kane Brown and Midland, others were superstars like Garth and Keith and FGL. Still others were traditional, from Gordon Lightfoot to Dwight Yoacam.

One thing I can say is that they were all talented both as musicians and singers. There was no lip syncing and lots of improvisation, spontaneous duos like Keith Urban and Dwight.

And there were a lot less belt buckles and sequins on the clothing of the men and the women.

It's probably due to good line-of-sight but I've been able to retain a good 92.7 HD signal well past Eloy headed down to Tucson. The rest of the metro area is pretty good as well except right next to Snottsdale Airpark where, I think, airport radar and/or other radio messes with it.

I've gotten KOOL HD2 down to around Cogburn's Ostrich Farm. I can barely pick up KEZ's HD in my house (and they shut it off at night, probably to save tube life--they're one of the few that run a Tube HD transmitter)!

Somehow the Nurse and I recall this being the first translator to sell for over $1m in the Valley. While it's the translator of KDKB~HD Too, everyone knows it's the Oldies that originate on Lumberyard 14~Forty that drive the ratings of Oldies 92~Seven (and 93~Three HD~Too). The legacy of the Lamptimer lives on!

In other Media Hut trivia...how many noticed 88~Three is now Bible Thumping 24/7 in English? That's right...CCF closed on the sale of its more than half of 88~Three after the first of the year to VCY America. They've chosen to retain the KCCF calls, while at night (and overnight) the station is owned by Family Radio and uses the KPHF calls.

I'm sure KCCF-FM changed their calls to KVCP. They've been announcing that on a loop for a couple weeks now. The FCC shutdown has backed them up so much that they haven't updated their online databases yet.

I'm sure KCCF-FM changed their calls to KVCP. They've been announcing that on a loop for a couple weeks now. The FCC shutdown has backed them up so much that they haven't updated their online databases yet.

What, no Cave Creek/Carefree call letters again?!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom