• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

YouTubeTV adds 95 new markets

https://youtube.googleblog.com/2019/01/youtube-tvs-gearing-up-for-big-game-and.html

Nearly two years ago, we launched YouTube TV, a new and reimagined way to enjoy cable-free live TV on your terms. Since then, we've been working to make sure that people in the top 100 markets in the United States can watch their favorite sports, news, and shows—without the hassles that come with traditional cable TV. Today, we’re thrilled to announce that we’re bringing this experience to the rest of the country. YouTube TV is going nationwide! Just in time for the Big Game, you can now bring together some tasty game day snacks with the full experience of YouTube TV. That’s exciting news for living rooms, cord-cutters, and cord-nevers in neighborhoods far and wide, from Bozeman to Gainesville, Anchorage to Yuma, and Erie to Topeka. We’re rolling out YouTube TV to 95 markets starting today, covering over 98 percent of households in the United States. The remainder will follow shortly thereafter. You can see the latest list in our FAQs.

Looks like Yakima is one of those markets. They give you KVEW for ABC and the rest of the stations come from Yakima (they only give you one CBS, KIMA. Satellite gives you both KEPR and KIMA due to different local news) They don't have any of the Discovery networks, A&E, Food Network, HGTV, Paramount Network, Nick, MTV etc. so a lot of cable mainstays are missing.

I recently got YouTube TV. It's worth the money for sports alone, at least to me, although NFL and NHL Networks aren't yet available. Anyone know if that situation might change? I can see NFL Network hesitating about biting the cable and OTA hands that feed it, but the NHL? The NBA, MLB, Golf, Tennis, and even the Big Ten and SEC Networks are on board. Why not the NHL?

so a lot of cable mainstays are missing.

That'a a good thing. If you want a package of "cable mainstays" you should buy cable. The whole point of a service like YouTube TV is to be less costly than cable -- a mission that it is only OK at. $40 a month, on top of the Internet subscription that enables it, is only marginally cheaper than the cable bundle.

They don't have any of the Discovery networks, A&E, Food Network, HGTV, Paramount Network, Nick, MTV etc. so a lot of cable mainstays are missing.

The usual suggestion on the cordcutters forums I browse is to sign up for Philo along with YTTV. Philo offers the Discovery/Scripps and Viacom networks that YTTV doesn't carry.

I checked and Jackson, TN is still not listed, and Memphis or Nashville aren't available. But Where I live in Alamo, about 20 miles away, I can get the Memphis lineup.

They also tried to launch Google Fiber in a lot of places, and ran into lots of local red tape. That would have allowed a complete drop of cable.

I checked and Jackson, TN is still not listed, and Memphis or Nashville aren't available. But Where I live in Alamo, about 20 miles away, I can get the Memphis lineup.

The zip 37011 worked for me to get the Nashville lineup and 37544 got me Memphis. Here is a list from CNet that shows all the currently available markets: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17Oo49sGieN91haFLy9wpxmgPbN3CgwMxtbVPjTIUgaE/edit#gid=0

Comes from this post: https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-tv-comes-to-95-more-us-markets-in-time-for-the-super-bowl/

And for Jackson, TN

Based on the spreadsheet from the Cnet article. Here's a list of the remaining 15 unsupported market areas. Everywhere else in the country should be supported:

Abilene-Sweetwater (#165)
Alpena (#208)
Casper-Riverton (#198)
Columbus, GA (Opelika, AL) (#127)
Glendive (#210)
Hattiesburg-Laurel (#168)
Helena (#205)
Jackson, TN (#177)
Juneau (#207)
Lafayette, LA (#121)
Quincy-Hannibal-Keokuk (#172)
Salisbury (#143)
Victoria (#203)
Youngstown (#117)
Zanesville (#204)

I also see YouTube TV bases everything on strictly DMAs. You cannot get Seattle TV in Cle Elum, or Ellensburg, just the Yakima stations.
Don't think satellite gives western Kittitas county residents a choice anymore, either.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom