• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HD4

I wonder if the engineer of WXNY is friends with the owner of WOLD. That seems to be the only explanation why it was on there, buried on the HD4 of a Spanish station in which HD 1-3 are all Spanish

Or perhaps they are getting an extra $10,000 a month in rent... give or take... for the HD-4. Low or no cost added revenue.

Engineers don't decide what programming goes on any channel.

Or perhaps they are getting an extra $10,000 a month in rent... give or take... for the HD-4. Low or no cost added revenue.

Engineers don't decide what programming goes on any channel.
As I'm sure you've experienced, they sometimes do if they're just holding space for an eventual tenant which sounds like what happened in this case. There have been some very interesting temporary formats chosen by engineers as they tweak and tune. And if an LPFM has a spare $10K a month to play with, I want access to those investors! :)

Quick update on Radio Freedom FM, there are now liners between most songs (in Russian), including one that boasts its signal 'from the top of the tallest building in America'. Bigger playlist that isn't looped this evening. Still no online presence whatsoever. Maybe it'll be in the Russian newspapers next week.

The engineer of 104.7 played all New York showtunes for months while looking for a tenant. Apparently people liked the loop of show tunes enough that 106.7-HD2 switched its format to show tunes.
I highly doubt WOLD would ever pay $10000 a month to be buried on the HD4 of a Spanish station when it doesn't even need that to feed any translators. It's not even worth $10000 a month to be on the HD2 of CBS FM.
So as a placeholder, the engineer could have just put on WOLD out of personal preference, and it's something that would not take away any listeners from the main HD1 station.

So as a placeholder, the engineer could have just put on WOLD out of personal preference, and it's something that would not take away any listeners from the main HD1 station.

Then again the music that station plays already exists on the radio station's hard drives. So they could just play those songs without promoting someone else's radio station (which could get them in trouble).

WOLD-LP is claiming that their simulcast on 103.3 WPRB-HD3 can be heard in both Philadelphia and New York City.

Part of Philly, maybe, but no way WPRB can be received in HD in NYC, because the digital sidebands clash with that of 103.5 WKTU.

WOLD-LP is claiming that their simulcast on 103.3 WPRB-HD3 can be heard in both Philadelphia and New York City.

Part of Philly, maybe, but no way WPRB can be received in HD in NYC, because the digital sidebands clash with that of 103.5 WKTU.

What city is Staten Island a Borough of?? New York City I believe unless the lines have been redrawn. Always a good idea to fact check before stating inaccurate nonsense. Last I knew a "FACT" wasn't a "CLAIM..." I enjoyed them while on the HD4... but as business goes, Money TALKS but at least compared to some on these boards, IT makes complete sense!

What city is Staten Island a Borough of?? New York City I believe unless the lines have been redrawn. Always a good idea to fact check before stating inaccurate nonsense. Last I knew a "FACT" wasn't a "CLAIM..." I enjoyed them while on the HD4... but as business goes, Money TALKS but at least compared to some on these boards, IT makes complete sense!

OK, then post some proof of your claim that WPRB-HD3 is receivable on Staten Island, so that we can fact-check it.

At least on my car radio, WPRB doesn't start to become receivable in HD until around a 20 to 25 mile radius away from Manhattan, due to sideband interference from WKTU's HD signal.

OK, then post some proof of your claim that WPRB-HD3 is receivable on Staten Island, so that we can fact-check it.

At least on my car radio, WPRB doesn't start to become receivable in HD until around a 20 to 25 mile radius away from Manhattan, due to sideband interference from WKTU's HD signal.

Do YOU work? Perhaps if not you can take a ride around your stated "20-25 mile radius" and check it out for yourself via the Outerbridge or Goethals. I don't live in Staten Island and on my last trip there I had no issues. Clearly the 96.3 HD signal was superior because of LOS to Empire but that doesn't seem to be an option any longer.

You clearly have an axe to grind with this station and its evident on your incessant posts every time something comes up regarding it. I happen to like it because its unique and I always like to see the "little guy" have a fighting chance in today's predictable radio world. If by default you would like to chew me out personally, feel free. You seem educated just not quite the know-it-all you make yourself out to be... Mark that as a fact not a claim!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom