• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOR Repeats at 6PM?

Hearing WOR after 6PM here in new England...and they keep mentioning "this morning" and "later on today".

This is a repeat hour from the morning show?

Is this temporary?

What's temporary?

Yes they are repeating Len Berman's morning show at 6PM. The whole show from 6PM to 9PM.

It replaces Pete McCarthy's Sports Zone, which was dropped at the end of last year.

The new show may be temporary as well.

To quote from the article it's, "...a mix of top news stories, politics, movies, television, Broadway, pop culture and consumer issues. Additionally, the hosts will offer their views on the stories of the day from both sides of the political aisle and will take calls from listeners."

Wow, something for everyone! If done right I suppose it could work but all too often this kind of thing pleases no one. It's the talk equivalent of "Top 40" and we know how popular that is these days.

It's the talk equivalent of "Top 40" and we know how popular that is these days.

It's very popular these days, just not with baby boomers.

The thing about it is it's local talk at a time when most stations are doing syndication.

Since iHeart acquired WOR in 2012, that 6-9 p.m. slot has changed numerous times. iHeart first put its Premiere Networks 6 p.m. show in that slot, "America Now with Andy Dean." Then it was given to the syndicated Dave Ramsey Show. Then when WOR acquired the rights to the Mets, it became the Sports Zone, a local show with Pete McCarthy. Now it is repeats of the Len Berman & Michael Riedel morning show and in a couple of weeks it will be "WOR Tonight with Joe Concha & Lis Wiehl."

I hope a local talk show might last. WOR has only two local shows on its schedule now, the morning show plus Mark Simone from 10am-noon. And there is a one hour newscast at 5 a.m. with News Director Joe Bartlett. WOR has only seven hours of local programming, while co-owned KFI Los Angeles has all local programming other than Coast to Coast overnight.

One host of this new show, Joe Concha, is a Fox News regular and fills in for Rush and Hannity on occasion. The other host, Lis Wiehl, is a Harvard Law grad and does legal commentary for NBC. (I don't think I've ever seen her. NBC has Pete Williams as its Supreme Court and legal reporter.)

So let's hope for the best. But why do I get the feeling it will be Concha setting the agenda and getting the first and last word, while Wiehl takes the part of Colmes in Hannity & Colmes. She'll be there to say "But wait."

One host of this new show, Joe Concha, is a Fox News regular and fills in for Rush and Hannity on occasion. The other host, Lis Wiehl, is a Harvard Law grad and does legal commentary for NBC. (I don't think I've ever seen her. NBC has Pete Williams as its Supreme Court and legal reporter.)

I don't think she's been at NBC for a while. Her previous employer was Fox News, and she was one of Bill O'Reilly's accusers.

My take is that this is an audition for a replacement morning show when Len Berman's contract is up.

What's temporary?

I guess my first feeling was that it was temporary, because:

1.) I knew they had some sports changes there, and...

2.) Having a host referring to things that occurred already and saying good morning over and over, is pretty sketchy.

Management doesn't care about cheesy these days. It's a chicken/egg situation. Are ratings down because of stuff like this or do we get stuff like this due to low ratings, hence revenue? I suspect poor management is the chicken.

Management doesn't care about cheesy these days.

What would you do? The other option (and they did this once before) is run a talk show from another market for a month.

They're just looking to fill a low rated block for a month. If a tree falls in an empty forest, does it really matter?

As I said, many stations around the country re-run their morning show in other dayparts. Perfectly acceptable.

What I would do doesn't matter. Ask instead, "What would Rick Sklar do?'

He would get rid of all the talk programming immediately. All of it. Just like he did with the Breakfast Club and Howard Cosell.

But even he knew that AM was dead in the 80s. That's why he came up with the concept of SuperRadio.

That was a nationally syndicated satellite-delivered 24/7 format.

He should have come up with talk radio. That's what saved AM for a few more decades.

He was asked about it when WABC went talk, and he wasn't interested. For him, it was all about hit songs.

He left WINS when it went all news, so he had a shot. He just wasn't interested.

He was asked about it when WABC went talk, and he wasn't interested. For him, it was all about hit songs.

He left WINS when it went all news, so he had a shot. He just wasn't interested.

Rick Sklar was no longer PD by the time the music died at WABC. Having been promoted to VP of programming for ABC’s radio division some five years earlier, Mr. Sklar helped to create, among other things, ABC’s Talkradio network which launched in 1982.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom