• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

‘SMILF’ Creator Frankie Shaw Addresses Misconduct Allegations

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/smilf-frankie-shaw-misconduct-allegations-1203109639/

THere are allegations out on Frankie shaw's treatment of its cast members

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...e-shaw-investigated-misconduct-claims-1170077

“SMILF” creator, showrunner, and star Frankie Shaw addressed the allegations of misconduct made against her during a new interview on Wednesday.

“This is my first time doing this job and we moved fast, and I was learning on the go and I’m just really grateful that I can take these lessons of being a more aware and attuned showrunner moving forward,” Shaw told Hoda Kotb and Jenna Bush Hager on NBC’s “Today.”

“And I will say I am really proud of a lot of the work we did, you know?” she continued. “We had approximately 50% female crew in Boston. We had almost all women directors…[including] Kerry Washington.”

Rosie O’Donnell who stars in “SMILF,” added “It’s a beautiful set, I have to say. There is a family feel on the set and the great thing about Frankie is she addressed the stuff and the network did, and everybody is okay and here we go.”

As Variety reported in December, “SMILF” producer ABC Studios opened an investigation into Shaw after actress Samara Weaving raised concerns to O’Donnell and a director on the Showtime series after being asked to perform a sex scene in the nude with co-star Miguel Gomez during production on the show’s second season. Weaving also said that she had been made uncomfortable by Shaw’s behavior during production of a similar scene in Season 1, as Weaving had a no-nudity clause in her contract.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...ts-lawmakers-seek-withhold-them-probe-1177344

An update on the Frankie shaw investigation as the Massachusetts state legislature looks at ABC/Disneys handling of the misconduct allegations on Frankie Shaw.

. Local lawmakers are calling for any and all tax breaks to the Showtime comedy to be suspended pending an investigation into its star's on-set behavior.
SMILF's tax credits may be in jeopardy.

Amid an ABC investigation into creator and star Frankie Shaw's allegedly inappropriate behavior on set, lawmakers in Massachusetts — where the Boston-set series shoots — are calling for the show's tax incentives to be suspended pending the outcome of the studio's probe. Some local lawmakers and activists are also calling on the state's Attorney General's office to launch a separate and independent investigation into the matter.

"We write to express our concerns regarding the investigation of ABC’s production, SMILF, due to allegations of harassment, civil rights violations and unfair labor practices existing on the show," reads a letter to the state's office of housing and economic development. "[W]e do not believe that taxpayers in Massachusetts should be subsidizing this production, especially not until an independent investigation has been completed."

The letter was signed by state senators Nick Collins and Sonia Chang-Diaz, along with at least a dozen other state representatives (see the full letter, below). The move would impact SMILF's most recent second season, which was filmed in the state in 2018, which means the studio must apply for the tax credits in 2019. Projects that film in the state and spend more than $50,000 in qualified expenditures are eligible to receive a 25 percent tax credit.

"As someone in the legislature and a woman of color, I found the allegations concerning ABC’s production of the show SMILF — which was based in our city — to be appalling," said state representative Liz Miranda, who signed the letter. "To me, if this production has applied for any tax credits, I feel like there needs to be a pause and there needs to be an independent investigation conducted by our AG."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...ator-frankie-shaws-alleged-misconduct-1177459

An Update Showtime and Disney has cancelled SMILF due to the Frankie Shaw Misconduct allegations

Shaw's overall deal with ABC Studios has been suspended without pay while the Disney-owned company reviews its options.
Showtime is getting out of the SMILF business.

Amid producer ABC Studios' investigation into the SMILF creator and star Frankie Shaw's alleged on-set misconduct, Showtime has opted to not renew the Golden Globe-nominated comedy for a third season.

"After weighing a variety of factors, Showtime has decided that SMILF will not move forward for a third season. The remainder of the second season will continue to air as scheduled on Showtime through its series finale on March 31. We remain extremely proud of the two seasons of SMILF, and thank Frankie Shaw for her singular voice and unique creation, as well as the dozens of writers, producers, actors, directors and crew members both in Los Angeles and on location in Boston, who contributed to this exceptional series," Showtime said in a statement.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom