• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What has happened to WXIO-LP in Ridge Manor?

I've been staying with my daughter a few miles west of the station location on SR-50. Routine checks come up with no signal. A check with the FCC indicates that they should be up and running. The website has not been updated for some time.

I’m am in the Ridge Manor E, area about half the time , .4 miles from the tower on that church near S50 and RM community center. They were on the air last week for 3 or 4 days but not broadcasting anything except a loud electrical buzz; so I checked the FCC website to see if they had any pending correspondence with the FCC and if they do, it’s not on the FCC FM query website. Up until their approx 96 hours on the air last week, they had been off the air for nearly a year. They were broadcasting their full power but obviously there is some other problem.

The weekly RM News used to promote them and Visa-versa and the RM News took WXIO’s logo and promotions off their masthead about 5 months ago.

Thanks DRT. I haven't heard the buzz. I'll look for it. When I say dead I mean dead. No carrier. I am about 1 mile east of Spring Lake Road on SR-50. BTW, have you listened to 102.9? Coverage area?

Thanks DRT. I haven't heard the buzz. I'll look for it. When I say dead I mean dead. No carrier. I am about 1 mile east of Spring Lake Road on SR-50. BTW, have you listened to 102.9? Coverage area?

I just heard their web stream. It was running music but no ID. What I did hear was 102.7 FM but no call sign or city of license.

Cross Country Classics was the old i.d. and the oneI just heard, WXIO must have returned to the air either today or late yesterday; I returned to East Hernando from St. P yesterday morning and at the time, they were not back on the air.

The eleactrical buzz was obviously some type of problem and after several days, the dead air returned; I was more than surprised to hear them back on the air this evening. I am am around .3 to .4 miles from their tower, and I just got the portable with a signal strength indicator and their signal where I am lights up all 5 bars without even extending the antenna. I haven’t listened to 102.9, I will have to get further away from WXIO’s tower, as right here, they sometimes bleed over the 102.5 (which has a crappy signal here-and with 102.5’s tower in Manatee county that is to be expected).

I have when traveling toward Dade City on US 301 received 102.9 Oldies from Bartow’s translator for WWBF 1130 AM.

At 45 minutes past the hour, WXIO just gave what would be their TOH i.d. (Obviously a little early unless there are going to give the complete I.D. Again. I will listen during the day tomorrow to see if they are going to resume any local news and weather, as they aired before the were absent from the airwaves for so long.

As for 102.7 coverage area, going south I lose them just north of Dade City; going north I lose them in Bushnell and going toward your your direction I lose them about just about a mile or two east of Pappa Joe’s restaurant .

Cross Country Classics was the old i.d. and the oneI just heard, WXIO must have returned to the air either today or late yesterday; I returned to East Hernando from St. P yesterday morning and at the time, they were not back on the air.

The eleactrical buzz was obviously some type of problem and after several days, the dead air returned; I was more than surprised to hear them back on the air this evening. I am am around .3 to .4 miles from their tower, and I just got the portable with a signal strength indicator and their signal where I am lights up all 5 bars without even extending the antenna. I haven’t listened to 102.9, I will have to get further away from WXIO’s tower, as right here, they sometimes bleed over the 102.5 (which has a crappy signal here-and with 102.5’s tower in Manatee county that is to be expected).

I have when traveling toward Dade City on US 301 received 102.9 Oldies from Bartow’s translator for WWBF 1130 AM.

At 45 minutes past the hour, WXIO just gave what would be their TOH i.d. (Obviously a little early unless there are going to give the complete I.D. Again. I will listen during the day tomorrow to see if they are going to resume any local news and weather, as they aired before the were absent from the airwaves for so long.

As for 102.7 coverage area, going south I lose them just north of Dade City; going north I lose them in Bushnell and going toward your your direction I lose them about just about a mile or two east of Pappa Joe’s restaurant .

45 mins past is fine. the fcc now defines the time for the legal id as a natural break in programming. My station does it at 5 after

45 mins past is fine. the fcc now defines the time for the legal id as a natural break in programming. My station does it at 5 after
Thanks for the clarification, someradioguy; I was under the impression that the earliest the TOH ID could be done was 50 minutes past the hour........ and WXIO did the complete ID again at 57 minutes past the hour, with the obvious automation I guess they don’t want to take any chances, since they have had so many problems; when they were last on the air continuously early last year or late 2017; they were asking for donations, I understand through someone that there was some type of problem with their antenna as well as at times their sound was coming only out of one channel, now everything seems resolved for the moment.

Correction for car reception report for WXIO:

As for 102.7 coverage area, going south I lose them just north of Dade City; going north I lose them in Bushnell and going toward your your direction I lose them about just about a mile or two W E S T (not east) of Pappa Joe’s restaurant .

As for 102.7 coverage area, going south I lose them just north of Dade City; going north I lose them in Bushnell and going toward your your direction I lose them about just about a mile or two W E S T (not east) of Pappa Joe’s restaurant .

Thanks DRT. Operating an LPFM, I always have an interest in others LOL!

Hi DRT: Went to church in Bushnell. I was amazed to hear them at all that far north especially as low as their antenna is. You can hear them at Dade City Walmart if your car is in the right spot LOL!

Our station pretty much runs out of gas near 98 and 301.

WLSL scribed: “Hi DRT: Went to church in Bushnell. I was amazed to hear them at all that far north especially as low as their antenna is. You can hear them at Dade City Walmart if your car is in the right spot LOL!

Our station pretty much runs out of gas near 98 and 301.”
``````````````````````````
Greetings WLSL and all: I had not dx’d the FM band in my car in a long time; usually listen to my music from phone or XM; but now I am seeing what I can pick up on FM; on your station going north toward Ridge Manor from Dade City; like you I basically lose 92.7 where US301 and US 98 split (by the service station and a Dollar General Store), I had occasion to go to Z’hills this past Saturday and once I got about a mile south of Clinton, the translator out of Bartow/Mulberry started to severaly interfere with WLSL.

Today I returned to RM after a few days in SP and it seems that WXIO is operating on reduced power; didn’t try to turn it in until about 2 miles north of downtown Dade City and I thought there were off the air again, but on the trip back to Ridge Manor E; discovered they are on reduced power; I encountered fluttering and static even at the Hernando/Pasco county line (going up US 301) and finally when I was about 1 mile south of the intersection of US 301 and SR50/Cortez was there a good steady signal. Now on the radio with the antenna NOT extended it’s 3 out of 5 bars for signal strength instead of 5; it is still five with the antenna extended. So unless they go back to full power, you may not receive them in Bushnell. Also for people in the area, 1170 AM in Bushnell is back on the air after about a year’s absence. (Studios in Winter Haven/Cypress Grdns as they repeat the programming from 1360 in Winter Haven).

Also, if anyone every finds themselves in the extreme western end of the Bushnell WalMart or the shopping center to the west (Dollar Store/phone store and fitness center) turn in to 92.5; there is a signal that goes about 750 feet out rebroadcastin the audio from TV Channel 9 in Orlando! This has been going on for at least 2 years. (Can also pick it up in the Burger King Parking lot adjacent to the shopping center).

Last edited:
Also said:
There is a Anytime Fitness Center in that location. A friend suggested that they may be running TV audio for people working out?

“There is a Anytime Fitness Center in that location. A friend suggested that they may be running TV audio for people working out“

I suspected that’s where it was coming from as I was getting the strongest signal when I parked in front of the fitness center.

WXIO is still on reduced power and the gates of Anchor Church and Ministries was open yesterday (very rare), so I drove in and I’m not sure what happened to the antenna that used to be on top of the n.w. corner of the complex but not only was it not there, I didn’t not see an antenna anywhere. There were storms and high winds very early yesterday morning and maybe the wind blow the antenna down and maybe it’s dangling on the side of the building I could not see.........but their signal is still getting out, but the music is very much in the background; you have to turn the volume up to max or near max to hear anything; in other word’s it’s not listenable, even in their parking lot. If I had seen anyone outside I would have asked the status.

Also on 92.7 as your LPFM was fading out not the way back to SP on I-75 your LPFM signal was weak and then eventually I was getting a strong signal from about the Hillsborough/Pasco county line south to a translator for 680AM. (Not sure what the current call letters are).

DRT: With regard to the translator for 680, not sure if you were referring its call-sign or our. Our is WLSL-LP. We are a victim of terrain with hills all over the place. But generally speaking the signal closely follows the predicted area. Thanks for the DX'ing.

With regards to WXIO, I tuned in only to hear dead air. But maybe it was what you were experiencing. Maybe I should have cranked up the audio. Yes, I did not see the antenna either so I suspect you're correct about the wind. Not sure who's "running the ship" there but they are in need of some help.

To be honest, I don’t think I was getting WLSL at all on I-75; let me rephrase that, I was getting something, but with the fluttering and fading in and out; I could not determine what is was........but as a approached the apex of I-275 and I-75 going south, I was hearing Spanish getting strong and stronger especially between Bearss down to Sligh Ave on I-275, so I tried matching it with 1550, no match , 1100 (thinking maybe they had a 2nd translater) no match and long story short; finally matched it to 680AM out of St Pete.

Now there is still the carrier on 10.27 WXIO but the extremely faint audio has completely disappeared and I just checked before I go back to SP and it’s still the same.

Now going to Dade City and Z-hills on Saturday I was receiving WLSL 92.7 from the apex of US 98 and US 301 down to a little south of Clinton Ave before there was severe fading and fluttering and another station started coming in. (Not strong enough to i.d., but strong enough to make WSLS completely unlistenable by the time I got to Z-hills.)

To be honest, I don’t think I was getting WLSL at all on I-75; let me rephrase that, I was getting something, but with the fluttering and fading in and out; I could not determine what is was........but as a approached the apex of I-275 and I-75 going south, I was hearing Spanish getting strong and stronger especially between Bearss down to Sligh Ave on I-275, so I tried matching it with 1550, no match , 1100 (thinking maybe they had a 2nd translater) no match and long story short; finally matched it to 680AM out of St Pete.

Now there is still the carrier on 10.27 WXIO but the extremely faint audio has completely disappeared and I just checked before I go back to SP and it’s still the same.

Now going to Dade City and Z-hills on Saturday I was receiving WLSL 92.7 from the apex of US 98 and US 301 down to a little south of Clinton Ave before there was severe fading and fluttering and another station started coming in. (Not strong enough to i.d., but strong enough to make WSLS completely unlistenable by the time I got to Z-hills.)

DRT: Yup. Listening to 102.7 yesterday no carrier again. Funny thing about cold weather. Yesterday WLSL listenable on 98 almost to SR 50. Solid into Z-Hills at Florida Medical Clinic near CR-54. Go figure. :)

Just a quick response before the big game; as of now (early Sunday PM) WXIO seems to be running full power but not getting out as far as usual; I don’t know where the antenna is; either inside the building or outside on the ground; cannot see the antenna when driving by; they have been off the air on and half and at one point, I thought I was getting them, but it was Z88.3(out of Orlando/Altamonte Springs) simulcasting on the 10.27 out of Leesburg/Lady Lake area. at one point they were on extremely reduced power where I was only able to receive them while directly in front of their gated complex.

I think I'll do a drive-by on the property to get a better look.

I think I'll do a drive-by on the property to get a better look.
the iron gates are closed and locked most of the time; I suppose if you call Anchor Ministries, they might let you know where the antenna is; the one day I did drive on the property, the gate was open and I drove in, but didn’t stay long, as I didn’t want to look suspicious; a good deal of the time, they have a sherfiff’s cruiser next to the building......don’t know if they’ve had vandalism or what the deal is on that; the nearby United Methodist and Lutheran churches aren’t gated and no visiable security. They are on the air now and I’m receiving them with all 5 signal bars, but then where I’m at is only .3 miles away from Anchor Ministries.

Also Saturday there seemed to be a problem for a while with their audio being distorted but several hours later that seem to have been fixed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom