• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1210 The Man

strangelove

Frequent Participant
Big O announced on his Facebook page today that he'll be doing 3p-6p on 1210 The Man WNMA starting in March. Judging by the press release it sounds like they'll attempt a something like a hot talk format on the station (and I suspect more than a few brokered shows.) I hope Orlando is successful but if history is any indication the erstwhile James Crystal Radio tried a similar format with Man Talk 640 and that lasted just over a year.

Talk, especially English speaking talk, in Miami traditionally doesn't do well in the market. I give this one a year, too.

Talk, especially English speaking talk, in Miami traditionally doesn't do well in the market. I give this one a year, too.

And 1210 does not have a good night signal in Broward where the "kind" of listeners that such a format might attract live.

And 1210 does not have a good night signal in Broward where the "kind" of listeners that such a format might attract live.
Sad but true. I tuned in on the Sawgrass near Coral Springs and it was WNMA vs Radio Reloj vs what I'm pretty sure was WPHT in Philly. I don't wish them any bad luck but they have their work cut out for them.

Sad but true. I tuned in on the Sawgrass near Coral Springs and it was WNMA vs Radio Reloj vs what I'm pretty sure was WPHT in Philly. I don't wish them any bad luck but they have their work cut out for them.

Wow are my eyes messed up 1210 English? How did this happen? They have been Spanish like forever! I'm probably one of the few here who remembers WOAH on 1220.

Agree on the talk format unless one has lowered expectations. WKAT did it for years, they probably had the longest run as a talk station in South Florida but those were different times.

When I think back to when I was in radio in the '70s doing overnights I had a captive audience. TV went off at 1am cable penetration was practically zero, and VCR's hadn't come out. Late at night if you couldn't sleep radio was about the only thing going!

Excellent question! Is there any space left on the FM dial?

Not sure if there's room for a new facility but they could always buy an existing one. Since the people running The Man are leasing the signal from MRB the owners of the station would have to handle applying for a translator and the LMA group could put up the money.

I just had a terrible flashback to "1210 The Man"..."The Lady on 1320". Only in South Florida! :)

The translator application windows are all over. If you didn't get one in 2016-18, you're out of luck now even if a channel were available, which it isn't.

...1210 does not have a good night signal in Broward...
Wheat, Oats, And Hay was originally a 250 watt daytimer on 1220.
They were the original constructors of the WOCN/WKAT/WQAM stick.
Originally, WLTO (Latino) on 1210 protected an FCC monitoring station in Davie, in the day.
Their CE was a strong proponent of were C-QAM stereo, and they were.
Now they only have to protect WPHT's huge skywave contour at night.

Last edited:
Wheat, Oats, And Hay was originally a 250 watt daytimer on 1220.
They were the original constructors of the WOCN/WKAT/WQAM stick.
Originally, WLTO (Latino) on 1210 protected an FCC monitoring station in Davie, in the day.
Their CE was a strong proponent of were C-QAM stereo, and they were.
Now they only have to protect WPHT's huge skywave contour at night.

There's a sticker for that, too!

I cannot remember their first names or which was on which, but I do remember that of WOAH and WGOS (the Wild Goose) FM country station,
one had a jock who used Day for his last name and the other had a jock who used (K?)Night. The only Wild Goose DJ that I remember was Cowgirl Connie,
though I believe that the correct term for a female who works in the breeding phase of the beaf industry is or was cowpoke.
WHMS(Hialeah-Miami Springs)<WQXK eventually became country on 92.1, became WCMQ, and merged with the station on 1220.

Last edited:
I cannot remember their first names or which was on which, but I do remember that of WOAH and WGOS (the Wild Goose) FM country station,
one had a jock who used Day for his last name and the other had a jock who used (K?)Night. The only Wild Goose DJ that I remember was Cowgirl Connie,
though I believe that the correct term for a female who works in the breeding phase of the beaf industry is or was cowpoke.
WHMS(Hialeah-Miami Springs)<WQXK eventually became country on 92.1, became WCMQ, and merged with the station on 1220.

Happy Harold was on WOAH, that's the one I remember from Wonderful Woah! Cowgirl Connie must have been on WGOS in the evening which is why I remember her. Plus a female on the air in those days was a bit unusual.

Thanks for that great link.
"And now I know...the rest of the story".
George Daye, and the guy on WOAH was Frank Knight.
So the cowgirl hooked up with the owner...impressive.

A friend of mine named Jan Loeb did late nights for a while on one of the stations,
I think it was the AM.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom