Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No More 1220 WQUN-AM

Is there any talk about selling the station? Seems like QU just wants to pull the plug and be done with it. They might be thinking there studio building and transmitter land are probably worth more the the station.

Quote Originally Posted by LouG View Post
    Is there any talk about selling the station? Seems like QU just wants to pull the plug and be done with it. They might be thinking there studio building and transmitter land are probably worth more the the station.
    A standalone AM with negligible nighttime power and no translator is practically worthless. There is little to no student interest in radio as a field of study or a potential career. The station programs music -- well-known commercial music of the rapidly fading past -- that is mainly 40 years older than the students -- or more -- and is never been an important community voice. I doubt the Register's editorial board (most papers have one, not just a lone-gunman individual sounding off in writing every day) listens to the station regularly, if at all.

So why shouldn't the university sell it for scrap, so to speak? New Haven, and Connecticut in general, are rich in college and community FM stations, and a widely listened-to network of public radio stations. Those stations offer discussion, opinion, cultural programming and a wide range of musical genres, things that WQUN, wallowing in feel-good nostalgia, seldom did. Its college sports programming, as a previous poster said, could easily go to the school's low power FM, WQAQ, or, as I speculated earlier, online. WPKN, WMNR and other noncommercial stations in the New Haven area all have regular specialty programs featuring old popular music. It's sad to see a station die, but honestly, there is no pressing need for this station as it now exists. Let it die and the proceeds from its dismantling help the university in its mission.

Very well written and sadly, very true. It's a station I listened to from LI as WDEE in my wanna-be-a-dj days long before I got my first job. A little bit of me dies along with the station.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatCallofTheNorthEast View Post
    It's a station I listened to from LI as WDEE in my wanna-be-a-dj days long before I got my first job.
    Here's a WDEE aircheck from 8/1/1967
    http://bill1820.com/radio/wdee-1220-aug-1-1967.mp3

Fybush.com has a southern CT heritage AM and land for sale. Couldn't find any info about it on the site wondering if it's WQUN

Fybush.com has a southern CT heritage AM and land for sale. Couldn't find any info about it on the site wondering if it's WQUN
    It would really be stretching it to call WQUN or any of the previous occupants of 1220 a "heritage AM."

It is, and I'm pleased to be working with the folks at QU to see what opportunities are out there to keep the signal going.

You'll see more about it in the weeks to come (and I'm delighted to talk with anyone with an interest in the station, of course!)
    All kinds of good stuff over at http://www.fybush.com

Hi guys.Sad to hear this news.Live and local station. and AM Stereo to boot.. Started to listen to WQUN more when WDRC went to the Whale years ago. And listen to it more when they picked up Casey's 1970's AT40 show.Now on Cool WNTY 990/96.1 too.

I will miss Brian and Mike show.A great team.They are very funny and entertaining.

Thanks Flybush for your update.I hope the station will stay on the air even with a new owner if possible.

I remember when I visited the station 40 years ago up on the hill when it was WCDQ.Also enjoyed the stations country music stint when it was WSCR back in the early 1980's.Now again 1220 maybe up for new set of call letters again .

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Flybush?
    Sorry.Typo...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast