• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No More 1220 WQUN-AM

It's a shame they did a decent job with old fashioned local radio. They never applied for a translator and now we know why they probably knew this for a while. Maybe it could be a possible landing spot for Kool radio.

When I came to Connecticut in the early '80s, 1220 Hamden was WSCR, running a mostly syndicated country format, although "Cadillac" John Saville had a regular show. It then became WNNR with an oldies/AC format. After that, I lost interest in the station until Quinnipiac took over. Until a few years back, WQUN was on the Red Sox radio network. Is it currently carrying Quinnipiac hockey and/or basketball? If it is, does the university have an online station as a fall-back for next season?

Is it currently carrying Quinnipiac hockey and/or basketball? If it is, does the university have an online station as a fall-back for next season?

There is also a LP FM station WQAQ that is student run. Perhaps they will air the sports.

The last thing Red Wolf/Full Power (Which is it, anyway???) wants is an AM without a translator.

Licenses say Red Wolf Broadcasting, but it's Full Power Radio. I've seen pictures of their old studios/offices in Glastonbury on Facebook and there is a sign that says Full Power Radio. https://fullpowerradio.com/

Anyway maybe sometime in the future there could be an opportunity to apply for a translator. Or maybe they can buy one. They bought several for Bomba-FM over the years.

When I came to Connecticut in the early '80s, 1220 Hamden was WSCR ... It then became WNNR with an oldies/AC format.

There were several other formats on the frequency, and I'm likely leaving out some. The station started as WDEE, but that was before my time. Until 1978, they were a pop station known as WCDQ amd Ken DeVoe was the Program Director.

I believe they were purchased by the owners of WPLR and tried a woman-oriented format at WOMN. That only lasted a few month before the station switched to rock as "PLR2." Sometime after that they went to a mostly satellite country format as WSCR (Suburban Country Radio).

I lost track of the station for some time, but I recall it was dark when Pete Salant put an oldies format on as Winner Radio, WNNR. Somewhere in the mix there was financial talk, and possibly Spanish before Quinnipiac purchased the station in the late 90s.

There were several other formats on the frequency, and I'm likely leaving out some. The station started as WDEE, but that was before my time. Until 1978, they were a pop station known as WCDQ amd Ken DeVoe was the Program Director.

I believe they were purchased by the owners of WPLR and tried a woman-oriented format at WOMN. That only lasted a few month before the station switched to rock as "PLR2." Sometime after that they went to a mostly satellite country format as WSCR (Suburban Country Radio).

I lost track of the station for some time, but I recall it was dark when Pete Salant put an oldies format on as Winner Radio, WNNR. Somewhere in the mix there was financial talk, and possibly Spanish before Quinnipiac purchased the station in the late 90s.

Yes they were Spanish as La X and they were the first station in the state to use the WXCT call letters. I believe that was the last format before Quinnipiac purchased the station. Steve Bryant, who later worked at QVC and later the now defunct Shop-at-Home Network was a host on 1220 in the late 80s, but I don't know what the calls were back then.

Is there any talk about selling the station? Seems like QU just wants to pull the plug and be done with it. They might be thinking there studio building and transmitter land are probably worth more the the station.

Is there any talk about selling the station? Seems like QU just wants to pull the plug and be done with it. They might be thinking there studio building and transmitter land are probably worth more the the station.

A standalone AM with negligible nighttime power and no translator is practically worthless. There is little to no student interest in radio as a field of study or a potential career. The station programs music -- well-known commercial music of the rapidly fading past -- that is mainly 40 years older than the students -- or more -- and is never been an important community voice. I doubt the Register's editorial board (most papers have one, not just a lone-gunman individual sounding off in writing every day) listens to the station regularly, if at all.

So why shouldn't the university sell it for scrap, so to speak? New Haven, and Connecticut in general, are rich in college and community FM stations, and a widely listened-to network of public radio stations. Those stations offer discussion, opinion, cultural programming and a wide range of musical genres, things that WQUN, wallowing in feel-good nostalgia, seldom did. Its college sports programming, as a previous poster said, could easily go to the school's low power FM, WQAQ, or, as I speculated earlier, online. WPKN, WMNR and other noncommercial stations in the New Haven area all have regular specialty programs featuring old popular music. It's sad to see a station die, but honestly, there is no pressing need for this station as it now exists. Let it die and the proceeds from its dismantling help the university in its mission.

Very well written and sadly, very true. It's a station I listened to from LI as WDEE in my wanna-be-a-dj days long before I got my first job. A little bit of me dies along with the station.

Fybush.com has a southern CT heritage AM and land for sale. Couldn't find any info about it on the site wondering if it's WQUN

Fybush.com has a southern CT heritage AM and land for sale. Couldn't find any info about it on the site wondering if it's WQUN

It would really be stretching it to call WQUN or any of the previous occupants of 1220 a "heritage AM."

It is, and I'm pleased to be working with the folks at QU to see what opportunities are out there to keep the signal going.

You'll see more about it in the weeks to come (and I'm delighted to talk with anyone with an interest in the station, of course!)

Hi guys.Sad to hear this news.Live and local station. and AM Stereo to boot.. Started to listen to WQUN more when WDRC went to the Whale years ago. And listen to it more when they picked up Casey's 1970's AT40 show.Now on Cool WNTY 990/96.1 too.

I will miss Brian and Mike show.A great team.They are very funny and entertaining.

Thanks Flybush for your update.I hope the station will stay on the air even with a new owner if possible.

I remember when I visited the station 40 years ago up on the hill when it was WCDQ.Also enjoyed the stations country music stint when it was WSCR back in the early 1980's.Now again 1220 maybe up for new set of call letters again .

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom