• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Car pro USA

Mrtejano

Star Participant
Is this program that good that it’s on 3 am in Houston? 560 am, 590 am and 610 am?

Is this program that good that it’s on 3 am in Houston? 560 am, 590 am and 610 am?

It's an infomercial. So the money is good. It has nothing to do with if the show is good. The check clears the bank, and all stations are aware that it's on multiple stations.

I think Houston is the only market where this happens, because the show is based in Houston.

560 and 590 are not Houston AMs... 560 KLVI is licensed to Beaumont, while 590 KLBJ is in Austin.

Car Pro airs simultaneously on 610 and 740 on Saturday at noon. Strange that 610, which just picked up the show a few months ago, chose to go head-to-head against 740. Strange that Car Pro doesn't mind screwing 740 by allowing 610 to simulcast at exactly the same day/time. In Dallas, WBAP and KRLD air the show several hours apart which makes sense. The 3am broadcast is just a secondary airing for the overnight red eye crowd.

Car Pro airs simultaneously on 610 and 740 on Saturday at noon. Strange that 610, which just picked up the show a few months ago, chose to go head-to-head against 740. Strange that Car Pro doesn't mind screwing 740 by allowing 610 to simulcast at exactly the same day/time. In Dallas, WBAP and KRLD air the show several hours apart which makes sense. The 3am broadcast is just a secondary airing for the overnight red eye crowd.

Well like you said earlier: "It's an infomercial. So the money is good. It has nothing to do with if the show is good. The check clears the bank, and all stations are aware that it's on multiple stations." You are absolutely right! The check clears the bank and that's all that matters. If you got the money, we got the time.

As far as the advertiser is concerned, the more stations they can be on at the same time, the better

Well like you said earlier: "It's an infomercial. So the money is good. It has nothing to do with if the show is good. The check clears the bank, and all stations are aware that it's on multiple stations." You are absolutely right! The check clears the bank and that's all that matters. If you got the money, we got the time.

As far as the advertiser is concerned, the more stations they can be on at the same time, the better

That's right. Lifestyles has a radio show on Sunday mornings at 9 on KNTH and KSEV. It's the same show. Like Gr8oldies said, the more the better.

There are only so many listeners at noon on Saturday, so 740 lost and 610 gained somewhat, so I don't get why 740 would fail to demand exclusivity since its listeners are being diluted by 610. There's a diminishing return for all parties by continuing to add more stations to broadcast the same show at the same time, otherwise we'd be hearing this show on every station simultaneously.

There are only so many listeners at noon on Saturday, so 740 lost and 610 gained somewhat, so I don't get why 740 would fail to demand exclusivity since its listeners are being diluted by 610.

You should ask that question of CarPro. They're the ones paying for the time. The station gets the same money if it's exclusive or not.

Think of Car Pro as an advertiser. You sure wouldn't tell a business you'd only take their check if they did not buy ads on any other stations in Houston at the same time. The comparison is identical. Car Pro buys hours. Commercials are sold mostly as 60 second units. Whether by the hour or minute, the buyer pays the rate and gets played regardless.

Think of Car Pro as an advertiser. You sure wouldn't tell a business you'd only take their check if they did not buy ads on any other stations in Houston at the same time. The comparison is identical. Car Pro buys hours. Commercials are sold mostly as 60 second units. Whether by the hour or minute, the buyer pays the rate and gets played regardless.

Back in the 70s, there was a car dealer in Phoenix who bought 5 minute blocks at the same time on various stations. The strings would fade in and the announcer would intone "Now, let's take five with Lou Grubb from Lou Grubb Chevrolet" and the guy would tell a story for 5 minutes and work in a quick plug for his dealership at the end.

Yes, your station just ground to a halt for 5 minutes - but the money was so good that few stations ever turned it down. Also, if the other stations took the same buy scheduled at the same time, where will the audience flip to?

Same thing applies here. Saturday or Sunday mornings aren't what you'd call a prime-rated daypart, and even if Car Pro bought 10 stations in the market at the same time, you just made more money during that hour than you would have playing the best of Michael Berry. You take the money every time.

It's an infomercial. So the money is good. It has nothing to do with if the show is good. The check clears the bank, and all stations are aware that it's on multiple stations.

I think Houston is the only market where this happens, because the show is based in Houston.

@TheBigA: You really shouldn't make statements about things you know nothing about. My show is NOT paid programming and it is certainly not an infomercial. If the show wasn't good, i doubt it would have grown to every major market in Texas, KNX Los Angeles, to Sacramento, Cleveland, Detroit, San Francisco, and the list goes on.

Just to be clear, the Car Pro Show is NOT paid programming in Houston.

Thanks Jerry, What's the point of simulcasting in Houston on KTRH and KILT, as it dilutes the listeners on KTRH -- seems like a dis-service to the original outlet, KTRH. Nowhere else in the entire U.S is that done -- Dallas has separate broadcasts by a few hours to maximize overall listeners (WBAP on Saturday morning & KRLD Saturday afternoon). Also, if the Car Pro Show is not paid programming, what should it be called? Thanks -- love the show!

Thanks Jerry, What's the point of simulcasting in Houston on KTRH and KILT, as it dilutes the listeners on KTRH -- seems like a dis-service to the original outlet, KTRH. Nowhere else in the entire U.S is that done -- Dallas has separate broadcasts by a few hours to maximize overall listeners (WBAP on Saturday morning & KRLD Saturday afternoon). Also, if the Car Pro Show is not paid programming, what should it be called? Thanks -- love the show!

@ThatVoice22: My thinking was all-news versus all-sports are two totally different audiences that just happen to be in the same market. And why would I turn down either station if they both want to carry the show? I might be wrong, but paid-programming is I write a check to a radio station for their block of time. I receive checks, I don't write them, so I'd call it what it is: an Auto Advice Show. Thanks for listening when you can.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom