• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WLNG does the Tighten Up

Heard at 8:27 tonight: Boot Scootin' Boogie -- Brooks & Dunn. I don't recall this being a crossover hit, at least not here in Connecticut. Any other hot country tracks of the '90s country boom getting played on LNG under its new management?

A few. "It's 5 O'clock Somewhere" shows up occasionally. And the B&D remake of "My Maria". But they're in New Year's Eve mode tonite and "Boot Scoot" is probably, in their way of thinking, a "party" song.

More notable tonite has been the absence of Scotty Hart.

A few. "It's 5 O'clock Somewhere" shows up occasionally. And the B&D remake of "My Maria". But they're in New Year's Eve mode tonite and "Boot Scoot" is probably, in their way of thinking, a "party" song.

It is, just not on an oldies/classic hits station on Long Island. But any station that would play B&D's "My Maria" instead of B.W. Stevenson's gets a tip of the ten-gallon hat from me. Ronnie Dunn sings the hair off that song and the guitar solo toward the end is tasty, too.

Scotty is no longer on the staff page and no longer on the schedule. Replaced with someone named Selina...

Scotty has left of his own accord, we're told -- he's tired and needs a break. Selena has been there for awhile, splitting the evening shifts with Bill Evans. Her Sat nite show will be a Delilah-type thing, it appears.

But today they started running a promo: "A new but VERY familiar voice is coming to WLNG!" Your guess is as good as mine...

Meanwhile a thread wishing Scotty well on the NYRMB was deleted by a certain dentist.

Scotty has left of his own accord, we're told -- he's tired and needs a break.

I'm sure having to clean up all the doggie poo that Bill and Sandra's dog leaves behind in the studio can get tiring. :rolleyes:

But seriously, it seems a little funny that he up and left that suddenly. Did he make an announcement on his show?

What's even funnier is that Weatherman posted all these pictures of Scotty's "farewell party" on facebook, and Scotty wasn't even there. The Bill-and-Sandra-hating conspiracy theorist in me suspects he was probably bothered by being shoved into a late evening Friday-Saturday-Sunday shift and decided to quit. Or, maybe he was tired. Or sick and tired of Bill and Sandra and the direction they were taking the station. Despite the Physical Therapist saying the station wasn't changing much. :rolleyes:

Selena has been there for awhile, splitting the evening shifts with Bill Evans. Her Sat nite show will be a Delilah-type thing, it appears.

hih.jpg

But today they started running a promo: "A new but VERY familiar voice is coming to WLNG!" Your guess is as good as mine...

Maybe it's their dog?

Meanwhile a thread wishing Scotty well on the NYRMB was deleted by a certain dentist.

Yeah, anytime someone mentions 'LNG on his board, dentist man gets his little panties in a bunch and starts chasing people around with his dentist drill.

Last edited:
Scotty leaves

WHY did the dentist take down the post??

BTW I think Scotty left because you could no longer do what you wanted, you have a certain way of working and that's what you're used to doing, this new management wanted something different. You can't have fun anymore it's all about business, you know like the rest of radio! :rolleyes:

Anthony Famiglietti is the familiar voice (formerly of WEHM+WEHN until October 2019) who will be on nights from 6pm - Midnight.

Explaining my departure from WLNG.

As many of us have, I've lived through several station sales and restructuring, and they have never been good because there's ALWAYS a new owner who thinks they can do it better. I knew that scenario would be a possibility at WLNG when they finally made the sale, but I wasn't prepared for the train wreck that took place. When it happened I started getting phone calls, E-Mails and texts all asking pretty much the same question.....what the hell is going on over there? Listeners asking me why the audio sounds so flat. What happened to the jingles? What happened to the news? Since the decisions to change things weren't mine, I wasn't going to offer any explanations except "I had nothing to do with it."

Every Saturday I would do my show with the nagging question "when is the nonsense going to catch up with me?" in the back of my mind. After hearing the dreadful changes I knew it wouldn't be long before the new owner's personal interpretation of "oldies" would have a major effect. Sure enough, I was informed that my show, Sock Hop Saturday Night, which started on April 2, 1994 on WICC in Bridgeport, and had been a fixture on WLNG, would now be shortened from 4 to 2 hours, and that they were looking for some dark, dank, portion of the Sunday night schedule to stick me and my 2 hours into. And I knew exactly where this new idea and directive came from.

Since I joined WLNG in March of 2004, we had nothing but a positive relationship between myself and my fellow station mates. I loved my job, and how often can you hear someone honestly make that claim? I deeply respected everyone I worked with, and that respect was always mutual. So when I got the word that my 15 year experience at the station meant absolutely nothing now, it was clear this decision was not the work of those I had respected and worked with for so many years.

This kind of boot of a jock into the wilderness is not how a 27 year veteran is to be handled. This is what you do to the new board op who seems he can't handle the spot loads. Agitated, I took some time to consider all the angles. At my age, did I really want to go through with this arrangement? Apparently my talents were pretty close to worthless with the new owner. Probably after a month I'm sure the show would have been cancelled altogether anyway at this rate. I figured it was time to retire from broadcasting. I wrote up a lengthy letter of resignation, explaining my reasoning and my thoughts on the way the new owner was guiding the ship, the changes, the complaints, etc and sent it to Gary Sapiane. I also CC'd it to the new owner. I felt they both deserved to know how I felt, although I did make it very clear that I knew the reasons for the changes were out of Gary's hands, and I thanked him for his friendship and support during my years there.

However, things unexpectedly happened in a single day with phone calls and E-mails, and in just 24 hours my show found a new home at WPPB 88.3 FM......4 hours as before, and with the freedom to continue the show in the same manner I have been doing for nearly 26 years.

So for anyone who may have been wondering what happened to cause my sudden and unannounced departure from WLNG, here you have it. Scotty Hart had Emailed me right after my show was gone, wishing me the best in the future, and I wished him likewise. I know that Scotty is now also departed from WLNG, but I have no information as to why or what happened. But, based on my experience in the last couple months of my job there, nothing would surprise me.

Mark Edwards
Sock Hop Saturday Night.

Well, there you have it. Mark's story is another layer of a disgusting film that has formed over what was once a shining jewel of a radio station.

I know that Scotty is now also departed from WLNG, but I have no information as to why or what happened. But, based on my experience in the last couple months of my job there, nothing would surprise me.

And considering how unbelievably creepy, gaudy, and tacky it was to have Scotty's "goodbye" party on facebook - WITHOUT him there - confirms how utterly obtuse the Physical Therapist and the Weather man really are. I mean, they are the poster children of Upper Class East Hampton elite obliviousness, and are - as people - appealing as stale dog vomit.

Look, maybe Scotty wanted it that way, but even so, that was just plain icky. Who does that?

WLNG: A Dog Puke on the Floor Radio station.

Mark, your show sounds better than ever... If that is any consolation.

Last edited:
As of this morning 101.5 has moved to 105.1 and is broadcasting WKCE mid century radio. I believe it is broadcasting from the same location at the same power in Sevier County as 97.1 previously broadcasted. It seems to be strongest in the places that the original 97m1 was. At that location, it shouldn't be much of a problem for 104.9 and 105.1. I may be wrong. If anybody knows where it's coming from, let me know. Radio locator doesn't have it updated.

Ignore what I just posted unrelated to this thread. I got redirected after I logged in and was meaning to post on a Knoxville thread. My apologies.

A sincere THANK YOU...

....for the kind words about the show on WPPB. There have been some technical issues for the past couple weeks or so, but I believe they have all be rectified and we're back on track! Thanks again.

Mark Edwards.

Hi folks. I joined this board specifically to find out what happened to Scotty on LNG. I Think I have seen read all the appropriate posts but does anyone know if he is appearing on radio anywhere else? A great talent and Saturday nights are not the same even here in the UK :)

This particular mom and pop seem to be quite sensitive to criticism and are continually walking back the changes they made at the start of the month. Right now, it seems like the only two major changes that have stuck are the elimination of the obituaries (They're now being posted online instead.) and the introduction of more '80s and even '90s titles into the music mix while still retaining older songs, just not slotting as many plays per hour for them.

Management's (not sure if it was Mom or Pop) latest response to a Facebook poster who complained that the music wasn't the same was to tell him -- twice -- that the DJs were "still playing their own music." Is this absolutely true? The DJs have been making their own playlists all these years? Then how can the sudden addition of so many new songs at the beginning of the year, by the same DJs who weren't playing those songs three weeks ago, be explained? Suddenly, the whole staff decides that "Opposites Attract" and "Whoomp! There it Is!" were great songs and ought to be played on WLNG?

With new talent you have new ideas. If talent is 40-50 years old (or younger) and they play their own music it would make sense why they are playing Paula Abdul and Tag Team. With that said, if billing and ratings were great the PD should of said to the new announcers, you can play a fluid rotation, but only what is in the studio or playout system. Some has added those titles, or are now allowed. I would direct the question to the PD or the new owner if he said it was okay to add some newer titles.

I've seen this happen countless times. Some owners ignored the backlash. A good example was NASH© branding. Morning teams with great ratings and revenue we moved to afternoon slots replaced with syndicated fare or let go, and it didn't work out. Many of those stations have gone back to branding they had for decades, but the ratings damage had already been done.

Change is good and listeners get older. For a sucessful legendary station, the changes have to be slow and gradual. Many classic hits stations are doing this now. Yes there will be complaints, but overall ratings and revenue will not be impacted if done correctly.

I don't think Earth Angel (a great song) will be relevant on WLNG a decade from now), but I could be wrong. WLNG has been unique. There are a handful of stations that go against the trend.

In the case of LNG and I was the new owner, I would of left well enough alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Earth Angel (a great song) will be relevant on WLNG a decade from now), but I could be wrong.

I'm 65 and that moldy oldie isn't relevant to ME! I was 8 when the Beatles appeared on Sullivan. That's when I started listening to Top 40 radio. Relevance started that February. I'm shocked that doo-wop era stuff is still being played, especially now that the '80s and '90s are in the mix. You're not going to get a whole lot of Duran Duran and Janet Jackson fans to agree that "Earth Angel" is a great song, or even a tolerable one.

It is worth noting that 'LNG has been doing a terrific job during Shelter-in-Place, connecting with listeners by playing requests regardless of whether they're in the computer -- no listener suggestion has been too far out to get played, deep deep album cuts and so forth. Giving the people what they want, it would appear.

I'm 65 and that moldy oldie isn't relevant to ME! I was 8 when the Beatles appeared on Sullivan. That's when I started listening to Top 40 radio. Relevance started that February. I'm shocked that doo-wop era stuff is still being played, especially now that the '80s and '90s are in the mix. You're not going to get a whole lot of Duran Duran and Janet Jackson fans to agree that "Earth Angel" is a great song, or even a tolerable one.

Agreed. Well said.

Their online playlist shows that their library is all over the place. https://onlineradiobox.com/us/wlng/playlist/

I even heard them play "The Unicorn" by The Irish Rovers (the original version that was a chart hit in the 60s) on December 30, 2018. That was probably the song I've been most pleasantly surprised to hear on WLNG recently. Only station I've ever heard play it on a day other than St. Patrick's Day.

They are mixing in some late 90s/early 2000s songs as well. Heard Sunday Morning by Maroon 5 a few weekends ago. Also Mambo #5.

Charlie Daniels, of course, sadly passed away earlier this month. So thought I'd share a WLNG radio memory related to that. In March of 2019, when tuning in from Connecticut I heard WLNG play his "other song," Uneasy Rider- which is usually not a song that FM radio stations play very often. So that was a surprise. The Music Choice 70's channel on cable plays it every once in a while as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom