Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WLNG does the Tighten Up

WLNG is a case of a heritage station that has had the same advertisers for many years, the same announcers, the echo, etc. The billing was there and the loyal listener base. With today's access to social media it only takes a few who dislike the changes to create a PR nightmare. This is what is taking place.
    WLYB FM
    96.3 Demopolis AL.
    100.5 Meridian Mississippi.

WRYC FM
    92.5 Frisco City/Monroeville

Quote Originally Posted by Groove1670 View Post
    WLNG is a case of a heritage station that has had the same advertisers for many years, the same announcers, the echo, etc. The billing was there and the loyal listener base. With today's access to social media it only takes a few who dislike the changes to create a PR nightmare. This is what is taking place.
    Making matters worse, I was listening to WLNG's stream over on Tunein and guess what I heard? "Quit Playing Games with My Heart" by the Backstreet Boys! Kinda weird to hear an oldies station plays this type of music. Afterwards, guess which song did they play after the Backstreet Boys? You've guess it, it's "We Can Fly" from the Cowsills, a song that came out in '68!

So man! They have a weird playlist. Sounds like this IS the station that caters to all generations!

Either a station that is now with no identity or a lost identity.
    Former Radio DJ (25 years)
    Current: Full-Time Wedding & Event DJ Entertainer (22 years and counting )
    John Gallagher Wedding & Special Event Entertainment

So does anyone here know what the effect has been on WLNG's advertiser base? Seems that Facebook outrage is all that people are basing their speculation on, so what if the station is actually gaining advertisers by tightening up its presentation and introducing later music into the mix?

From what I heard on NYRMB back in February, WLNG reversed some of the changes they made, due to backlash from advertisers.

There's a huge discussion about WLNG and their new ownership here:

https://nyrmb.com/messages/447854.html

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    So does anyone here know what the effect has been on WLNG's advertiser base? Seems that Facebook outrage is all that people are basing their speculation on, so what if the station is actually gaining advertisers by tightening up its presentation and introducing later music into the mix?
    Believe me, it goes beyond FaceBook outrage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123