• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KABG seeks move to Sandia crest

AbqAnonymous

Frequent Participant
AGM continues to reap the benefits of it's 2017 purchase as it has filed to move the broadcast of 98.5 to the site of KIOT atop Sandia crest which will certainly give it a more powerful signal in metro area. However it will run at 13.8 kW which is less than most other crest stations that typically run at about 22 kW, though it won't really be noticeable to anyone listening. This apparently will be to keep it's signal from covering the broadcast site of KBAC near Las Vegas. Of course the new signal would also improve coverage south of Albuquerque and might effect KBNM-LP in Belen at 98.7. It could also weaken the signal in the licensed area of Los Alamos although it will still be within the main signal contour.

The application is here: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...xt=25&appn=101797467&formid=301&fac_num=44000

It could also weaken the signal in the licensed area of Los Alamos although it will still be within the main signal contour.

Since Los Alamos is not part of the Albuquerque Nielsen MSA, they likely don't care about loss in that direction.

Big 98.5 has a huge signal, especially to the north. I've picked it up as far as Raton, Gallup, and Tucumcari. So why downgrade the signal?

Big 98.5 has a huge signal, especially to the north. I've picked it up as far as Raton, Gallup, and Tucumcari. So why downgrade the signal?

Re read what David said... areas where it has a big signal aren't part of the ABQ Nielsen Market Survey Area, so listeners and signal out there don't matter as much

I looked at the application, but does anyone have any real world experience receiving the current Sandia-based stations in Los Alamos? Is reception reliable?

After nine months it is now a construction permit! This will be the new coverages area: https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=KABG&service=FM&s=C

So now it is a question of when they move it. They have until September 2022. I have not been up to Los Alamos in a long time but the crest stations do come in pretty well at least on a car radio just as the stations broadcasting near Los Alamos including the current 98.5 signal reach Albuquerque well enough. It will be the first station to move to the crest since 90.7 a decade ago. Not sure if any other stations could move there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom