• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Love 105 Minneapolis - More Adventurous Soft AC?

Gregg.

Star Participant
I'm listening to Love 105, one of the dozen or so Soft AC stations now in large North American markets. It's the only one owned by Cumulus, debuting a few days after Christmas. And I think it has a more adventurous play list. Here's what was played on Love 105 between 8pm and 9:30 this evening, Central Time, while using the syndicated John Tesh Intelligence for Your Life Show...

Chuck Mangione--Feels So Good
Edward Bear--The Last Song
The Pointer Singers--He's So Shy
10cc--The Things We Do for Love
Jim Croce--I'll Have to Say I Love You in A Song
Howard Jones--No One Is to Blame
The Beatles--Let It Be
Chicago--Hard to Say I'm Sorry
The BeeGees--More Than A Woman
Marc Cohn--Walking in Memphis
Crystal Gayle--Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue?
Olivia Newton-John--Suddenly
Eric Carmen--All By Myself
Whitney Houston--I Want to Dance with Somebody
Art Garfunkle--All I Know
Michael Johnson--Almost Like Being in Love

I think this sounds good. But it is a bit older and softer than the Cox, iHeart and Entercom Soft AC stations. I'm not sure they play the Beatles or BeeGees much due to their age. And I guess you wouldn't find the Chuck Mangione, Art Garfunkle, Michael Johnson, Crystal Gayle and Edward Bear songs, even though I like them. They might be deemed too soft and a bit unfamiliar.

Love 105 is actually three FM signals at 105.1, 105.3 and 105.7, each powered at between 1,000 and 25,000 watts, competing with mostly 100,000 watt stations in the Twin Cities market. So if this station can gain at least middle-of-the-pack ratings, it will be a success.

I took a look at their online playlist a few days ago, Definitely some interesting titles there. Will their library be a benchmark for future Cumulus 'Breeze' stations?

I'm listening to Love 105, one of the dozen or so Soft AC stations now in large North American markets. It's the only one owned by Cumulus, debuting a few days after Christmas. And I think it has a more adventurous play list. Here's what was played on Love 105 between 8pm and 9:30 this evening, Central Time, while using the syndicated John Tesh Intelligence for Your Life Show...

Chuck Mangione--Feels So Good
Edward Bear--The Last Song
The Pointer Singers--He's So Shy
10cc--The Things We Do for Love
Jim Croce--I'll Have to Say I Love You in A Song
Howard Jones--No One Is to Blame
The Beatles--Let It Be
Chicago--Hard to Say I'm Sorry
The BeeGees--More Than A Woman
Marc Cohn--Walking in Memphis
Crystal Gayle--Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue?
Olivia Newton-John--Suddenly
Eric Carmen--All By Myself
Whitney Houston--I Want to Dance with Somebody
Art Garfunkle--All I Know
Michael Johnson--Almost Like Being in Love

I think this sounds good. But it is a bit older and softer than the Cox, iHeart and Entercom Soft AC stations. I'm not sure they play the Beatles or BeeGees much due to their age. And I guess you wouldn't find the Chuck Mangione, Art Garfunkle, Michael Johnson, Crystal Gayle and Edward Bear songs, even though I like them.

I don't think I've heard "Suddenly" on any station for at least 20 years, "All I Know" for at least 30. I would imagine those songs will be the first to fall by the wayside if the idea is to throw stuff at the wall and sweep up what doesn't stick as a way to tighten up the playlist on the fly.

I don't think I've heard "Suddenly" on any station for at least 20 years, "All I Know" for at least 30. I would imagine those songs will be the first to fall by the wayside if the idea is to throw stuff at the wall and sweep up what doesn't stick as a way to tighten up the playlist on the fly.

I agree...when I saw "Suddenly," I thought Billy Ocean. I'd play THAT song in this format. Not ONJ. That song by her was not really a hit. Not compared to Magic.

I agree...when I saw "Suddenly," I thought Billy Ocean. I'd play THAT song in this format. Not ONJ. That song by her was not really a hit. Not compared to Magic.

It came out between two much bigger singles of hers -- "Xanadu" and "Physical." Hit No. 4 AC, but not big at CHR in 1980, a year in which AC crossovers were still doing well. It's one of those big AC hits that I find myself humming along with at the supermarket but never hear on the radio. Vanessa Williams' "Colors of the Wind" is another. So far, I have yet to hear it on The Breeze here (WWYZ HD2).

Last edited:
Still, the Billy Ocean song was a 2 week #1 on the AC chart. MUCH bigger hit. Billy doesn't get much respect today.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's a scheduling mistake.

Not with all those other oddities on the playlist. If you toss out the '80s and '90s titles, this station would sound just like the original CBS soft-rock stations of the '70s (WEEI-FM, WMGK, etc.) Those stations played Garfunkel, Michael Johnson, etc. a lot. Either Cumulus thinks these songs stand up today or a local programmer is going out on a limb.

Either Cumulus thinks these songs stand up today or a local programmer is going out on a limb.

I would wonder how old some of those programmers are. How familiar are they with the music they're scheduling?

I wouldn't assume they're actually in the demo of this format.

I would wonder how old some of those programmers are. How familiar are they with the music they're scheduling?

I wouldn't assume they're actually in the demo of this format.

Betcha By Golly Wow -- The Stylistics
She's Not There -- The Zombies
Sweet Surrender -- Bread
Rich Girl -- Hall and Oates
Love Is Blue -- Paul Mauriat
I Love You -- Climax Blues Band
Throwing It All Away -- Genesis
The One You Love -- Glenn Frey
Guilty -- Barbra Streisand and Barry Gibb
Sunshine on My Shoulders -- John Denver

All played within the past two hours! No "You Light Up My Life" or "Muskrat Love" yet, but neither would surprise me. These guys have obviously decided to swim against the prevailing Soft AC current. Could any research be behind a playlist like this? I mean, if you're going to play Bread and Glenn Frey, why on earth would you choose THOSE songs?

Betcha By Golly Wow -- The Stylistics
She's Not There -- The Zombies
Sweet Surrender -- Bread
Rich Girl -- Hall and Oates
Love Is Blue -- Paul Mauriat
I Love You -- Climax Blues Band
Throwing It All Away -- Genesis
The One You Love -- Glenn Frey
Guilty -- Barbra Streisand and Barry Gibb
Sunshine on My Shoulders -- John Denver

All played within the past two hours! No "You Light Up My Life" or "Muskrat Love" yet, but neither would surprise me. These guys have obviously decided to swim against the prevailing Soft AC current. Could any research be behind a playlist like this? I mean, if you're going to play Bread and Glenn Frey, why on earth would you choose THOSE songs?

This is more like the MeTV FM in Chicago than the first bunch of Miami/Seattle/SD/SF/Tampa soft AC stations. It is obviously much older, and is sort of an "Oldies AC" format. It's early 70's chicken rock brought back to life, but with the strange idea that "more is better" by the playing of cuts you would not name as the primary ones of certain artists.

Remembering that this is essentially an amalgamation of rimshots, perhaps they feel that there is a market in direct, non-agency sales for an older leaning station. The problem is that in some ways this is not old, it is geriatric. Love is Blue... really?

Love 105 is a Cumulus station. Is this going to be a standard soft a/c playlist for them company wide? It's like a modern day Music Of Your Life.

I've heard Jay Philpott is doing the programming.
If that is correct it will be interesting how well will it do and how long will they let him continue with this blend...

Love is Blue... really?

Probably about 10 years ago, Love Is Blue came back in the music test at the Oldies station I was at as playable.

I introed it once saying "Right this moment, an elevator is opening its doors right now."

I probably played all of these songs (except for Mauriat) at AC at some point in my career. I can imagine them testing, but only if you're testing 55+.

Everybody keeps saying that we shouldn't ignore the spending power of Baby Boomers. I guess we're about to find out if they're right.

Jay Philpott is certainly no rookie PD so they must be doing continuous testing. Have any odd songs dropped from the playlist yet?

Weren't some of these older, easy titles played on the Dove in Tampa 10 years ago? (Bread, Michael Johnson etc.)?

Weren't some of these older, easy titles played on the Dove in Tampa 10 years ago? (Bread, Michael Johnson etc.)?

About 8 Bread titles were on the 2009 list, and one Michael Johnson...

It is worth noting that WDUV was 15th in 25-54 back then, and now, with a list similar to WFEZ in Miami, they now average #1 in the demo.

Here are the top 100 spins from January, 2009.

Sedaka, Neil Laughter In The Rain
Hill, Dan Sometimes When We Touch
Hollies The Air That I Breathe
Chicago Colour My World
Three Dog Night One
McLean, Don Vincent
Stylistics Betcha By Golly, Wow
Eagles Take It Easy
Denver, John Fly Away
Lettermen Goin' Out Of My Head/Can't Take My Eyes Off You
Gayle, Crystal Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue
Harrison, George My Sweet Lord
Puckett, Gary & The Union Gap Over You
Simon, Carly Nobody Does It Better
Byrds Mr. Tambourine Man
Gibb, Andy I Just Want To Be Your Everything
Simon & Garfunkel Homeward Bound
Manhattans Kiss And Say Goodbye
Stafford, Terry Suspicion
Spinners I'll Be Around
Manilow, Barry Can't Smile Without You
Nilsson Without You
Zombies Time Of The Season
Simon, Carly Haven't Got Time For The Pain
Humperdinck, Engelbert Release Me/Gotta Get Release
Chi-Lites Have You Seen Her
Milsap, Ronnie It Was Almost Like A Song
England, Dan & John Ford Coley I'd Really Love To See You Tonight
Milsap, Ronnie Smoky Mountain Rain
Connick, Harry Jr. It Had To Be You
Guthrie, Arlo City Of New Orleans
Eagles Take It To The Limit
Campbell, Glen By The Time I Get To Phoenix
Buffett, Jimmy Come Monday
Warwick, Dionne Deja Vu
Bee Gees How Deep Is Your Love
Beach Boys Wouldn't It Be Nice
Rivers, Johnny Swayin' To The Music (Slow Dancin')
Flack, Roberta Feel Like Makin' Love
Journey Open Arms
Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds Fallin' In Love
Green, Al Let's Stay Together
Seals & Crofts Get Closer
America Daisy Jane
Ross, Diana Touch Me In The Morning
King, Carole It's Too Late
Loggins & Messina Danny's Song
Dave Clark Five Because
Dion Abraham, Martin And John
Taylor, James Fire And Rain
Classics IV Feat. Dennis Yost Stormy
Denver, John Sunshine On My Shoulders
Ross, Diana Theme From Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)
Heatwave Always And Forever
King, Ben E. Spanish Harlem
Gerry & The Pacemakers Ferry Cross The Mersey
Joel, Billy She's Always A Woman
Carmen, Eric All By Myself
Byrds Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season)
Johnson, Michael This Night Won't Last Forever
Croce, Jim I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song
Jay & The Americans This Magic Moment
Fleetwood Mac Dreams
Soul, David Don't Give Up On Us
John, Elton Your Song
Eagles Best Of My Love
Lobo I'd Love You To Want Me
Coolidge, Rita (Your Love Has Lifted Me) Higher And Higher
Denver, John Rocky Mountain High
Manilow, Barry I Write The Songs
Vanwarmer, Randy Just When I Needed You Most
Buckinghams Kind Of A Drag
Stylistics I'm Stone In Love With You
Taste of Honey Sukiyaki
Nilsson Everybody's Talkin'
Taylor, James Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight
Flack, Roberta Killing Me Softly With His Song
Seals & Crofts Summer Breeze
Fogelberg, Dan Longer
McKenzie, Scott San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair)
Everly Brothers All I Have To Do Is Dream
Flack, Roberta The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Drifters On Broadway
Hebb, Bobby Sunny
Genesis In Too Deep
Ambrosia You're The Only Woman (You & I)
Newton, Juice Break It To Me Gently
Murray, Anne Could I Have This Dance
Beach Boys God Only Knows
Air Supply Lost In Love
Buffett, Jimmy Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes
Nelson, Rick Garden Party
Rascals A Beautiful Morning
Firefall Just Remember I Love You
Bee Gees How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
America Ventura Highway
Higgins, Bertie Key Largo
Lennon, John Imagine
Creedence Clearwater Revival Have You Ever Seen The Rain

Jay Philpott is certainly no rookie PD so they must be doing continuous testing. Have any odd songs dropped from the playlist yet?

Nope. Latest "last songs played" include "One Less Bell to Answer," "The Love You Save," "Knock Three Times," "How Much I Feel," "You Are So Beautiful" and another oh-wow deep hit from Bread, "Diary." Other left-field hits from more recent artists include Taylor Dayne's "Love Will Lead You Back" and Roxette's "It Must Have Been Love."

Other left-field hits from more recent artists include Taylor Dayne's "Love Will Lead You Back" and Roxette's "It Must Have Been Love."

I wouldn't consider either of those songs left-field hits. Both songs are 1990-ish, so you could probably get them to test for any AC if you weren't ruling it out for tempo.

Now if you told me they played Joyride or Fading Like A Flower, I'd ask WTF. But It Must Have Been Love is right up there with The Look among Roxette songs that people would still remember and like.

I wouldn't consider either of those songs left-field hits. Both songs are 1990-ish, so you could probably get them to test for any AC if you weren't ruling it out for tempo.

Now if you told me they played Joyride or Fading Like A Flower, I'd ask WTF. But It Must Have Been Love is right up there with The Look among Roxette songs that people would still remember and like.

But most ACs are only playing "The Look" as if it were Roxette's only hit, aren't they? It's the only track of hers that classic hits stations seem to be adding as they dip into the '90s.

Anyway, I listened for a couple of hours this morning and checked the playlist for the previous six hours. Looks like the mid-'60s titles like "Love Is Blue" and "She's Not There" have been dropped, nothing earlier than 1969 noted, and only one song from that year, still far more early '70s than today's classic hits stations will play.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom