Thread: Love 105 Minneapolis - More Adventurous Soft AC?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Love 105 Minneapolis - More Adventurous Soft AC?

I'm listening to Love 105, one of the dozen or so Soft AC stations now in large North American markets. It's the only one owned by Cumulus, debuting a few days after Christmas. And I think it has a more adventurous play list. Here's what was played on Love 105 between 8pm and 9:30 this evening, Central Time, while using the syndicated John Tesh Intelligence for Your Life Show...

Chuck Mangione--Feels So Good
    Edward Bear--The Last Song
    The Pointer Singers--He's So Shy
    10cc--The Things We Do for Love
    Jim Croce--I'll Have to Say I Love You in A Song
    Howard Jones--No One Is to Blame
    The Beatles--Let It Be
    Chicago--Hard to Say I'm Sorry
    The BeeGees--More Than A Woman
    Marc Cohn--Walking in Memphis
    Crystal Gayle--Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue?
    Olivia Newton-John--Suddenly
    Eric Carmen--All By Myself
    Whitney Houston--I Want to Dance with Somebody
    Art Garfunkle--All I Know
    Michael Johnson--Almost Like Being in Love

I think this sounds good. But it is a bit older and softer than the Cox, iHeart and Entercom Soft AC stations. I'm not sure they play the Beatles or BeeGees much due to their age. And I guess you wouldn't find the Chuck Mangione, Art Garfunkle, Michael Johnson, Crystal Gayle and Edward Bear songs, even though I like them. They might be deemed too soft and a bit unfamiliar.

Love 105 is actually three FM signals at 105.1, 105.3 and 105.7, each powered at between 1,000 and 25,000 watts, competing with mostly 100,000 watt stations in the Twin Cities market. So if this station can gain at least middle-of-the-pack ratings, it will be a success.

I took a look at their online playlist a few days ago, Definitely some interesting titles there. Will their library be a benchmark for future Cumulus 'Breeze' stations?
    Former Radio DJ (25 years)
    Current: Full-Time Wedding & Event DJ Entertainer (22 years and counting )
    John Gallagher Wedding & Special Event Entertainment

Who is programming the station?
    I know the last Love 105 PD left several years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg. View Post
    I'm listening to Love 105, one of the dozen or so Soft AC stations now in large North American markets. It's the only one owned by Cumulus, debuting a few days after Christmas. And I think it has a more adventurous play list. Here's what was played on Love 105 between 8pm and 9:30 this evening, Central Time, while using the syndicated John Tesh Intelligence for Your Life Show...

Chuck Mangione--Feels So Good
    Edward Bear--The Last Song
    The Pointer Singers--He's So Shy
    10cc--The Things We Do for Love
    Jim Croce--I'll Have to Say I Love You in A Song
    Howard Jones--No One Is to Blame
    The Beatles--Let It Be
    Chicago--Hard to Say I'm Sorry
    The BeeGees--More Than A Woman
    Marc Cohn--Walking in Memphis
    Crystal Gayle--Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue?
    Olivia Newton-John--Suddenly
    Eric Carmen--All By Myself
    Whitney Houston--I Want to Dance with Somebody
    Art Garfunkle--All I Know
    Michael Johnson--Almost Like Being in Love

I think this sounds good. But it is a bit older and softer than the Cox, iHeart and Entercom Soft AC stations. I'm not sure they play the Beatles or BeeGees much due to their age. And I guess you wouldn't find the Chuck Mangione, Art Garfunkle, Michael Johnson, Crystal Gayle and Edward Bear songs, even though I like them.
    I don't think I've heard "Suddenly" on any station for at least 20 years, "All I Know" for at least 30. I would imagine those songs will be the first to fall by the wayside if the idea is to throw stuff at the wall and sweep up what doesn't stick as a way to tighten up the playlist on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    I don't think I've heard "Suddenly" on any station for at least 20 years, "All I Know" for at least 30. I would imagine those songs will be the first to fall by the wayside if the idea is to throw stuff at the wall and sweep up what doesn't stick as a way to tighten up the playlist on the fly.
    I agree...when I saw "Suddenly," I thought Billy Ocean. I'd play THAT song in this format. Not ONJ. That song by her was not really a hit. Not compared to Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    I agree...when I saw "Suddenly," I thought Billy Ocean. I'd play THAT song in this format. Not ONJ. That song by her was not really a hit. Not compared to Magic.
    It came out between two much bigger singles of hers -- "Xanadu" and "Physical." Hit No. 4 AC, but not big at CHR in 1980, a year in which AC crossovers were still doing well. It's one of those big AC hits that I find myself humming along with at the supermarket but never hear on the radio. Vanessa Williams' "Colors of the Wind" is another. So far, I have yet to hear it on The Breeze here (WWYZ HD2).
    Last edited by CTListener; 01-05-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    No. 4 AC, but not big at CHR in 1980,

Still, the Billy Ocean song was a 2 week #1 on the AC chart. MUCH bigger hit. Billy doesn't get much respect today.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's a scheduling mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Still, the Billy Ocean song was a 2 week #1 on the AC chart. MUCH bigger hit. Billy doesn't get much respect today.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's a scheduling mistake.
    Not with all those other oddities on the playlist. If you toss out the '80s and '90s titles, this station would sound just like the original CBS soft-rock stations of the '70s (WEEI-FM, WMGK, etc.) Those stations played Garfunkel, Michael Johnson, etc. a lot. Either Cumulus thinks these songs stand up today or a local programmer is going out on a limb.