• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

107.3 XHFG History Timeline

Hi David or Jarr:

This one is for you guys. Your pretty knowledgeable on the history of Tijuana radio.

August 1, 1980-XHFG-Spanish Top 40 "Fiesta Grande 107.3"

____________-XHFG-Spanish AC "Digital 107.3, La Onda Hispana"

____________-XHFG-Spanish AC "La Nueva Onda 107.3, Amor Sin Fronters"

____________-XHFG-Spanish AC "Stereo 107.3, Mas Musica, Tu Conexion"

____________-XHFG-Spanish Top 40 "107.3 Pulsar-FM", 2007: "Pulsar 107.3 FM"

Can any of you guys fill in the dates. That would be awesome. Been doing lots of research but I have come up with nothing.
Thanks again for your help.
Tommy C.

Hi David or Jarr:

This one is for you guys. Your pretty knowledgeable on the history of Tijuana radio.

____________-XHFG-Spanish AC "Digital 107.3, La Onda Hispana"

____________-XHFG-Spanish AC "La Nueva Onda 107.3, Amor Sin Fronters"

____________-XHFG-Spanish Top 40 "107.3 Pulsar-FM", 2007: "Pulsar 107.3 FM"

Can any of you guys fill in the dates. That would be awesome. Been doing lots of research but I have come up with nothing.
Thanks again for your help.
Tommy C.

https://pictaram.nocensor.icu/post/BrrfDAHFT_-

https://pictaram.nocensor.icu/post/BrrgG-TF_Le

https://pictaram.nocensor.icu/post/BrrgwzrlSzC

Found these logos for 107.3 from 1992. All in Spanish. Could anybody tell me what they say? Was 107.3 in 1992 called "Digital 107.3" or "Fiesta Grande"?

I did find that FM Radio Atlas says that 107.3 XHFG was called "Digital 107" from 1992 on.

Thanks Tommy C.

"Digital 107 — Estás con la mejor compañía musical en Frecuencia Modulada, XHFG, Digital 107 Fiesta Grande, que transmite para tí las 24 horas del día los éxitos de la música en tu idioma. 30 mil watts de energía digital generan la señal estéreo más pura de la radio. 107.3 MHz, desde Tijuana, México."

"En Digital 107, trabajamos 24 horas para llevarte lo mejor de tu música. XHFG es Fiesta Grande."

"En la inmensidad del espacio hertziano, estamos contigo. Digital 107, Fiesta Grande."

Obviously the Fiesta Grande part is a riff on the XHFG calls, though in reality they come from the original concessionaire, a guy named Ing. Felipe Fernández González. This guy had a lengthy and distinguished engineering career—he was the director of the first live remote broadcast from the US to Mexico, spent 40 years at XETV, and he had 11 kids to boot.

BTW, the site that comes from has much, much, much more... (Though those don't show up on the site for some reason.) They also have a few IDs from the Stereo 107 era.

Raymie, thank you for providing the link--I had not heard of it. Commercial radio in Mexico has appealed to me, and I'm glad someone has posted tape and some history to it.

"Digital 107 — Estás con la mejor compañía musical en Frecuencia Modulada, XHFG, Digital 107 Fiesta Grande, que transmite para tí las 24 horas del día los éxitos de la música en tu idioma. 30 mil watts de energía digital generan la señal estéreo más pura de la radio. 107.3 MHz, desde Tijuana, México."

"En Digital 107, trabajamos 24 horas para llevarte lo mejor de tu música. XHFG es Fiesta Grande."

"En la inmensidad del espacio hertziano, estamos contigo. Digital 107, Fiesta Grande."

Obviously the Fiesta Grande part is a riff on the XHFG calls, though in reality they come from the original concessionaire, a guy named Ing. Felipe Fernández González. This guy had a lengthy and distinguished engineering career—he was the director of the first live remote broadcast from the US to Mexico, spent 40 years at XETV, and he had 11 kids to boot.

BTW, the site that comes from has much, much, much more... (Though those don't show up on the site for some reason.) They also have a few IDs from the Stereo 107 era.

When did they start the "Stereo 107" era?

I got in touch with someone at Pulsar 107.3 and they are going to get info on when "Pulsar 107.3 started. Just waiting.

Tommy C.

So I see that UNIRADIO had 2 FM Spanish AC stations. "Radio Amor 94.5" XHAMR and "Stereo 107.3" XHFG. Interesting. Why would a company want 2 of the same format?

Tommy C.

So I see that UNIRADIO had 2 FM Spanish AC stations. "Radio Amor 94.5" XHAMR and "Stereo 107.3" XHFG. Interesting. Why would a company want 2 of the same format?

Tommy C.

XHFG was pop, Amor was soft AC.

XHFG was Shakira, Amor was Luis Miguel.

This is like iHeart which has KIIS and KOST in LA. Very different formats.

XHFG was pop, Amor was soft AC.

XHFG was Shakira, Amor was Luis Miguel.

This is like iHeart which has KIIS and KOST in LA. Very different formats.

Hey David:

So when UNIRADIO acquired 94.5 Radio Amor XHAMR in 1998 XHFG "Stereo 107.3 changed to Spanish/Pop Top 40?

Reason why I was asking David was during my research on a list dated 9-2000 from https://www.americanradiohistory.com/INTERNATIONAL/Medios-Publicitarios/MPM-2000-09.pdf Page 48 XHFG 107.3 is listed as playing "BALADA MODERNA EN ESPANOL(Modern Ballad) , Balada romantica en espanol con los ultimos exitos. " Romantic ballad in Spanish with the latest hits"

Tommy C.

Hey David:

So when UNIRADIO acquired 94.5 Radio Amor XHAMR in 1998 XHFG "Stereo 107.3 changed to Spanish/Pop Top 40?

Reason why I was asking David was during my research on a list dated 9-2000 from https://www.americanradiohistory.com/INTERNATIONAL/Medios-Publicitarios/MPM-2000-09.pdf Page 48 XHFG 107.3 is listed as playing "BALADA MODERNA EN ESPANOL(Modern Ballad) , Balada romantica en espanol con los ultimos exitos. " Romantic ballad in Spanish with the latest hits"

Tommy C.

2000 was the year after HBC put KLQV and KLNV on the air in San Diego, and I was acting PD of KLQV. I remember XEFG being Shakira and Chayanne, while Amor was Luis Miguel and José José. One was pop, the other was "romántica". XEFG was more currents, and Amor was more gold based.

XEFG was not Top 40, as the Mexican pop stations tended to repeat songs perhaps 30 times a week, while a real Top 40 would be around 75 weekly play or more... some over 100.

In current US terms, Amor was AC, and XHFG was Hot AC.

The MPM descriptions tended to be vague and not always up to date.-

Last edited:

2000 was the year after HBC put KLQV and KLNV on the air in San Diego, and I was acting PD of KLQV. I remember XEFG being Shakira and Chayanne, while Amor was Luis Miguel and José José. One was pop, the other was "romántica". XEFG was more currents, and Amor was more gold based.

XEFG was not Top 40, as the Mexican pop stations tended to repeat songs perhaps 30 times a week, while a real Top 40 would be around 75 weekly play or more... some over 100.

In current US terms, Amor was AC, and XHFG was Hot AC.

The MPM descriptions tended to be vague and not always up to date.-

Hi David:

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I will put that on my timeline for 107.3.

Would you know by any chance when XHFG 107.3 changed to Pulsar 107.3?

Thanks for all your help. Your expansion of the formats are great so that I can understand.

Tommy C.

Last edited:
Was in 2002 when Stereo 107.3 changed to Pulsar 107.3

Thanks GEDA!!!! I really appreciate this.

I know "Pulsar" existed in August of 2002 and Geraldo Lopez started working at 107.3 FM as Regional Program Director in December 2001.

Would you happen to know when in 2002 Stereo 107.3 changed to Pulsar 107.3?

Thanks again for your help
Tommy C.

Hey Guys:

After some research I have fixed the 107.3 XHFG Timeline.

107.3 XHFG History Timeline (NEW LIST CORRECTED)

____________-XHFG-Spanish AC "La Nueva Onda 107.3, Amor Sin Fronters" Ex 9-90

____________-XHFG-Spanish AC "Digital 107.3, La Onda Hispana" Ex 92

________1999-XHFG-Spanish/Hot AC "Stereo 107.3, Mas Musica, Tu Conexion" (Added New)

________2002-XHFG-Spanish Top 40 "107.3 Pulsar-FM", 2007: "Pulsar 107.3 FM

I flip floped "La Nueva Onda 107.3" and "Digital 107.3"

Thanks
Tommy C.

Speaking of XHFG, Mario Alberto has been doing the morning show on Uniradio's Pulsar 107.3 for quite some time now. Not sure if since 2005. Probably the longest running on-air host on 107.3. There was a period not too long ago he was off the air on 107.3.

Moved on to do morning shows with CBS and SBS at KMVK and KXOL. Believe his first radio position was working with HBC (now Univision Radio) when KLQV was K-Love Spanish AC format in the early 2000s in SD. His morning shows were later sindicated when KLQV flipped to Viva as Spanish CHR. There were sindicated on KVVF and WVIV, which also carried the Viva branding at that time.

Last edited:
Believe his first radio position was working with HBC (now Univision Radio) when KLQV was K-Love Spanish AC format in the early 2000s in SD.

I hired him; he was just out of contract at Pulsar and we got him because the contract had lapsed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom