• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Xavier Basketball Totally on WKRC

Cincinnati Kid

Star Participant
Although Xavier basketball is eleven games into the regular season, I've just taken notice that apparently all of their games this season will be aired by WKRC 550-AM. For some years, XU games were on WLW unless there was a conflict with UC game broadcasts. Now it appears the Musketeers' contests will be on WKRC whether there is a conflict or not. Was information about this reported prior to the season and any reasons why?

I wonder if they feel that sports play by play hurts WLW's ratings.

In all respect, since it has been WLW who has provided play-by-play of local sports teams for a number of years, you'd think they would be just about the last area station to feel that way.

With-in a couple of days after starting this topic, I now hear the Xavier-Missouri game tonight (Tuesday) is being carried by WLW.

I get why Xavier continues to have WLW as its radio outlet, and I do have to chuckle at their athletic website that mentions games being on WKRC "in select situations" (their words, refusing to mention exactly what those situations are lol), but I've wondered why iHeart just doesn't make WKRC the flagship, whether on its own or at Xavier's behest. Not every sports broadcast has to be on WLW.
That has to chap Xavier that they are cast to another station every time their heated crosstown rival plays, although it's been going on for decades and if it bothered Xavier so much, I'm sure they'd have made some stink about it by now.
I cannot imagine any play-by-play hurts WLW's ratings. If it did, they'd unload some of their inventory and I sure don't see that happening.

I can recall when both schools were heard on WCPO AM & FM for one season and was for football and basketball. In more recent years, Xavier was on WLW and UC was on WCKY, WSAI and for one season, WKRC. Actually, I'm glad the administration of both schools doesn't openly complain about which team is on which station when their are conflicts.

I don't think I ever heard an X coach's show. Just heard Cronin tonight. Man - a win really brings out the humor! Was hilarious hearing about how he would hang from the garage rafters as a kid to try to stretch. And he gave somebody a lot of grief after the game in Philly for bringing him a plain sandwich when he "was ready to murder a meal" & they could've at least grabbed him a cheesesteak!

I guess there's a new sports cliche - "Getting the dub". Heard this Tony Pike in for Mo - covering X/UC. Anyone heard that one before? (Getting the W - in other words.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom