• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

When FCC is going to roll back Children television rules they was talking about it

It hasn't gotten very far. The idea was proposed by one of the Commissioners in February, but that's all I've heard.

A complete roll back of the rules would require an act of Congress, which won't happen soon. The FCC can change certain rules, such as:

- Permit stations to bury their E/I programming on a digital subchannel, instead of the current rule requiring E/I on each subchannel
- Change restrictions on scheduling, so that stations could bury E/I programming 1:35am on Sunday
- Loosen restrictions on advertising to children during E/I programming

A complete roll back of the rules would require an act of Congress, which won't happen soon. The FCC can change certain rules, such as:

- Permit stations to bury their E/I programming on a digital subchannel, instead of the current rule requiring E/I on each subchannel
- Change restrictions on scheduling, so that stations could bury E/I programming 1:35am on Sunday

That could work

They probably never will. It's more beneficial to the public if they keep it as-is and it helps stations pad out their programing schedules.

Litton's Weekend Adventure is counted in the syndication ratings and actually gets high ratings. Wouldn't be beneficial to the stations, to allow them to bury it to 2:05AM Sunday morning when they have quite a few million viewers...

They probably never will. It's more beneficial to the public if they keep it as-is and it helps stations pad out their programing schedules.

Most non-network stations lose money off of E/I because no one’s watching, therefore no one’s advertising within the shows (or, if they are, at a very low rate). Many stations would just put infomercials in their place.

That last one is all that's needed. The reason cartoons worked on Saturday morning TV for so long was the advertising of toys and games to an audience that was nearly all under 12, who'd ask their parents to buy them the cool stuff they saw in the commercials. But the trend for years now has been to try to insulate children from everything any doctor, sociologist or quack psychologist might consider harmful, and that includes advertising of stuff that kids would be likely to enjoy. So the idea is probably a non-starter.

I've said before that if E/I is ever repealed stations will go to more news and sports at best or infomercials at the worst. Cartoons won't be brought back.

That last one is all that's needed. The reason cartoons worked on Saturday morning TV for so long was the advertising of toys and games to an audience that was nearly all under 12, who'd ask their parents to buy them the cool stuff they saw in the commercials. But the trend for years now has been to try to insulate children from everything any doctor, sociologist or quack psychologist might consider harmful, and that includes advertising of stuff that kids would be likely to enjoy. So the idea is probably a non-starter.

Some E/I shows still have direct response advertisements with products that target kids (like "Magic Tracks," for example). The ad guidelines laid out by the FTC have per-inquiry/direct response advertisers of products for kids put a blunt "must be 18 or older to order" at the end of the ad, which does upset kids. I don't know why they can't use "kids, your parents have to buy" message.

Some E/I shows still have direct response advertisements with products that target kids (like "Magic Tracks," for example). The ad guidelines laid out by the FTC have per-inquiry/direct response advertisers of products for kids put a blunt "must be 18 or older to order" at the end of the ad, which does upset kids. I don't know why they can't use "kids, your parents have to buy" message.

The ads never mentioned the parents at all. They pitched the product to the children as super-cool, must-have items. That was all the kids needed to be prompted to plead with mom or dad to get them a Chatty Cathy or a GI Joe or an Operation game. ("Remove funny bone. Ha ha ha.") The modern-day "must be 18 to order" caveat seems pointless.

The ads never mentioned the parents at all. They pitched the product to the children as super-cool, must-have items. That was all the kids needed to be prompted to plead with mom or dad to get them a Chatty Cathy or a GI Joe or an Operation game. ("Remove funny bone. Ha ha ha.") The modern-day "must be 18 to order" caveat seems pointless.

It's meant as a legal disclaimer so parents don't sue companies if their kids call and order with Mom's credit card.

Time to ditch the kid's vid rules which are outdated that killed cartoons on Saturday. Kid's Click on Sinclair TV stations only air those magic tracks cars and other items which I think the ad's need to be relxed. All the nature & E/I shows ad's are for adults only don't sell to kids which they know that only adults are watching if that.

As long as the government is shutdown, FCC can't do anything. They have no funds to change the rules right now. As much as I'd love to see Barney & Fred promoting Fruity Pebbles, and commercials for dolls and toys on Litton's Weekend Adventure, I doubt that will ever happen.

As long as the government is shutdown, FCC can't do anything. They have no funds to change the rules right now. As much as I'd love to see Barney & Fred promoting Fruity Pebbles, and commercials for dolls and toys on Litton's Weekend Adventure, I doubt that will ever happen.

Kids don't NEED that stuff on TV anymore. They have plenty of other home entertainment options available, including interactive ones like games. A 30-minute cartoon show with 12 minutes of candy, cereal and toy commercials is unlikely to grab their attention, or hold their interest if it does. Better for the station to run weekend versions of the weekday lite news shows and turn the later morning hours over to paying customers for infomercials.

Kids don't NEED that stuff on TV anymore. They have plenty of other home entertainment options available, including interactive ones like games. A 30-minute cartoon show with 12 minutes of candy, cereal and toy commercials is unlikely to grab their attention, or hold their interest if it does. Better for the station to run weekend versions of the weekday lite news shows and turn the later morning hours over to paying customers for infomercials.

I could tolerate more news, but more time for sports would be best. And PLEASE no more local time for infomercials!

I could tolerate more news, but more time for sports would be best. And PLEASE no more local time for infomercials!

If the local stations can find something that will take in more money than infomercials, they'll gladly put it in that time slot. Until the '90s, wrestling promotions used buy time in late Saturday mornings, but now that there's only one major promotion and it only makes national TV deals, that's no longer an option. Likewise, shows like "This Week in Baseball" and those hour-long condensed Notre Dame football games we remember from the '70s and '80s are no longer in production -- and pro and college sports "filler" content is now being produced for and aired on dedicated sports networks rather than being syndicated to local over-the-air stations. All in all, three hours or so of Infomercials between the end of "Today" or some similar lite-news show and whatever games the networks might be feeding on Saturday afternoon is the only way to go in the modern world of OTA TV. Sometimes, television isn't about entertaining or informing a mass audience; it's about survival, and that can be done by selling airtime just as long as there are hucksters (of products or codified superstitions, aka "religion") willing to pay for the time, even if only the terminally bored, lonely or weak-minded are watching.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom