• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tim Neverett not returning to Red Sox radio booth

Chad Finn (Globe) tweet:"The Red Sox did want Tim Neverett to return. WEEI/Entercom told him to start looking for another job during the summer. Story upcoming."

Chad Finn (Globe) tweet:"The Red Sox did want Tim Neverett to return. WEEI/Entercom told him to start looking for another job during the summer. Story upcoming."
This certainly doesn't sound like Neverett choosing not to return. It sounds like WEEI / Entercom did the choosing FOR him.

I'm sorry Neverett is going. He was solid in his work, and a great deal easier on the ears than Castiglione.

This certainly doesn't sound like Neverett choosing not to return. It sounds like WEEI / Entercom did the choosing FOR him.

I'm sorry Neverett is going. He was solid in his work, and a great deal easier on the ears than Castiglione.

If that's true, I wonder what WEEI wants in an announcer. An over-the-top hometown holler guy, like Tom Hamilton with the Indians? Or maybe an ex-player who'll do analysis and anecdotes and be merely competent on play-by-play, so as to discourage comparison with the No. 1 voice, Castiglione? Surely, they can't be looking for someone to say more nice things about the sponsors, the Jimmy Fund, and the players' wives' participation in various charity events -- Joe does more of that than three normal announcers are capable of!

Probably a mistake to believe anything you hear from EEI or the RS (as of yet).
Neverett is a NH guy who went to Emerson. I doubt he's leaving on his own unless
he's not being treated fairly in some regard?

One thing I noted last season. Joe and Tim alternated --it seemed-- leadoff positions in the broadcast. I thought they may be positioning Tim into the #1 position in advance of maybe Joe retiring in '19 or '20?

That's a shame. He had developed a loyal following during his relatively brief time here in Pittsburgh. He walked away from that for the opportunity to go back home (he grew-up in nearby New Hampshire).

Last edited:
If that's true, I wonder what WEEI wants in an announcer. An over-the-top hometown holler guy, like Tom Hamilton with the Indians? Or maybe an ex-player who'll do analysis and anecdotes and be merely competent on play-by-play, so as to discourage comparison with the No. 1 voice, Castiglione? Surely, they can't be looking for someone to say more nice things about the sponsors, the Jimmy Fund, and the players' wives' participation in various charity events -- Joe does more of that than three normal announcers are capable of!
I'm starting to think Castiglione is a living "Portrait of Dorian Gray". Everybody around him eventually leaves...and he stays there F-O-R-E-V-E-R!

If I were to guess...WEEI / Entercom will likely go the "in-house" route with someone safe, like Lou Merlone or Mike Mutnansky......H-O.-.H-U-M.

The last time I was truly impressed with a Sox radio guy was when Gary Cohen was calling The Pawtucket Red Sox games in the mid to late 1980's. Then...he got snapped up by the New York Mets organization...and the rest is history:(

I still don't get why NESN dropped Orsillo and grabbed OB from the radio side. They had solid talent on both sides, then they had to go and muck it up.

I still don't get why NESN dropped Orsillo and grabbed OB from the radio side. They had solid talent on both sides, then they had to go and muck it up.

Wasn't Tom Werner behind the Orsillo ouster? Something about not making the games sound exciting enough? He probably wasn't brown-nosing enough with the sponsors and the Jimmy Fund for the ruling triumvirate's tastes either, I'd imagine. I remember way back when Jim Woods was dropped from WITS's Red Sox team because he wouldn't do the glad-handing thing the way ownership at that time expected.

"and muck it up. "

The feeling was that O'B wasn't going to stay in radio, he wanted tv. So they eliminated Dangerous Don. IMO Orsillo was a much more popular guy in spite of not being the more talented broadcaster.
O'B markets the RS relentlessly which I understand is part of the gig. But sometimes it appears we are watching a show about the RS with a little baseball thrown in. I would rather listen to the radio side even though they are like 7 secs. ahead of the TV picture.

# apparently they told Neverett months ago. I think they did the same with Orsillo. So both guys probably went the second half of their last season thinking about job possibilities for the next season.

"and muck it up. "

The feeling was that O'B wasn't going to stay in radio, he wanted tv. So they eliminated Dangerous Don. IMO Orsillo was a much more popular guy in spite of not being the more talented broadcaster.

He and Jerry Remy had chemistry. They could get silly at times -- the Wally vs. Raymond "feud" with the Rays, the recurring discussion of Remy's never leaving his hotel room on the road, etc. -- but eventually they'd come back to talking about the game at hand.

I have an MLB.TV subscription and checked out Orsillo on Padres games occasionally last season. Yes, he had to make the best of a losing ballclub with little offensive ability, but to me, he sounded bored much of the time and was getting little support from the other voices in the booth. Maybe when/if the Padres start winning and develop a few exciting players with personality that provide the broadcasters something to work with, then Orsillo will perk up and the San Diego fans will understand why their team wanted him to take over from the legendary Dick Enberg.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom