• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

107.9 WPPZ Flipped

Funny how no one at all even noticed this flip. I wonder if 107.9 is in stereo now. For the last few months they've been mono FM, allowing for that flea power signal to go out a bit further.

As an aside, it would be nice if they played a few motown tunes, the four tops and the temps really aren't heard too often on these supposed throwback stations.

ALSO- How could we miss this? Real 106.1 was a "throwback" stations that's now MOR. 107.9 saw the chance to fill that small gap REAL left. Let's be "real" honest here (see what I did there?) we have 100.3 WRNB, 105.3 WDAS, and every now and then 103.9 WPHI dips into the throwbacks. Does WPPZ 107.9 stand an ice cube's chance in hell of getting a sizeable audience?

Funny how no one at all even noticed this flip. I wonder if 107.9 is in stereo now. For the last few months they've been mono FM, allowing for that flea power signal to go out a bit further.

As an aside, it would be nice if they played a few motown tunes, the four tops and the temps really aren't heard too often on these supposed throwback stations.

ALSO- How could we miss this? Real 106.1 was a "throwback" stations that's now MOR. 107.9 saw the chance to fill that small gap REAL left. Let's be "real" honest here (see what I did there?) we have 100.3 WRNB, 105.3 WDAS, and every now and then 103.9 WPHI dips into the throwbacks. Does WPPZ 107.9 stand an ice cube's chance in hell of getting a sizeable audience?

An article stated that WRNB dropped most of their older library to make room for WPPZ's shift. So they shouldn't overlap. But looking at WPPZ's recent ratings (A 0.9 6+), compared to the around the 4.0 they had pulled before when on 103.9... it seems time was running out on the format.

I guess this flip helps... um.... 1110 WNAP? The translator on 97.1?

I've been following Philly Radio for years. It seems like Urban One is constantly making changes to their 3 stations - 100.3, 103.9, and 107.9 - why don't they just sell the stations?

It's a family business. All in the family. I'd call it mom & pop, but it's mom & son.

Isn't it a proven fact they messed up two good performing signals, 100.3/103.9 and a great mom and pop, one of a kind on 107.7 which became a Philly move in on 107.9.

Not really a proven anything. Opinion? Sure. But for the fans of the formats that replaced the previous ones, it was something good for them. Just as when those formats replaced what came before, and previous fans were unhappy. Circle of life and all that.

It's actually a pretty good sounding station. I gave it a listen this morning. The signal will always be a challenge no matter what you put on there.

...they messed up ... a great mom and pop, one of a kind on 107.7 which became a Philly move in on 107.9.
That "great mom and pop" (WSNJ-FM) was an underutilized, under-powered, technically marginal facility programmed to a tiny 70 to death audience. It practically begged to be moved. Had someone raised the power to fully leverage the class B facility and programmed something relevant to a sizable audience in the Wilmington/South Jersey area, it would still be there today.

I listened for a couple minutes today. I heard two songs with dead air between. But they were good songs at least. Is this audience going to be younger than a Smooth Jazz audience would be? I've always kinda wondered, with this station's poor reach, why they didn't just throw on Smooth Jazz and forget about it. They wouldn't have to worry about cannibalization among the cluster and all that. But I guess this'll do for now.

I listened for a couple minutes today. I heard two songs with dead air between. But they were good songs at least. Is this audience going to be younger than a Smooth Jazz audience would be? I've always kinda wondered, with this station's poor reach, why they didn't just throw on Smooth Jazz and forget about it. They wouldn't have to worry about cannibalization among the cluster and all that. But I guess this'll do for now.

^ I wondered this very same thing a lot. Smooth jazz would be a perfect fit on 107.9. The format definitely has a following in Philly. It just no longer worked on a big signal. But for 107.9's signal, I think it'd work and actually make a little money. Maybe that'll be the next thing Urban One tries on there since they seem to like to flip formats of their stations every few months. lol

^ I wondered this very same thing a lot. Smooth jazz would be a perfect fit on 107.9. The format definitely has a following in Philly. It just no longer worked on a big signal. But for 107.9's signal, I think it'd work and actually make a little money. Maybe that'll be the next thing Urban One tries on there since they seem to like to flip formats of their stations every few months. lol

If smooth jazz was dropped as a format almost universally around 10 years ago because the audience was too old to sell, why would this be a viable option today, a decade later?

That "great mom and pop" (WSNJ-FM) was an underutilized, under-powered, technically marginal facility programmed to a tiny 70 to death audience. It practically begged to be moved. Had someone raised the power to fully leverage the class B facility and programmed something relevant to a sizable audience in the Wilmington/South Jersey area, it would still be there today.

I think WSNJ was a pretty good music station some years back, they played Contemporary hits during the day, then from 8 to midnight they played great oldies, I think the jock was Bob Fry, Saturday night was country classics. Their FM signal reached the Philly market with no problem, for a change of pace, refreshing to listen to.

If smooth jazz was dropped as a format almost universally around 10 years ago because the audience was too old to sell, why would this be a viable option today, a decade later?

How is classic R&B any better? Nice music but the demographic is about as old as smooth jazz. And "The Breeze" for that matter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom