• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 680

In Reynoldsburg, Ohio ...
* Daytime: Nothing
* Nighttime: Not much more. If WSCR is particularly strong at a given time, its IBOC hash can be heard. Sometimes, WPTF from Raleigh will sneak through. Always weak, never really loud at all but it can be listenable. Has a minor lobe pointed in my general direction, but looks like its primary lobe is aimed southeast and ultimately out into the Atlantic.

I remember hearing KKYX many times when I lived in the Houston area. Very impressive signal even for not being right in front of its primary nighttime lobe.

I lived in Mississippi in 2003/2004 and was right in the night pattern, albeit 50 miles away.. and heard KNBR.. once...

Obviously doable, but still a very nice catch!

My experience in Mississippi is mostly around Jackson, Meridian, and the Gulf Coast. Usually when I've heard something under the Memphis 680, its been either WCNN or once in a while WPTF.

Obviously doable, but still a very nice catch!

My experience in Mississippi is mostly around Jackson, Meridian, and the Gulf Coast. Usually when I've heard something under the Memphis 680, its been either WCNN or once in a while WPTF.

I was in the NW Delta near tunica and it was weak as hell, but I caught a call letter blurb in the mud

In NW San Antonio, it's local KKYX day and night.

At night if I aim the antenna just right in a N-NW direction, I can get a tiny partial null and sometimes hear a very faint KFEQ underneath. But it's only audible when KKYX isn't playing music.

Days: Non-profit Nostalgia KBRD Lacey WA. Only 250 watts omni daytimer, but the 450 foot antenna and the low frequency gets it to my place some 70 miles away no problem with just a little static. Plus it is just a few miles to salt water Puget Sound, which also helps. Will sometimes hear KNBR underneath in the winter months all day long.

Nights: KNBR, like it is a local. It was asked earlier what the KNBR format was like in the 60s and 70s. 60s into early 70s was personality driven MOR, evolving into AC by '73. Personalities were still key until the early 80s, when a much more news and news/talk format took over.

KBRD was very weak in north Bothell daytime, but audible. CBU-690 puts in a better signal. Have you tried for KOMW Omak, around sunset? They are the daytime regular here, with more of an Adult Standards format and some news/talk, also Dennis Prager weekdays 9-noon. Their sister FM stations can be heard about an hour north of here, in Ellensburg. 92.7 KNCW puts in a better signal, albeit still weak, than 104.3 KZBE.

KBRD was very weak in north Bothell daytime, but audible. CBU-690 puts in a better signal. Have you tried for KOMW Omak, around sunset? They are the daytime regular here, with more of an Adult Standards format and some news/talk, also Dennis Prager weekdays 9-noon. Their sister FM stations can be heard about an hour north of here, in Ellensburg. 92.7 KNCW puts in a better signal, albeit still weak, than 104.3 KZBE.

I will give the Omak one a try, thank you. With CBU permanently dropping to 25k directional, it has really helped clear the band for the little flamethrower in Lacey. I even heard traces of XEWW Tijuana (once called the Mighty 690) under CBU last week late evening. First time ever for that from this location. Then again, I am more of an accidental DXer with no special equipment.

Days: Non-profit Nostalgia KBRD Lacey WA. Only 250 watts omni daytimer, but the 450 foot antenna and the low frequency gets it to my place some 70 miles away no problem with just a little static. Plus it is just a few miles to salt water Puget Sound, which also helps. Will sometimes hear KNBR underneath in the winter months all day long..

I used to make it a point to listen to KBRD when I would make the Seattle-Portland run on a regular basis. It was an absolute hoot...and still is when I dial it up online once in a great while.

For my Seattle appointments, I usually stayed near Sea-Tac airport, where KBRD was weak, but marginally listenable if you were in a (rare) noise-free location. Going south on I-5 from Lacey, on a good car radio and no salt water path, 60 miles was about par for the course. I don't remember hearing it in or around Portland.

Can Recieve WPTF at night in SC.
They also won awards and praise for their broadcast of Information after Hurricane Hugo in 1989, thanks to their southward directional signal.

Right after CHLO moved from 680 to 1570, I would hear WDBC Escanaba, MI Days. After CHFI/CFTR upgraded, I could hear both Toronto and Escanaba Days by turning the radio. Nights, CHFI/CFTR, WPTF, WCTT, and once KNBR. It may have been the Night I also heard KFI when I called Big Ron O'Brien, who told me he once lived in Lincoln Park, MI, a mile from WJBK/WDEE, and could barely hear it at Night. CHLO had a great signal, even to the West toward KNBR. It was 1 kW DA-1 with a four tower parallelogram array. It must have just cleared KNBR.

KNBR This is a 50 Kw class A non-directional. CBS Sports absolute blowtorch. You can hear this baby close to the Oregon border and down near Los Angeles. I am told you can pick this up in Hawaii at night.

KNBR This is a 50 Kw class A non-directional. CBS Sports absolute blowtorch. You can hear this baby close to the Oregon border and down near Los Angeles. I am told you can pick this up in Hawaii at night.

i can hear it just fine most nights in southeast wyoming

KNBR makes regular late night appearances here in Kansas City, usually after midnight local time.

Bob

Oh, KNBR can be heard in Alaska at night. They are just a normal catch here in central WA at night, and sometimes even during winter days.

KNBR used to be doable in the Chicago area when Chicago's 670 used to signoff on Monday mornings. That hasn't happened in a long time.

As most (if not all) of the guys here know, I traveled in my work for the better part of 40 years. KNBR was strong and reliable up and down the west coast at night from Vancouver (Canada) to San Diego. Not to mention Hawaii. Going east, it was usually good to about Omaha...Despite a favorable 5kw pattern from KFEQ about 100 to the south of Omaha.

A lot of us here like to listen to a group of online receivers scattered around every continent (except Antarctica). The most popular receiver is one located on the Arctic Ocean coast of far northern Norway. In the two-and a half month long arctic night, KBRW, 680, from Barrow, Alaska, is the most reliable North American signal. Usually strong, and on at least a couple of occasions KNBR has been heard underneath it. More commonly on 680, CJOB Winnipeg, CFTR Toronto, and WRKO in Boston also can occasionally be heard....including sometimes on top.

Here's the link to the arctic receiver. http://arcticsdr.ddns.net:8073/. There might be openings to North America during late afternoon and early evening your time. The DX season will end very soon as the location moves to 24 hours of sunset then will begin to resume in or around October.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom