• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio.com is enough to drive a person insane

Miguelito

Star Participant
I meant to post this a couple weeks ago but I forgot. Has anyone tried listening to WOGL or WBEB via radio.com? I guess all of the radio stations that stream on there suffer from the same issue but I'll tell ya, it's almost impossible to listen for more than an hour at a time. It feels like they rotate a total of about 8 ads (or "features") to cover every single minute of commercials. And with stopsets being like 7-8 minutes long at this point, you end up hearing the same ads/features over and over again. You often hear the same ad/feature twice in the same break! There's a thing called "frequency capping" which is basically employed to ensure the audience doesn't have to suffer through this...but I guess it's not thought of as a problem for streaming. I don't know how they expect people to listen for any length of time.

Online radio loses money. They want you to listen on air. They don't want to make online better than on air.

Online radio loses money. They want you to listen on air. They don't want to make online better than on air.

Makes ya wonder then why they keep saying on air to listen to them on the app.

If you HAVE to listen to online radio, they'd prefer you stay within the company rather than go to Pandora.

But that doesn't change the fact that they'd really prefer you to keep the dial where it is.

Perhaps some day, there will be enough online listeners to have actual ads in those slots.

Or perhaps at some point, they'll offer subscription streaming that will be ad free.

But for now, this is what they have.

And why pretty much all the major players, both radio and TV, are pushing their apps incessantly. One does not do this if they don't intend to make money off the apps, at least in the long term.

And it might take several more years for the apps and other online listening methods to be profitable on their own. Remember, the CBS, NBC, and ABC TV networks all lost money for their first decade or so, but they had profitable local stations and radio networks to keep them afloat. That was why those networks survived, and Dumont did not.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom