WBZ not covering Bush funeral?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WBZ not covering Bush funeral?

WBZ not covering Bush funeral?

I tuned to WBZ to check for George Bush’s funeral and it didn’t seem like they were covering it. The only station I found with it is WGBH. Does anyone know of any others covering it?

Covering a past President's funeral wall-to-wall?

Quote Originally Posted by ssetta View Post

I tuned to WBZ to check for George Bush’s funeral and it didn’t seem like they were covering it.
    1.) By "covering it"...you mean covering it wall-to-wall, cancelling all other programming and canceling out all the spots?

2.) Do you think that's called for?

Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    1.) By "covering it"...you mean covering it wall-to-wall, cancelling all other programming and canceling out all the spots?

2.) Do you think that's called for?
    As much as I respected the late President G.H.W. Bush, a multi hour funeral with people doing long winded eulogies is not conducive to radio.

If a station chose to go wall to wall with it, that is their choice, but it certainly not something I would listen to for more than a few minutes....

I did catch a few minutes on the radio with pictures, and I'm sure we will be getting sound bites all night on the news, but IMHO wall to wall news station with a 30 minute wheel is not good radio, or necessary.

KYW 1060 in Philly aired the event today,.
    Julius May, Philadelphia PA.

Quote Originally Posted by MRBIboredop View Post
    As much as I respected the late President G.H.W. Bush, a multi hour funeral with people doing long winded eulogies is not conducive to radio.

If a station chose to go wall to wall with it, that is their choice, but it certainly not something I would listen to for more than a few minutes....

I did catch a few minutes on the radio with pictures, and I'm sure we will be getting sound bites all night on the news, but IMHO wall to wall news station with a 30 minute wheel is not good radio, or necessary.
    Exactly. A funeral is a visual event - the overall atmosphere, the attendees and speakers, their reactions and emotions, etc. Anyone interested in live coverage would go to TV, or streaming, if possible - only resorting to radio if they have no other option. So a radio station with full coverage gets mainly those who would rather be watching elsewhere, and annoys those who wanted news-weather-traffic.

Other radio stations in the area may have covered it.

Quote Originally Posted by ssetta View Post
    The only station I found with it is WGBH. Does anyone know of any others covering it?
    In my radio "dial-surfing", I also caught NPR live funeral coverage on WBUR-90.9, and Rhode Island Public Radio's 89.3

Quote Originally Posted by Channel 83 View Post
    In my radio "dial-surfing", I also caught NPR live funeral coverage on WBUR-90.9, and Rhode Island Public Radio's 89.3
    They love those long form events at NPR. Especially in town remotes. Very easy to do.

Bloomberg did.
    WCBS in NY did.
    Wimmmex, do you work for IHeart?

Quote Originally Posted by inorm99 View Post

Bloomberg did.
    WCBS in NY did.
    Wimmmex, do you work for IHeart?
    Nope! Not at all.

But, iNorm, I'm back to my previous question re: wall-to-wall coverage: "2.) Do you think that's called for?"

I was in Bristol, Connecticut on Wednesday waiting for my Mom at the hair dressers. Caught wall-to-wall funeral coverage on:

710 WOR NYC
    770 WABC NYC
    810 WGY Albany, NY
    880 WCBS NYC
    1010 WINS NYC
    1080 WTIC Hartford, CT
    1220 WQUN Hamden, CT
    Brammy

My Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mpbramhall82

My Retail Message Board: http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php

My Writing Portfolio: https://www.Writing.Com/authors/slydogg

Tune into The Freestyle Lives Show hosted by Da Bad Boy Richie Rich Sunday Nights 7PM-9PM (Eastern) on La Mega 101.7 (910) in Hartford and La Mega 94.9 (890) in Boston.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast