• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hartford Ratings Releases 12/3/18

MarcB

Walk of Fame Participant
The Hartford Ratings were releases 12/3/18.

Down: WRCH (by a lot), WTIC-FM, WKSS, WTIC (AM), WDRC-FM, WMRQ, WUCS, WMAS (Springfield), Talk of Connecticut, WFCR (Amherst), Kool 96.1/990, WTIC-FM-Stream

Up: WWYZ, WZMX, WHCN, CT Public Radio, BOMBA-FM, WRCH-Stream, WTIC(AM)-Stream,

Same: WPOP

Full Numbers: https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb061

The Hartford Ratings were releases 12/3/18.

Down: WRCH (by a lot), WTIC-FM, WKSS, WTIC (AM), WDRC-FM, WMRQ, WUCS, WMAS (Springfield), Talk of Connecticut, WFCR (Amherst), Kool 96.1/990, WTIC-FM-Stream

Up: WWYZ, WZMX, WHCN, CT Public Radio, BOMBA-FM, WRCH-Stream, WTIC(AM)-Stream,

Same: WPOP

Full Numbers: https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb061

Many of those "downs" were 0.1 and 0.2--point statistically irrelevant wobbles. Kool sinking into "participation trophy" territory -- too few listeners to qualify otherwise -- is interesting, though. I like classic hits, but I must admit I find the station a difficult listen. It's relentlessly loud and uptempo, the DJs are small-market quality and painfully obviously voicetracked, and the audio is tiring on the ears, especially for home listening. Of course, Bomba has the same overdriven, harsh audio, but its listeners don't seem to mind. I wonder what changes are in store for WDRC-FM when on-the-cheap Red Wolf takes full ownership, ending the current LMA that has kept The Whale sounding pretty much the same as it did under Connoisseur.

Listening to Kool Radio is tiring. They play The Beatles, Billy Joel, and Elton John over and over again. Not to mention their hourly newscasts from Westwood One. Very few music stations do hourly newscasts. Aside from WZBG 97.3 in Litchfield and WQUN 1220 in Hamden what other music stations in Connecticut due hourly news updates? The technical problems are getting old too. It's been well over a year since they've had that hum in the background. Kool Radio originates out Ledyard and is fed to Southington. The hum is only on 990/96.1. I can pick up 1270 from Springfield in places and the hum is not there. I've been in Feeding Hills READ: Agawam and Holyoke and the hum is not on 100.1 FM. There was also that strange week back in October where Leon Strong's Voice-tracks were missing and replaced with static and a rumbling sound that only went away after I sent 2 emails to Full Power Radio. (I'm Facebook friends with a guy who's self-syndicated show airs on Kool Radio who gave me an email for Full Power Radio).

As a Caucasian Man in his 30 who doesn't speak or understand Spanish, I'm not it the demographics for Bomba-FM. That being said I prefer Bomba-FM over La Mega 101.7 (910-AM). Bomba-FM to me sounds fresh and upbeat. I happen to like their midday personality DJ Red el colorao. He also does a Sunday night show playing Spanish Hip-Hop and Spanish Trap Music with DJ MG. La Mega sounds old, boring, and tired. The only decent thing to listen to on La Mega is the Freestyle Show on Sunday Nights. (When it's actually on). La Mega's days may be numbered with the station being for sale and that new Catholic Network that just bought WNLK in Norwalk sniffing around to buy stations in the CT and New York area. I believe 101.7/910 will be running Catholic programming by the year 2020.

WDRC-FM is down to a 4.4 and is beaten by WNPR.

WTIC AM got a 7.0 in October and a 6.8 in November. Considering they aired the World Series, gubernatorial election coverage and a heavy afternoon snow storm, they should have done better.

WDRC-FM is down to a 4.4 and is beaten by WNPR.

WTIC AM got a 7.0 in October and a 6.8 in November. Considering they aired the World Series, gubernatorial election coverage and a heavy afternoon snow storm, they should have done better.

Statistical wobble, both months were essentially identival.

WUCS, which was up for the month by more than a wobble, had the Series, too, with higher quality audio and no manmade electrical interference. Oh, and one afternoon's snowstorm isn't going to impact a month's worth of ratings, either.

I can't imagine an HD 2 getting ratings that good.

The translators put a good signal into places with many Spanish-dominant listeners -- Hartford, Waterbury, Meriden. Much better coverage than the translators of the Hartford area's Spanish-language AMs. It really doesn't matter that the originator is an HD2 with few actual listeners, as the people who listen on conventional radios on the translators' frequencies count just the same.

Also, Bomba is not your average HD2 computer-in-a-closet. It is a staffed Latin CHR, not as smooth and sophisticated as, say WSKQ New York, but the most professional-sounding Latin pop format in the market. Not surprising at all that it's found an audience.

Also, Bomba is not your average HD2 computer-in-a-closet. It is a staffed Latin CHR, not as smooth and sophisticated as, say WSKQ New York, but the most professional-sounding Latin pop format in the market. Not surprising at all that it's found an audience.

They've been on the air for 9 years now. Started with one translator. 97.5 (now 97.1) in Bolton. Then they added translators over the years in Bridgeport (104.9, now 104.5), Meriden (99.5 now 98.5), New London (104.5), Waterbury (99.5), and New Haven (102.3). Plus Springfield at 104.5 (which simulcasts 1490). At one time Springfield had separate programming, but they changed to a 100% simulcast of Bomba in Connecticut. They do tons of remotes, sponsor concerts, interview artists, etc. One DJ said on air over the summer he likes the new studios in Bloomfield. - Shorter commute than Glastonbury was.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom