• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ben FM

I absolutely love this station and am shocked at how WOGL triples the ratings of this station. They play soo much variety with songs WOGL would not touch. Any ideas why they just cannot compete? is it that Greater Media does not put enough money into the station? I just cannot believe that its one of the lowest rated stations on the dial month after month. I think if they hired a midday and nighttime jock and sounded more from that era of late 80s and early 90s like Hot Hits or the Eagle they might get better ratings.
Is there any chance, they change the station? I know if that was the case, WOGL would probably take their playlist to get a younger 25-54 audience.
Happy Holidays to everyone on this board!

I absolutely love this station and am shocked at how WOGL triples the ratings of this station. They play soo much variety with songs WOGL would not touch. Any ideas why they just cannot compete? is it that Greater Media does not put enough money into the station? I just cannot believe that its one of the lowest rated stations on the dial month after month. I think if they hired a midday and nighttime jock and sounded more from that era of late 80s and early 90s like Hot Hits or the Eagle they might get better ratings.
Is there any chance, they change the station? I know if that was the case, WOGL would probably take their playlist to get a younger 25-54 audience.
Happy Holidays to everyone on this board!

I’m not sure I follow why if Ben moved out of town, WOGL would take the playlist of a station that performed more poorly. That seems....counterproductive.

WOGL has heritage on its side. It is a pretty big gem in the now-Entercom crown with lots of associated promotion.

Ben, I would submit, has stuck around in part by being cheaper and finding a nice little adult hits (or variety hits, or whatever it’s called) niche. They’re not going to out WOGL WOGL. Greater Media then Beasley opted not to go the soft AC route before iHeart pounced. A midday or nighttime host isn’t going to change any of that equation in any meaningful way.

My take is that the success of WMGK is hurting WBEN. Which is strange, because the music WMGK plays is older, and they're both owned by Beasley. BEN is rockier than WOGL, and that brings it closer to WMGK. But this is just another example of what happens when you keep chopping up the same pie. They're all grabbing on to various sub-genres of basically the same music.

Ben has always played a lot of 80s. When it launched, Oldies 98.1 was playing the greatest hits of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. They didn't touch the 80s. Ben had the 80s mostly to themselves. Ben was also the reason why we didn't get 98.1 Jack FM.
Now, 98.1 claims to play more 80s than anyone else.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom