The Breeze blows into Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Breeze blows into Seattle

The Breeze blows into Seattle

iHeart's national Soft Rock product, The Breeze, is now on 95.7 HD3. I suppose it serves at least two purposes: 1) keeps any other "Breeze" from showing up in the market, and 2) sticks a small finger in the eye of The Sound (which is no longer available in digital due to the BBQ.)

At the risk of getting way off-topic, could someone on the board remind me of the average number of listeners who have a car or home radio equipped to access HD radio. If a very small number have access to HD radio then the Breeze may not create storm.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    At the risk of getting way off-topic, could someone on the board remind me of the average number of listeners who have a car or home radio equipped to access HD radio. If a very small number have access to HD radio then the Breeze may not create storm.
    Home radio, statistically about 0%.

Car radios: under 10%.

With less than half of all listening being in the car, that means that less than 5% of all listening could be to HD.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

With less than half of all listening being in the car, that means that less than 5% of all listening could be to HD.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    Then again if everyone who had access to HD actually listened, that would be just fine.

I don't think anyone is programming HD radio to become a Top 5 station. At least not now.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Not off topic at all, and a good point. Which is why I made the point that this was mainly a move to ward off any other "Breeze" stations from appearing in the market. iHeart has done the same move in several markets so far. And for my point number 2, maybe I should have said a VERY small finger.

I don't know if HD will ever gain traction like FM finally did, but in our house anyway we love it. Music just sounds so much better than SiriusXM, though we still keep our subscriptions for the wider variety and comedy/talk. For 2017, just under 50% of all new cars have HD factory installed; if there is to be long term success, it will be through that route. (Side note, all Subarus now come standard with HD, so not shocking that one of the highest HD penetration markets is Burlington VT!)

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Chico View Post
    Not off topic at all, and a good point. Which is why I made the point that this was mainly a move to ward off any other "Breeze" stations from appearing in the market. iHeart has done the same move in several markets so far. And for my point number 2, maybe I should have said a VERY small finger.

I don't know if HD will ever gain traction like FM finally did, but in our house anyway we love it. Music just sounds so much better than SiriusXM, though we still keep our subscriptions for the wider variety and comedy/talk. For 2017, just under 50% of all new cars have HD factory installed; if there is to be long term success, it will be through that route. (Side note, all Subarus now come standard with HD, so not shocking that one of the highest HD penetration markets is Burlington VT!)
    To put that in perspective, that 50% for 2017 is about 2.5% of all cars on the road... the average US vehicle is over 11 years old. That means that it will likely to be around 8 years just to get to 25% of all cars on the road having HD.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

To put that in perspective, that 50% for 2017 is about 2.5% of all cars on the road... the average US vehicle is over 11 years old. That means that it will likely to be around 8 years just to get to 25% of all cars on the road having HD.
    And it will be longer than that if the Republican Recession(TM) hits as scheduled. And even if that doesn't happen, there are people more in the know than me who say we have already hit "peak car." So who knows?

That being said, there are about 22.5 million HD units in cars on the road as of February 2018, and we are currently adding 8 million a year while aging out very few. (Other than the usual number getting wrapped around telephone poles...) How many of those folks are using HD? Well, most of them, because the audio automatically switches for them to HD without them even knowing. How many are aware of/using the multicasts is the big question.

Quote Originally Posted by The New Chico View Post
    How many of those folks are using HD? Well, most of them, because the audio automatically switches for them to HD without them even knowing. How many are aware of/using the multicasts is the big question.
    I'm thinking that number might be close to 0 percent.

My wife has a new Subaru with an HD radio and she has no clue what HD2, HD3 signals are. Nobody at Subaru explained it to her and she doesn't listen to me when I explain it (or anything else, for that matter) to her. My car does not have an HD radio but I have one at home, which is how I pickup HD2, HD3, etc. The radio industry has simply not yet embraced HD from a marketing perspective. With so many other music options out there now, perhaps HD radio is just not worth an honest effort from the radio industry, I dunno...

They really should’ve put the Breeze on 102.9 or 104.9

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast