• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WGN-AM Quandry

Your first problem is that you are not knowledgeable about the business side of broadcasting, and don't accept the opinions of those who post here who have been in the industry for decades.

Your desire for a source is still unmet. There is no way to prove that a law requiring stations to carry a specific program does not exist, because there is no written proof of it. I cited the FCC rules as an example of one place where such a law does not appear, but I would have to go through all Federal, State and Local legislation and codes to prove conclusively that such a rule does not exist.

On the other hand, people in the business know how silly the idea of stations being required to run Rush is. It's an absurdity, we know it and a number of people here tried to tell you that.

I don't know if i want to even begin even stating any problems I have with you, and I bet I do

Is there a law requiring that Wheel of Fortune be carried in every TV market? Of course not but it is.

I believe Wheel is covered in a subsection of the Jeopardy! Act of 1995. But that law simply codified a longstanding practice.

I believe the practice has longstanding precedent, going back to a game played in taverns, pubs and faires and well covered in English common law.

It was formalized in the US to regulate "The $64,000 Question" and is sometimes referred to as "Law 64" even though that is not the true number of the statute.

I believe the practice has longstanding precedent, going back to a game played in taverns, pubs and faires and well covered in English common law.

Ah yes, the one requiring at least two dartboards in every establishment having one snooker table.

The Jeopardy! Act has been challenged only once, and that was more of a request for clarification. WBZ, et al v. Sony Pictures Television, Sajak, White, Trebek, et al involved stations that wanted to run Jeopardy! after Wheel rather than before it. The court ruled that, although Jeopardy! is mentioned first in the law, stations are free to run the two shows in either order, just so long as they are aired consecutively.

I believe Wheel is covered in a subsection of the Jeopardy! Act of 1995. But that law simply codified a longstanding practice.

It was formalized in the US to regulate "The $64,000 Question" and is sometimes referred to as "Law 64" even though that is not the true number of the statute.

Thank you.

You know of course that people are actually going to believe this!

Lest Family Feud be forgotten....is it a requirement that whatever station shows Family Feud MUST be required to air two FF shows back to back? Seems every town I've been in, whatever station has that show, plays two of them one after the other. Also, must one be a new show followed by a repeat or must they be two new shows?

Lest Family Feud be forgotten....is it a requirement that whatever station shows Family Feud MUST be required to air two FF shows back to back? Seems every town I've been in, whatever station has that show, plays two of them one after the other. Also, must one be a new show followed by a repeat or must they be two new shows?

Right now the regular Family Feud is on summer break for tv airings, as I will imagine or assume that Steve Harvey is taping a new season, along with the so called Celebrity version. I don't know about it being a requirement but it could work well either way.

WAQI and WWFE in Miami are 100% local. WUNO, WKAQ and WKSE in Puerto Rico are 100% local. All are all news and talk.
Sorry for popping in here so late, but...
I do not believe that nationally syndicated Spanish language talk radio can be done in this country successfully because the populations are so diverse.
Cuban-Americans, Mexican-Americans, and Puerto Ricans would have absolutely no interest in talk programming directed at or to either of the other two.
Is that a fair assumption?

Sorry for popping in here so late, but...
I do not believe that nationally syndicated Spanish language talk radio can be done in this country successfully because the populations are so diverse.
Cuban-Americans, Mexican-Americans, and Puerto Ricans would have absolutely no interest in talk programming directed at or to either of the other two.
Is that a fair assumption?

That is generally correct. In fact, over the last several decades, networks like Radio Labio, Radio Unica and Radio Visa have attempted to created talk radio networks with national distribution. None has even remotely succeeded, and all lost considerable money.

Further, there are considerable groups of Dominicans, Colombians, Venezuelans and Salvadorans in several East Coast markets such as New York, Boston, DC and Miami and in the larger cities of the Southwest there are significant communities of people from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. They share few common interests.

As has been said, "Seventeen countries divided by a single language".

As has been said, "Seventeen countries divided by a single language".
I had to look them up: (in order by population)

_1, Mexico
_2. Colombia
_3. Spain
_4. Argentina
_5. Perú
_6. Venezuela
_7. Chile
_8. Ecuador
_9. Guatemala
10. Cuba
11. Bolivia
12. Dominican Republic
13. Honduras
14. Paraguay
15. El Salvador
16. Nicaragua
17. Costa Rica
18. Panama
19. Uruguay
20. Puerto Rico (USA)
21. Equatorial Guinea

I guess we can eliminate Spain and Equatorial Guinea for not being in Latin America, Puerto Rico for not being a country, and Argentina for speaking a strange form of the language.

My history of how the region got divided up ends with the Pope dividing it between Portugal (somehow Brazil remained intact) and Spain,
something about a Grand Bolivia which split into approximately three or four countries, and the United States forming Panama in order to dig the canal.

I guess we can eliminate Spain and Equatorial Guinea for not being in Latin America, Puerto Rico for not being a country, and Argentina for speaking a strange form of the language.

Is Argentine Spanish so different that it cannot be understood by Spanish speakers in the other Latin American countries?

Is Argentine Spanish so different that it cannot be understood by Spanish speakers in the other Latin American countries?

Indeed it is. Unless Argentine productions are done using "international Spanish" they are very hard to understand and harsh to the ear. The accent is very Italian (as are at least a third of the surnames), and the word usage is significantly different. And on the street, many words from Lunfardo, the original dialect of the dock workers, have been borrowed.

Think the differences of Cockney English, Jamaican English and Outback Oz English.

Think the differences of Cockney English, Jamaican English and Outback Oz English.
With apologies for the veer, and not to take this too far.... But this reminds me of my first trip to England. My wife and I were staying at a hotel about in a rural area about 90 miles north-northwest of London. I was surprised to hear what sounded like Irish being spoken by some of the staff. I couldn't understand some of it.....

Me: Do you import workers from Ireland?
Hotel Manager: (with a slightly bemused expression). No, sir. It's the local dialect. In fact, it's of purely local origin.
Me: Really! In how large of an area is it spoken?
Hotel Manager: Probably about 10-15 miles in any direction. (He told me a lot of guests mistake the native speakers for Irish).

Fast forward to three years ago when we were in the Tuscany area of northern Italy for ten days. I heard from a number of the natives that speakers from Sicily and other areas of southern Italy can be difficult for them to understand. And vice versa.

So the dynamic is quite obviously not unique to Spanish, English, or any other of the world's major languages. It's also....frankly...to be expected.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom