• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Frequency of the Week 2018-19: 93.7

What do you/did you/have you heard on 93.7.?

Continuing our survey of the Class B/C Frequencies.

East Tennessee: The maps say I should be in WFBC, Greenville SC's deep fringe signal but I rarely hear it. 93.7's a fairly clear frequency in the Knoxville/Sevierville area, but I've rarely received it. There was a Sevierville translator on 93.7 which ran the former WNOX on 100.3 (as a news-talk station after the LMA with Citadel fell through after the bankruptcy), then Star 102.1. Last weekend I caught WCQR, Greeneville TN's translator during a drive through the newly opened Foothills Parkway extension.

Ive received WFCJ, Miamisburg, OH twice from the Knoxville area. Also caught WDJC, Birmingham one December evening.

RETRO/OTHER: Western Ohio, it was almost always WFCJ, but often the present day WBCT (then WJFM-Mellow 93). Lafayette IN would bring me St. Louis's KSD-FM (KS94 at the time. )

DX recording of the week from Bob Hawkins: WJFM-93.7 at Christmastime (maybe even Christmas morning) http://46124.info/FM/Michigan/MI Grand Rapids 93.7 1980 WJFM.mp3

Yakima WA - Local K229AD (translator of KDYK-1020, Spanish Religion). This station had previously been a translator of KLKY-96.1 Stanfield OR (U-ROCK Radio, Classic Rock), and prior to that, was repeating KUJJ-101.9 Weston OR (Smooth Jazz).
If this station is off the air for some reason, or I'm down in the lower valley, KQFM Hermiston OR (Adult Contemporary) comes in. This used to be on 100.1 before moving to let KRKG-93.7 Pasco go up to 100.1 for wider coverage. I have KRKG Pasco in the log, actually, '93.7 The Rockin' River' classic rock when I first moved here in December 2013. They had been operating on 450 watts.
One time log of KDRK Spokane WA (Country) as well. However, up in Ellensburg, they are often heard on tropo scatter. Also a one-time log of CJJR Vancouver BC (JR FM Country) but I had be 20 miles west of town in the hills, to hear them faintly, and a one-time log of KLSY Montesano WA (Spanish Christian) under K229AD.

E-skip logs here. Now, keep in mind, I logged many 93.7's north of Seattle on Es because it was relatively open back then (pre-December 2013). But as they were logged on a channel that is occupied by a local here in Yakima, they did NOT count here. Same with 94.5's, 92.9's. The first two were logged in a tight null of K229AD during strong Es in 2015 and 2017 respectively, the third was logged when the local was off, 6/22/18.
KXXI Gallup NM (Classic Rock)
KRQQ Tucson AZ (Top 40)
KLBB-FM Lubbock TX (Classic Hits)

And now the rest of the Es logs, all from the Seattle area and they don't count in the Yakima logs:
KAZY Cheyenne WY (Rock)
KWYR Winner SD (Classic Rock)
WDAY-FM Fargo ND (Top 40, now KOYY)
KIZZ Minot ND (Top 40)
KRAI-FM Craig CO (Hot AC)
KSKS Fresno CA (Country) - I think? I'd have to look.
KJZY Sebastopol CA (Smooth Jazz, now AC)
KVYL Mohave Valley AZ (Adult Album Alternative)

Any of the above mentioned are wanted and would be new to the YAKIMA logs. Also KYEZ Salina KS is on the target list. I've heard 95.5 Salina several times here in Yakima, but never Y93.7 even if I null K229AD during the opening...

WJFM Grand Rapids used to dominate 93.7 for hundreds of miles when it was 500000 watts and before Docket 80-90 dropped in many new stations on the channel, including WRCL Frankenmuth and WKAD Harrietta in Michigan. WBCT, which I call "The Beast", is still strong at 320000 watts and is still the most powerful FM station in the United States.

93.7 is WKAD Harrietta most of the time. Occasionally WBCT Grand Rapids or WBFM Sheboygan, which is ALSO a country B93, come in.

My other 93.7 catches:
KXXR Minneapolis, MN
KYFJ New Iberia, LA (my only Es on 93.7)
W229CQ Milwaukee, WI
WBGR Monroe, WI
WCYE Three Lakes, WI

There are 3 potential stations that one can hear in the Bay at any time. The first is KVTO, a 1 Kw out of Berkeley simulcasting Chinese 1400 AM; extremely weak signal that interferes with the next two. The second is KYRV, a 25 Kw signal out of Sacramento playing classic rock. The third is KJZY, a 6 Kw out of Sebastopol playing country.

Unfortunately, they all compete with one another.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom