• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Banned Christmas and winter songs

Wow, they are being really disingenuous. That article says their Facebook poll only shows a small percentage wanted it banned and they say a majority wanted it banned?

Actually that's just flat out dishonest. I can't see that helping their reputation.

I realize that, but a a reasonable person would assume that the results were likely similar between the two polls, or at least not completely flip/flopped.

And they didn't show the results of the poll on the station web site. Now why would that be? Clearly something is not right there.

This is ridiculous! The song is clearly about a woman who is playing "hard to get". That said, it wasn't considered a holiday favorite until probably the "Elf" movie. It could easily go back in storage.

This is ridiculous! The song is clearly about a woman who is playing "hard to get". That said, it wasn't considered a holiday favorite until probably the "Elf" movie. It could easily go back in storage.
I guess when the old man drugs her drink makes it easier to get her.

I guess when the old man drugs her drink makes it easier to get her.

No one is old! The reference to the drink is part of "drunk humor", which doesn't translate very well to modern audiences but used to be quite common. It doesn't mean that someone drugged her drink. That would've been unthinkable in 1944 and probably 1964!

Perhaps AARP will attempt to banish "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" from the airwaves.

No one is old! The reference to the drink is part of "drunk humor", which doesn't translate very well to modern audiences but used to be quite common. It doesn't mean that someone drugged her drink. That would've been unthinkable in 1944 and probably 1964!
If this song came out today I would have assumed Bill Cosby wrote it.

As if Americans didn't already have enough evidence to believe that the city is a hellhole populated by morons...Cleveland strikes again.

As if Americans didn't already have enough evidence to believe that the city is a hellhole populated by morons...Cleveland strikes again.

The bad rap that Cleveland got was a product of the death of heavy industry in the late 60's and 70's and the resultant decay and ensuing bad government.

But heck, it's half a century later. Were it not for the winters, I'd move back.

And WQAL is an Entercom station... and they are likely basking in the publicity this got them.

All that is aside from the fact that the song, by today's different standards, is subject to criticism... 1945 called and they want their sexism back.

Not a Christmas song.....but listen to the lyrics of "Wives and Lovers" (ala Jack Jones, et al.......)....
Wonder when the complaints will start rolling in on THIS one.....??!

Infernal institutions such as Case Western Reserve University, The Cleveland Orchestra, the Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland Clinic, and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame probably just add flames to the eternal suffering of all those morons in their hellhole.

And WQAL is an Entercom station...

As is WDOK.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom