Nobody at CBS News New York?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobody at CBS News New York?

Nobody at CBS News New York?

When CBS broke in to announce the death of President George Bush they had to go out to the local news in LA. Does the New York bureau shut down on Friday night? Surprising as they have CBSN running 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Don CT View Post
    When CBS broke in to announce the death of President George Bush they had to go out to the local news in LA. Does the New York bureau shut down on Friday night? Surprising as they have CBSN running 24/7.
    Bush was 94, and had been in failing health for years. And given that it was announced an hour or so ago, I doubt that CBS has too many viewers at this hour (about 1 AM ET as I write this). There'll be plenty of coverage in the morning, and I'll bet CBSN is covering it live.
    We have to save the Earth! It's the only planet with football and beer.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithE4 View Post
    Bush was 94, and had been in failing health for years. And given that it was announced an hour or so ago, I doubt that CBS has too many viewers at this hour (about 1 AM ET as I write this). There'll be plenty of coverage in the morning, and I'll bet CBSN is covering it live.
    The other networks broke in with anchors from New York, so they had on air anchors ready. I would think CBS could put an CBSN anchor on the network to make the announcement. To throw to a local CBS 2 anchor from LA seems strange for such big news.

NBC had Steve Kornacki from MSNBC, on last hour with the report. Chris Matthews called in to discuss the President's life. RIP, Bush 41.
    780 AM's in the log, 656 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: KWEN 95.5 Tulsa OK (7/23/18 Es)
    Last New AM Log: 1530 KGBT Harlingen, TX, 12/8/2018

Quote Originally Posted by Don CT View Post
    Surprising as they have CBSN running 24/7.
    And in fact, I'm watching CBSN right now, and they're running live coverage from KHOU in Houston. So yes, it appears that CBS News New York is not anchoring this coverage tonight, that it's instead being handled by CBS stations.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    And in fact, I'm watching CBSN right now, and they're running live coverage from KHOU in Houston. So yes, it appears that CBS News New York is not anchoring this coverage tonight, that it's instead being handled by CBS stations.
    I assume they will call in the lead anchors for Saturday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by crainbebo View Post
    NBC had Steve Kornacki from MSNBC, on last hour with the report. Chris Matthews called in to discuss the President's life. RIP, Bush 41.
    Brian Williams had the night off, and he called in to thank Steve for taking on this task. Steve also took a call from Tom Brokaw. Steve anchored live coverage from NY for 3 hours on MSNBC, as well as the special reports for the broadcast network. Great job by a guy who isn't a traditional anchor.

At 2AM ET, the live coverage ended, and they ran a pre-recorded obit show, anchored by Lester Holt.

As I seem to recall, the night of Princess Diana's death, CBS had no staffing or coverage of its own into the morning hours, running Britain's ITV well into the early Sunday morning hours.

You would think all of the networks have a plan for round-the-clock coverage of news.

Maybe CBS simply decided to let the LA bureau handle the breaking news desk from 6pm PT (when the last feed of "CBS Evening News" ends) until midnight PT. By that time, staff should be arriving in New York for the CBS Morning News.
    However, if that was the plan, you'd expect they would have a proper set with the wood tones and Eye Device desk to mimic New York.

I'm a little curious about NBC, too. If Steve Kornacki was the last man standing at 30 Rock last night, what was the plan if Pres. Bush's death had been announced just a couple of hours earlier? Rachel Maddow with a special report on NBC News? That seems ... awkward at best.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

Quote Originally Posted by PTBoardOp94 View Post
    You would think all of the networks have a plan for round-the-clock coverage of news.
    They do, and you saw it at work last night.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast