• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

George HW Bush dead at age 94

I am seeing on Facebook, that former President George HW Bush has died at the age of 94. He was the last president so far to be defeated for re-election. And his wife only passed away earlier this year, where I had thought she had died at least the last couple of years, but didn't think it was that soon. He became the oldest president at the age of 93 surpassing Gerald Ford who had died in 2006. Here is one of the stories that is reporting his death https://www.etonline.com/former-pre...X7ya901bKLrozB9GkZc5wdc9EMVFqa_ATENCzANycUcyA , or check out your favorite site or online newspaper to read more about his death as well.

Last edited:
He's reunited with Barbara, up in Heaven. May he RIP forever. What a class act he was, no matter what political affiliation you have, and condolences to George W., Laura and the rest of the Bush's.

He's reunited with Barbara, up in Heaven. May he RIP forever. What a class act he was, no matter what political affiliation you have, and condolences to George W., Laura and the rest of the Bush's.

Yep he is I see that she died on April 17th at the age of 92, she would have turned 93 in June had she lived to her next birthday, and the only other long married couple that I can think of that died in the same year June Carter Cash and Johnny Cash. So some can say that he died of a broken heart. I see that they had 6 children, one died of leukemia at the age of 3. The oldest one is George W Bush that of course is the one that followed Bill Clinton as president. He and Barbara married in 1945, and George W Bush was born the following year.

I still remember him on a train coming through a town I happened to be in at the time, during the '92 campaign. He didn't stop, but a bunch of people cheered. I was in a group farther back from the tracks, and he said hello to those who cheered, and "Hello to you guys over there", meaning those of us who weren't cheering.

I wonder what "SNL" will do? They usually have a classic episode in prime time on Saturday and tonight would be a good time for us to see Dana Carvey say, "Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent at this juncture."

I served in the US Army from 1982-1986. I worked near DC from 1987-1990 so I used to tour the area every weekend. The secret service stopped me a lot because I was there at the same time as GW and Barbara as they were taking their morning walk. After the 4th stop in November of 1987, I was introduced to GW and Barbara. I got called back to active duty for Desert Shield/Storm in November of 1989 and went to Iraq.

Last edited:
I served in the US Army from 1982-1986. I worked near DC from 1987-1990 so I used to tour the area every weekend. The secret service stopped me a lot because I was there at the same time as GW and Barbara as they were taking their morning walk. After the 4th stop in November of 1987, I was introduced to GW and Barbara. I got called back to active duty for Desert Shield/Storm in November of 1989 and went to Iraq.
I can't see that happening now. The first family out going for a stroll.

I received a lot of press releases about the passing of President GHWB last night. Most of them were from celebrities sharing personal stories. The first one in my box came from the Oak Ridge Boys, within an hour of his passing. Here's just a bit of what they said:

What can we say that hasn’t been said or WILL be said about the loss of President George Herbert Walker Bush… That he was the 41st President of these United States…. That he was a selfless Naval pilot in the South Pacific… That he was an Ambassador to China… the head of the CIA… a Vice President… a leader… a hero… an example of being a gentlemanly force on the world stage… That he was fortunate enough to have been married to one of the most wonderful women who ever walked this planet? Yes, all of this has been said and will be alluded too with great respect over the next week or so, over and over, by dignitaries and everyday Americans such as ourselves. But how about the fact that he loved Country music and for decades we, The Oak Ridge Boys, were among his favorites.

We started to sing for him in 1982 when he was VP, and we have been singing for him ever since. We have performed our songs on Air Force One, in Kennebunkport many times, and at his home in Houston, whenever we were in the area. We have performed at the White House and several of his key birthday celebrations. But more than any of that, he was a friend. A good friend … a dear friend… we would even call him and sing to him when he wasn’t feeling well and Barbara swore that we had a healing effect on our FRIEND. To say he will be missed is an understatement so let us just say that we will miss our friend. We have laughed together, shared tears together, fished together, hiked together, shared a lot of lobster together, and sang together. Yes… he fancied himself to be quite the bass singer. We loved George Bush #41. Our families loved him. We are better people and, yes, better Americans for having ridden with him. We WILL sing for him again one day. THIS is ASSURED!

The prime time SNL episode had nothing to do with Bush, but the live broadcast di end "Weekend Update" on a serious note, with Colin and Michael saying nice things and clips of Dana Carvey, and Bush himself being so nice but claiming Carvey was exaggerating, while Carvey defended himself. Bush did some of the very things he was criticizing Carvey for, so it was clear Bush was just doing what the writers wanted him to.

I lost track over the weekend of how many newscasters I heard say that
George W Bush had died.

Journalism sure ain't what it used to be.

Every Monday and Wednesday I watch "Roy's Folks" on a local Fox affiliate. I record it just in case but I remember to turn it on to watch live. Only there seemed to be some sort of event for George Bush. Since I record the hour-long 5;00 newscast I can just save that (assuming it started at 5 and ends at 6, though there should probably be enough anwyay) and watch it later. When are other televised events scheduled? It's not really convenient for me to watch live.

I lost track over the weekend of how many newscasters I heard say that
George W Bush had died.

Journalism sure ain't what it used to be.
I was going to respond to someone here who made a similar mistake. It's probably a good idea to point it out so people won't say "GW".
You meant GHW, not GW, right?

Amid all this flowery reminiscing through rose colored glasses I'd like to point out all wasn't butterflies and unicorns during the reign of GHWB. As you read this please remember I am not criticizing the man but rather his performance as president.

GHWB is given kudos for his dropping out of college and joining the navy to go fight in WWII. While this is certainly admirable he was but one of millions of men and women who did the very same thing. He is also given maximum kudos for military heroism but, in fact, he could not save his crew. He was undoubtedly heroic in his choice of military roles but no more or less than a hundred thousand other soldiers. Unlike the others however, they were not transported to lie in state by a nation whose citizens are not old enough to remember the war and have only their families to remember their sacrifice.

In addition to his many years of gubmint service and 8 years as Reagan's VP he apparently didn't learn much about campaigning or public commentary. Although a "nice guy" (as was his president) he was a bit less than a great president. His campaign foibles led to a single term and the military bailed out his legacy as a commander in chief thanks to their accomplishments in the Middle East. It was an expected victory by an overwhelmingly superior military force.

He apparently didn't provide his sons with much introspect in politics because one was a caretaker and the other was a disaster in the identical office. And, although we will never know in our lifetimes, he most likely had a significant hand in the illegal election of GWB. It is good he lived to see the results of that error.

He was born into a charmed life and had every possible advantage that a man of his time could ask for. And he took advantage of virtually all of them. Still, when he reached his pinnacle he was found lacking personally and in his judgement of close friends and advisors.

The presidential bar for presidents hasn't been very high since 1950 and given that comparison GHWB scores reasonably well. But given a wider field to compare to he comes up well short of "great". He was, at best, an average president and unworthy of the over the top adulation the media is guilty of producing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom