• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Do we really need 4 christmas stations?

4 stations is too much:

89.7 (rimshot?)
94.9 KLTY
98.7 KLUV
102.1 KDGE

98.7 may do it every year but is there another Classic Hits station in DFW?

102.1 listeners can probably deal with 102.9 for a while (most 102.1 listeners probably listen to it anyways) or listen to 102.1 HD-2

89.7 is a DFW rimshot i think but they play a crap ton of christmas music I've never heard. Their signal does make it in to texoma though better than 102.1, 94.9 and 98.7.

94.9 has done it every year like 98.7 i think and plays more christmas music than just christian christmas music.

What do you guys think? We really need 4 stations blasting Christmas music?

4 stations is too much:

89.7 (rimshot?)
94.9 KLTY
98.7 KLUV
102.1 KDGE

102.1 listeners can probably deal with 102.9 for a while (most 102.1 listeners probably listen to it anyways) or listen to 102.1 HD-2

89.7 is a DFW rimshot i think but they play a crap ton of christmas music I've never heard. Their signal does make it in to texoma though better than 102.1, 94.9 and 98.7.

94.9 has done it every year like 98.7 i think and plays more christmas music than just christian christmas music.

What do you guys think? We really need 4 stations blasting Christmas music?

If you don't like it, don't listen

Here in Boston, we're lucky to have one of them in the city itself. The others are rimshot stations from New Hampshire and Rhode island.

At one time Dallas had five stations (maybe even 6 with the rimshots) playing country. Not any more.

It's just for a few weeks. It's not permanent. And for some of those stations, its a breath of fresh air.

I've never heard of 89.7 out of Dallas. Do you mean KEOM 88.5 - 61k watts of near flame-throwing power out of Mesquite? They seem to play a good amount of Holiday based songs ignored by their commercial radio counterparts.

I've never heard of 89.7 out of Dallas. Do you mean KEOM 88.5 - 61k watts of near flame-throwing power out of Mesquite? They seem to play a good amount of Holiday based songs ignored by their commercial radio counterparts.

No i mean 89.7 KAWA (WAY-FM). Its a rimshot station probably so that may be why you have never heard it.

I remembered when 89.7 used to be "The Power" and played hard Christian rock. Too bad it flipped to be a KLTY/Air 1 clone.

Aside from that, 89.7 also serves the Texoma market so technically we have 3 stations in the immediate DFW area probably playing the same "All I Want For Christmas is You" or one of the millions of other versions of it.

I remembered when 89.7 used to be "The Power" and played hard Christian rock. Too bad it flipped to be a KLTY/Air 1 clone.

Aside from that, 89.7 also serves the Texoma market so technically we have 3 stations in the immediate DFW area probably playing the same "All I Want For Christmas is You" or one of the millions of other versions of it.

89.7 doesn't play stuff like "All i want for Christmas is you" i think they play more christmas music that talks about the Lord or God. They play a whole bunch of "Christmas" music i have never heard in my life. I think they don't even play Christmas songs that most other stations in the country do.

4 stations is too much:

KEOM on 88.5 is Classic Hits. This is the first year for 89.7 to go all Christmas as far as I'm aware, 102.1 is newer as well. For the longest time we had 103.7 doing it with 94.9 and that seemed like a healthy mix. It made sense for KLUV to pick it up after KVIL flipped but 4 might not seem as excessive as it appears, they're all doing it differently from one another. 102.1 is going to be more currents based, KLUV more classics. KLTY is more than likely playing tracks KLUV and Star will not, and certainly KAWA is going to be the most removed from them all.

I have absolutely no idea if one of our Spanish-speaking broadcasters go all Christmas. I'd assume one of them do.

KEOM on 88.5 is Classic Hits. This is the first year for 89.7 to go all Christmas as far as I'm aware, 102.1 is newer as well. For the longest time we had 103.7 doing it with 94.9 and that seemed like a healthy mix. It made sense for KLUV to pick it up after KVIL flipped but 4 might not seem as excessive as it appears, they're all doing it differently from one another. 102.1 is going to be more currents based, KLUV more classics. KLTY is more than likely playing tracks KLUV and Star will not, and certainly KAWA is going to be the most removed from them all.

I have absolutely no idea if one of our Spanish-speaking broadcasters go all Christmas. I'd assume one of them do.

KAWA went Christmas last year. But in my opinion Star and KAWA should leave the Christmas music to KLTY and KLUV.

Yes. The only way to defeat the forces of evil in the War on Christmas is for every station to play the Mariah Carey Christmas Album on repeat every day for two months.

/sarcasm

Do we need 4 Christmas music stations? Apparently so. Sirius XM has a half dozen or so. It's essentially one month out of the year that this happens.
It may be that 4 is too many, but they'll figure that out when the ratings come in and adjust next year.

Do we need 4 Christmas music stations? Apparently so. Sirius XM has a half dozen or so. It's essentially one month out of the year that this happens.
It may be that 4 is too many, but they'll figure that out when the ratings come in and adjust next year.

I'm pretty sure last year DFW had the same 4 stations doing Christmas music.

89.7...they play more christmas music that talks about the Lord or God...
Pardon my sarcasm, but any station that calls itself "Way" anything plays Christmas music 24/7/366, and not only on leap years.

Looking at the December 2018 ratings, it would appear that Star 102.1 benefitted quite a bit from the switch to Christmas music, KLTY benefitted a little, KLUV none at all, and KAWA saw its ratings drop a tiny bit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom