KNHC C89 drops dramatically. Why?

Thread: KNHC C89 drops dramatically. Why?

KNHC C89 drops dramatically. Why?

Hey did you notice that KNHC dropped from a .8 to a .5? I'd say that is very unusual for them. I wonder what happened?

1. Did the ppm panel move dramatically South or North? This station does not have full market coverage but has good penetration into Seattle, Bellevue and South King County/South Snohomish County.
    2. Perhaps one of the students at Nathan Hale turned off the Nielsen encoder equipment for a week. That can happen and you lose all that data.
    or
    3. Maybe the Programming sucks. Have there been any dramatic changes lately? EDM can be a tricky format. I would prefer that they take their cue's from some of the top European EDM stations. I personally like listening to the hot Ukrainian stations for EDM. C89 is too driving hard on the tempo.

Your thoughts?

Steve
    You'll find me at the top of your tower, where the red blinking light is flashing.

When you're getting numbers that low, a .3 difference might be statistically loss of one panelist. Maybe they weren't listening in a given week? It happens. That, and you're being too concerned about 6+ numbers. More concerning would be if their target demographic range broken out of 18-34 took a 50% drop.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FMSteve View Post
    Hey did you notice that KNHC dropped from a .8 to a .5? I'd say that is very unusual for them. I wonder what happened?
    Nothing. A 0.5 and a 0.8 are the same number.

1. Did the ppm panel move dramatically South or North? This station does not have full market coverage but has good penetration into Seattle, Bellevue and South King County/South Snohomish County.
    The panel is distributed in each MSA proportionally in each country.

2. Perhaps one of the students at Nathan Hale turned off the Nielsen encoder equipment for a week. That can happen and you lose all that data.
    Unless the studios are at the transmitter site, it is unlikely that any student would have access to the encoder. Further, the encoder has alarms that are usually set up to notify the engineer and manager if the encoder fails.

3. Maybe the Programming sucks. Have there been any dramatic changes lately? EDM can be a tricky format. I would prefer that they take their cue's from some of the top European EDM stations. I personally like listening to the hot Ukrainian stations for EDM. C89 is too driving hard on the tempo.
    More likely it is what Kelly A suggests. With a very thin cume, one absent panelist can make a big difference. Or a change in listening by a heavy listener... a single one.... who spent more time with another station.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by FMSteve View Post
    Hey did you notice that KNHC dropped from a .8 to a .5? I'd say that is very unusual for them.
    I'm that guy in the room who will say to wait for the next book and see what happens before jumping to conclusions.

No big money is at risk here. It's all supposed to be a teaching experience.

KNHC's ratings do not matter in the big scheme of things. It is a "juicy" pump up for staff, but the ratings are mostly meaningless. I would love to see this innovative radio station continue to do well, but let's get back to the basics. It is still owned by The Seattle Public School system, and still operates mainly as a training ground for young broadcasters. Many have graduated from the program to go on to successful radio careers. Their measure is not in ratings, but in results to their students, advisers, and an overall benefit to Seattle Public Schools.

It's a high school radio station. Granted, a very damn good high school radio station. But a high school radio station nevertheless.
    My body is a temple; Ancient and crumbling. Probably cursed and haunted...