• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Layoffs coming to Hubbard Seattle?

I have to admit - I absolutely failed to consider the real estate angle. Good points!

Not to further this thread's OT direction - but what "real estate" are you talking about? Their studios are in an office park (I've been there). They don't own that. I can't say for certain whether they own their TX site(s) but I bet those are also leased.

Warm on-air is hinting about the "new direction" they're going come Dec. 26 - More of a Hot AC spin if not an outright flip? No more 70's/80's in favor of a playlist that will compliment Movin'?

Not to further this thread's OT direction - but what "real estate" are you talking about? Their studios are in an office park (I've been there). They don't own that. I can't say for certain whether they own their TX site(s) but I bet those are also leased.

That wasn't talking about Seattle, that was about West Palm Beach. I have no idea what Alpha owns down there. I'm going to take an educated guess here and say that they lease the Tiger site, but own the Warm site. Is it possible that they could own the tower but lease space in the transmitter building? I'm not entirely sure why they would do that, but I don't think KRWM is on the same tower as the other Cougar stations, although I think that's the same tower that KLSW has a permit to move to.

Warm on-air is hinting about the "new direction" they're going come Dec. 26 - More of a Hot AC spin if not an outright flip? No more 70's/80's in favor of a playlist that will compliment Movin'?

That direction would be down, down the drain. Everyone pretty much speculating they are going to go after Bender. Will they buy out his non compete? He and Jubal in the same building after all these years...

Warm as well as the other properties with the exception of 92.5 have been a complete disaster. (Click Rock, Country on 98.9 ) Warm has an identity crisis the list of bodies that are under the bus Kaye and Crew drove over is long. Maybe now that Kaye is out and Ann Marie is in the culture will change.

WARM needs to just go away. The name alone and brand is old, tired, and brings up the vision of white privileged soccer moms in BMW SUVS picking up their kids from east side private schools.

They were already the NEW Warm with their latest morning show, logo they spent to rebrand and all the costs that go with that... so what will it be now... the NEW NEW NEWEST Warm.

A new PD as well might be needed over there....

I'm going to take an educated guess here and say that they lease the Tiger site, but own the Warm site. Is it possible that they could own the tower but lease space in the transmitter building? I'm not entirely sure why they would do that, but I don't think KRWM is on the same tower as the other Cougar stations, although I think that's the same tower that KLSW has a permit to move to.

Your guess would be incorrect. Most of the stations are leasing transmitter building space, tower space, and in many instances a common broadcast antenna. The two big landlords are American Tower Company and Ratelco.

WARM needs to just go away. The name alone and brand is old, tired, and brings up the vision of white privileged soccer moms in BMW SUVS picking up their kids from east side private schools.

I can't comment on the rest of your post, as I really have no idea what Warm should do, or if it should do anything -- but there are plenty of white, privileged soccer moms driving BMW SUVs in the confines of the Seattle city limits. If that's their audience, they're definitely around.

Warm as well as the other properties with the exception of 92.5 have been a complete disaster. (Click Rock, Country on 98.9 ) Warm has an identity crisis the list of bodies that are under the bus Kaye and Crew drove over is long. Maybe now that Kaye is out and Ann Marie is in the culture will change.

Prior to 2018, Warm did good with women, but mornings have been a problem.

White privileged soccer moms are secondary to Warm, they pursue a different type of audience.

They were already the NEW Warm with their latest morning show, logo they spent to rebrand and all the costs that go with that... so what will it be now... the NEW NEW NEWEST Warm.

Might agree with you on that, but not for the stated reasoning.

Why?

"White privileged soccer moms are secondary to Warm, they pursue a different type of audience." -

It still doesn't take away from the original point and the issue that the perception in the market place is it's just that. White Privileged Soccer Moms in SUVs. I don't know what audience you are speaking of they are pursuing. Not the young female African American audience. It's not the 30 year old dude in construction swinging a hammer on the job site. Pretty sure the filter is female 25-54 but I'd say 33-45 is the sweet spot. Her name is Heather and she has 2 kids. She likes to be active and up on the latest blah blah blah blah... need I keep going....

The sweet spot in Seattle radio is Diverse, Underprivileged Fortnite Dads on Buses.

The thing that I hate above all else on this board is when someone suggests another person should be fired. There’s not a board for people to suggest you should be canned from your Walmart greeter job Robert, but maybe there should be. If you’re going to suggest KRWM needs a new PD, let’s look at some actual data.

Ron Harrell took over KRWM in January 2016, so for a comparison I’m using a neutral pre-Christmas book (October 2015) as a benchmark of where the station was with Carol Handley and looking year-to-year. Demo is Women 25-54, daypart M-F 6a-7p.

October 2015, KRWM was tied for 7th and 46% of their audience was in the 55-64 cell.

Fast forward a year to October 2016, and KRWM is ranked #2, their share increased by 42% and 25-44’s went from making up 14% of their audience to 34% of their audience.

In October 2017, KRWM was up a tenth of a share point from the year before, ranked #3, and they had their highest 25-34 composition probably ever at 20%.

So over the first two years of Ron Harrell as PD, they improved 4 rank positions and had a much more even distribution of age cell composition.

KSWD signed on in December of 2017 and impacted KRWM minimally, but it wasn’t until July of 2018 that the floor fell out under Warm. They went from #4 Women 25-54 in June to #11 in July losing 36% of their AQH. KSWD had been on-air for 7 months at that point and it’s not as if listeners suddenly realized they needed more Hall & Oates in their life and switched from Warm to The Sound. In fact, KRWM shares more W25-54 audience with KQMV, KPLZ, KBKS and KJR-FM than they do with KSWD.

It looks like what happened is 7% of KRWM’s W25-54 panelists left the panel after June – that may not sound like an earth shattering number, but the majority were heavy/deep listeners. To put it in perspective the five previous months 0% of KRWM’s W25-54 panelists left the panel, so 7% in one month is a big hit. It also represented a 62% decline of heavy listeners.

The trend continued in August, September and October and then KRWM saw a slight rebound in November. They’ll likely have a solid December and Holiday, and then we’ll see what 2019 brings.

Overall, the station went from hovering between the 3rd or 4th ranked station consistently every month to dropping out of the top 10 with Women 25-54 in one month’s time. That’s clearly the result of a panel change, not programming decisions.

You make a good point Pirate. Generally programming jobs are lost because of a revenue downturn over period of time. Not because the 6+ numbers take a dip.

The thing that I hate above all else on this board is when someone suggests another person should be fired. There’s not a board for people to suggest you should be canned from your Walmart greeter job Robert, but maybe there should be. If you’re going to suggest KRWM needs a new PD, let’s look at some actual data.

Ron Harrell took over KRWM in January 2016, so for a comparison I’m using a neutral pre-Christmas book (October 2015) as a benchmark of where the station was with Carol Handley and looking year-to-year. Demo is Women 25-54, daypart M-F 6a-7p.

October 2015, KRWM was tied for 7th and 46% of their audience was in the 55-64 cell.

Fast forward a year to October 2016, and KRWM is ranked #2, their share increased by 42% and 25-44’s went from making up 14% of their audience to 34% of their audience.

In October 2017, KRWM was up a tenth of a share point from the year before, ranked #3, and they had their highest 25-34 composition probably ever at 20%.

So over the first two years of Ron Harrell as PD, they improved 4 rank positions and had a much more even distribution of age cell composition.

KSWD signed on in December of 2017 and impacted KRWM minimally, but it wasn’t until July of 2018 that the floor fell out under Warm. They went from #4 Women 25-54 in June to #11 in July losing 36% of their AQH. KSWD had been on-air for 7 months at that point and it’s not as if listeners suddenly realized they needed more Hall & Oates in their life and switched from Warm to The Sound. In fact, KRWM shares more W25-54 audience with KQMV, KPLZ, KBKS and KJR-FM than they do with KSWD.

It looks like what happened is 7% of KRWM’s W25-54 panelists left the panel after June – that may not sound like an earth shattering number, but the majority were heavy/deep listeners. To put it in perspective the five previous months 0% of KRWM’s W25-54 panelists left the panel, so 7% in one month is a big hit. It also represented a 62% decline of heavy listeners.

The trend continued in August, September and October and then KRWM saw a slight rebound in November. They’ll likely have a solid December and Holiday, and then we’ll see what 2019 brings.

Overall, the station went from hovering between the 3rd or 4th ranked station consistently every month to dropping out of the top 10 with Women 25-54 in one month’s time. That’s clearly the result of a panel change, not programming decisions.

Excellent points. Additionally Harrell inherited Allan & Ashly, a duo who never worked together. It was a miracle Harrell was able to get what he got out of the the show.

You make a good point Pirate. Generally programming jobs are lost because of a revenue downturn over period of time. Not because the 6+ numbers take a dip.

Now we will get the usual comments about how inaccurate the ratings are because 6 or 7 panelists left the sample.

We'd have a lower margin of error if the sample were quadrupled (even doubling it really does not have much of a mathematical impact on error). We'd have a bigger sample if stations paid for it. But they won't because what they have now is very expensive and it is generally adequate for the intended purpose.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom