• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Nbc sports radio to cease 24/7 programming

There are a lot of sports talk networks, and most stations would rather have local talent talking local teams. This network was competing against the ESPN Radio Network, CBS Sports Radio Network, and Fox Sports Radio Network. How many of these things are actually profitable, when most of them are only used in fringe time? The fact is that NBC Sports was mainly using this as a branding thing, to further their brand via radio. They can do the same thing with podcasts or their own streaming channel, and not depend on local stations to carry their content.

There are actually five full time sports networks, ESPN, Fox, CBS, SB Nation and NBC. But here's what does not make sense. NBC wants to continue offering AM Drive and PM Drive shows. But that's likely the time when affiliates are doing their own programming. They only need the network for nights and weekends.

There are a few NBC Sports Network affiliates I know of, Phoenix, Denver, Las Vegas. Those cities, I believe, have at least four sports stations. NBC is probably fourth among the group, with SB Nation in last place. But I know of a number of affiliates for SB Nation too.

This will either open up a channel on SiriusXM or the channel with stay on with looped "This channel is not on the air at this time" announcements during its dark hours. It is often pre-empted for play-by-play anyway, as are most of SXM's outside-sourced sports talk channels.

The fact is that NBC Sports was mainly using this as a branding thing, to further their brand via radio.

ESPN Radio exists for exactly the same reason. It's just that they do a much better job of not only promoting their brand, but also providing entertaining programming, than NBC does.

Last edited:
There are actually five full time sports networks, ESPN, Fox, CBS, SB Nation and NBC. But here's what does not make sense. NBC wants to continue offering AM Drive and PM Drive shows. But that's likely the time when affiliates are doing their own programming. They only need the network for nights and weekends.

There are so few large market stations carrying NBC Sports Radio that most have been attached to the network around the clock, except for local play-by-play or maybe a local hour or two. For example, the station in Honolulu has one hour of local programming a day, at 2pm HST. I assume most stations will try to join up with another of the sports networks, and maybe carry Mike Florio.

There are so few large market stations carrying NBC Sports Radio

Primarily because NBC doesn't own any radio stations. ESPN has bought a few stations to guarantee major market clears, CBS Sports has a deal with Entercom, and Fox has a deal with iHeart. NBC is the lone wolf with no owned stations or relationships with any major groups.

The NBCSR station in Phoenix was a Yahoo Sports Radio affiliate before switching to NBC several years ago. They still have a number of local brokered sports hosts there, so I can see them going back to SB Nation Radio (which is what Yahoo is called these days). ESPN, Fox, CBS are all cleared on other stations.

The NBCSR station in Phoenix was a Yahoo Sports Radio affiliate before switching to NBC several years ago. They still have a number of local brokered sports hosts there, so I can see them going back to SB Nation Radio (which is what Yahoo is called these days). ESPN, Fox, CBS are all cleared on other stations.

And few will notice. KDUS has been pretty much a nonentity since it began in 1997. If it weren't for Bob Kemp (the only on-air guy actually employed by Hubbard, AFAIK), they would have nothing to offer. Of course, there's so little to talk about these days, what with all 4 of our pro teams being anywhere from choke-artists (Diamondbacks) to flat-out putrid (the rest). Their only saving grace is that they aren't required to be suckups for those bad teams, unlike our local FM and TV sports outlets.

Lets be honest, the only show that NBC had going for them was PFT Live. At least they were smart enough to keep Florio but I wouldn't be surprised if he moves out of NBC once its done and ends up on say FSR. Get rid of Clay Travis and you actually get a good morning show that can compete with ESPN Golic & Wingo. Outside of that NBC had pretty bad quality overall. I can only imagine what SB Nation Radio would be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom