• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Sound is #4....

By doing what, the same thing they're doing now on free over the air radio? People already know if they want to hear radio where to go.

Even though personal speaker sales are supposed to be huge this holiday season, I can see a huge backlash coming once the general public learns that these devices are harvesting data on everything you say in the home. And I mean, everything. If it detects a dog barking, you'll see a lot more ads for pet food and products from Amazon. These things make Facebook privacy concerns look like Fort Knox. Speakers aren't being offered because Google or Amazon are trying to be convenient, it's for harvesting your personal information and then selling you stuff. Of course if speaker users only read the fine print in the terms of use when setting up their Alexa account, they would see that they're signing all their privacy away.

And you're concerned that advertisers driving radio formats are a problem?

I doubt they really care all that much about data harvesting. Look at how many people use the internet, their smart phone -- all these other data harvesting mediums. Data harvesting hasn't stopped that. If they really cared about data harvesting and the potential bugging of their own homes, smart speaker sales would be zero.

If they really cared about data harvesting and the potential bugging of their own homes, smart speaker sales would be zero.

It might affect how they use it. For example, they might unplug it at times when it's not in use.

This might also cause Congress to look into some possible legislation affecting privacy and these devices.

I doubt they really care all that much about data harvesting. Look at how many people use the internet, their smart phone -- all these other data harvesting mediums. Data harvesting hasn't stopped that. If they really cared about data harvesting and the potential bugging of their own homes, smart speaker sales would be zero.

For all the same reasons millions of people were quick to share all their personal information on social media sites like Facebook. Now that the facts have been flowing out via the press about the impacts of data harvesting and personal security risks of putting your personal information on social media platforms, I would hope that consumers would be more wary of just agreeing to the terms of service on those speakers, than just clicking the "I agree" box and regretting it later.

Kelly, you raise some really good points that are probably beyond the scope of this board. I heard a TED talk recently in which the speaker said he and his team read the terms of service for many apps people had and it took the better part of three days. If companies expect their customers to read these agreements, they need to be significantly less wordy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom